Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT Limited Impressions after 1k

We finally made it over the 1k mark over the weekend. Saphira was purchased on 22 Feb. I know that's not a lot of miles and she's still being broken in, but I thought it might be enough to give my thoughts on likes and dislikes so far. We traded in our 2014 RT limited and had a 2009 RS before that. Totally stock right now running 20 psi/ 28 psi, premium fuel. Here goes in no particular order:

Windscreen - Definitely shorter than the 2014. At the top position, can really feel the buffeting at highway speeds- especially the passenger

Stock Seat/Ergonomics- More comfortable than the 2014, except it's too wide. Seat heater is a welcome addition. Passenger definitely sits higher. I'm 5'6" and my wife is 5' nuthin'. The driver's seat and reach is very comfortable to me. When my wife is driving, she has to sit forward in the seat in order to reach the brakes. Longer handlebars would be better so she could sit back, but she wouldn't be able to reach the brake pedal.

BRP Connect/Soundsystem- stereo is way better than the 2014. I like the concept of the connect system, but it could be more user friendly. Stopping to take a quick picture is a pain in the butt isn't so quick. Disconnect phone take pic, reconnect phone wait for it to connect. For us personally, better to have a separate GPS unit. Also, when the Connect is taking up the right screen, you can't see your RPMs. I know Can Am has the technology to put the tach/speedo on the left screen. If I remember correctly on the 2009, you could toggle back and forth from tach/speedo to read which one was numbers/gage.

Glove box- Just not a fan. Once you put a USB cable in (yes, I need to get a shorter one), it gets crowded pretty quick with an iTouch and iPhone 6, key chain, pen and pad.

Paint- Didn't see the blemish others have talked about. Coming from the silver satin, we really love the Petrol Metallic/Dark Edition! That metal flake just pops in the sunlight!

Storage- Love the extra room in the top case, just waiting for vendors to come up with organizer options. I'm glad it's removable, or it wouldn't fit in our toy hauler. Love the new location of the latches on the side bags.

Fueling/Checking oil- Love the fact that only the driver seat opens when fueling. Doesn't open as wide as the 2014, and I have trouble removing the dipstick to check oil

Handling- Don't test ride if you don't want to buy! I had Elka's on the 2009, and stock on the 2014. All I can say is WOW! I don't know if they changed anything in the stock shocks, but it feels so "planted" and smooth. One of the salespersons said when the Can Am reps were in town, they told them that they engineers brought in the width of the front end. The results were the RT's don't "wander" around like they used too. I don't know if I'm drinking the Kool'aid he was offering, but the ryde is sooooo smooth. I'm usually going faster than I think I'm going

MPG-Here's what I tracked so far: 32.1, 33.3, 33.7, 31.6, 36, 30.3, 41.6 The last one was all highway miles from Tucson/Sierra Vista/Bisbee/Tombstone/Tucson

Braking- Feels much improved. Don't know if I'm getting more "leverage" due to the new angle/position of the pedal. Rock solid!

Whining noise at certain RPMs/gear- I really think it's the fuel pump. Nothing is as loud as the fuel pump on the '14 so I hope someone figures what it really is.

The only nitpick I have is the front fenders rear reflector sticker. My 2008 had the sticker, the 2014 had a plastic reflector. The sticker looks kinda cheesy.

Well, that's all I can think of right now. Would love to get some Elkas again and the sway bar, but right now we're saving up to get toilet paper when it becomes available.

Erick

1k.jpg
    2020 Petrol Metallic RT-Limited Dark Edition

2014 Silver Platinum Satin RT-Limited SE6 Project Road Warrior Edition (previous ride)

2009 Red SM5 (Previous Ride)

Retired MSgt ('89-'13) U.S. Air Force - A-10 Crew Chief

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the review! thinking hard about trading for newer and paying attention to all the new owner comments !

Spyder Garage

Have you notice any difference in bluetooth audio vs FM on yours. On my 2020 RTL the bluetooh at max volume is about 30 volume of what is on FM. I do straight bluetooth and don't use the BRP connect app for my Sirus XM app.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkkent View Post
    Have you notice any difference in bluetooth audio vs FM on yours. On my 2020 RTL the bluetooh at max volume is about 30 volume of what is on FM. I do straight bluetooth and don't use the BRP connect app for my Sirus XM app.
    I have not had the opportunity to try listening to the stereo via bluetooth. I tried using my iTouch, and unfortunately the model I have is too old for it to pair.
    2020 Petrol Metallic RT-Limited Dark Edition

2014 Silver Platinum Satin RT-Limited SE6 Project Road Warrior Edition (previous ride)

2009 Red SM5 (Previous Ride)

Retired MSgt ('89-'13) U.S. Air Force - A-10 Crew Chief

Spyder Garage

Well said! I have 1K on my 2020 Asphalt Grey RTL. I have a similar experience to you. My exceptions or added comments:

Windscreen - Less coverage overall. I've added a lower level wing to the sides of the windscreen.
    Glove box - I like it and I've added a dual USB connector to provide power to devices when I don't want BRP Connect.
    GPS - I added a Garmin Zumo XT because the small GPS screen with BRP connect was just not enough for me.
    Wining Noise - I don't hear anything.
    Seat - I and my passenger like.
    Long Bars/Short Reach - Love these bars; as good as the TriAxis bars were on my 2015 RTL.

Overall loving it at this point.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.