Spyder Garage

Default Anyone installed a CB Radio on a 2018-'20 Spyder RTL?

Has anyone tried to install a CB Radio on a 2018 - 2020 Spyder RTL

I know they stopped in 2017 RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use a Midland 75-822 handheld with Sena SR10 bluetooth adapter. Powered from USB to cig adapter. The Sena extra PTT button is next to my left hand.

IMG_1115.jpeg. IMG_1110.jpeg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

As FLAMEWINGER stated above that is the best set up out there. Bells CB can tune one up for you and you can run Wilson Fiberglass antenna off the Trailer Hitch that is tuneable. Have recommended this set up to many a satisfied RFTW participant.
    2020 RT LIMITED (Dark) , Caulk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

wheres dave

Spyder Garage

20200119_120727.jpg

We have installed several of the J&M Motorcycle CB units. They work far better than attaching a hand held to your bar. Full power CB.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My handheld has full bike power and is not running on batteries. The J&M comes with a radio which is not needed. Wish it was just a CB. Not sure if the J&M is bluetooth.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    My handheld has full bike power and is not running on batteries. The J&M comes with a radio which is not needed. Wish it was just a CB. Not sure if the J&M is bluetooth.
    Power was referring to transmit power. There is a considerable difference from a handheld to a permanent install. MUCH longer transmit range as well as better reception from a full size antenna that is matched to the radio.

The music functions in the J&M do not add to its cost, having models without them would cost more to produce due to small quantities. We never use the built in music functions and they do not get in the way whatsoever.

Yes, most of the J&M units we install, including my own are interfaced to Sena bluetooth headsets. Overall a very clean and OEM looking install.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The J&M comes with a radio which is not needed. Wish it was just a CB.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The music functions in the J&M do not add to its cost, having models without them would cost more to produce due to small quantities. We never use the built in music functions and they do not get in the way whatsoever.
    Has the J&M CB changed recently? I have several here on my classic Suzukis (we also ride with a bunch of Goldwings). The only "music" function is the AUX input that plugs into my XM radio. The only "radio" function is a weather band radio.

We also appreciate the intercom system that is not possible with the hand-held unit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Has the J&M CB changed recently? I have several here on my classic Suzukis (we also ride with a bunch of Goldwings). The only "music" function is the AUX input that plugs into my XM radio. The only "radio" function is a weather band radio.

We also appreciate the intercom system that is not possible with the hand-held unit.

No change. The Aux input for a music player is what I was referring to. There is no FM radio or other stereo functions.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Are the J&M hard to install

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Being new to Spyders (still waiting for a chance to go get our first one), I am anticipating a bit more difficulty than what was required on my classic Suzukis, mainly due to all the Tupperware. I do not plan on integrating at all with the Spyder audio (if that's even possible), just running the J&M all on its own.

My Suzuki installs were not that hard, as long as you know basic hand tools and electrical connections. Having a meter to tune the antenna will help, too.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kbaldwin View Post
    Has anyone tried to install a CB Radio on a 2018 - 2020 Spyder RTL

I know they stopped in 2017 RTL
    Hi Dave here
    I have everything you need to put a CB on your Spyder, the midland CB the SENA SM10 & Cable
    and the mounting items along with the ball mount for the back of the CB so it will mount on the
    RAM ball type mount.
    Give me a call ( I am in California ) 209-887-3283 with this lock down I am here all the time
    check me out online at motorcycledave.com
    STAY SAFE & STAY IN
    Dave

Spyder Garage

Yes, most of the J&M units we install, including my own are interfaced to Sena bluetooth headsets. Overall a very clean and OEM looking install.
    Houston is a little too far to come to you for help, but I do have some questions. How do you mount it? How do you make it Bluetooth? How and where did you put the antenna? I have communicated with J&M and they tell me their CB won't work on my RT (won't mount, won't BT, and they can't help with the antenna.) They do have an antenna kit that will replace the BRP OEM mount and antenna, but the antenna is pre-tuned for the OEM installation and isn't tunable if I add an extension cable required to go the extra distance to the handle bars.

I did find out from J&M that the antenna screw hole on their replacement mount is the same size as most antennas (like FireStik) but they haven't answered me if I can buy the mount separately instead of the kit

Any help is very appreciated.
    Last edited by CrashDavis; 03-27-2020 at 02:55 PM. Reason: clarity
    2017 RT Limited

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm right here!
    Call me (209)887-3283 7 days a week 9:00AM to 8:00PM Pacific time
    I have all the mounts the SR10 & cable with push to talk button
    Motorcycle Dave's LOGO #1.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I recently modified the auto adapter for the Midland so it gets power from both the 5v USB ports in the Dual USB outlet. I use the Sena SR10 for bluetooth along with PTT extension button. I power the USB from a fuse block that has both + & - posts. If you try and power the CB from the battery you will get serious engine interference. Group riding is close and the rubber duck antenna is plenty. External antenna would be difficult to install anywhere.

$100 for CB
    $200+ for Sena
    $40-50 for extra components.

J&M CB $430 requires corded headsets. I'm unable to figure out how to make it bluetooth capable.

My Setup

5B8964E0-715C-452E-9B7F-D9523056D549.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

J&M CB $430 requires corded headsets. I'm unable to figure out how to make it bluetooth capable.
    I believe they have a BT adapter but IIRC it would take some harness mod to get power to it in the Spyder. The adapter is not weatherproof.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Power was referring to transmit power. There is a considerable difference from a handheld to a permanent install. MUCH longer transmit range as well as better reception from a full size antenna that is matched to the radio.

What do you do to get it to interface with bluetooth? I thought they were all cable headsets.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I am curious as to how jcthorne has been installing the antenna for the J&M CB's. I installed a J&M on my 2019 Spyder RT SE 6 and am trying to mount an antenna in the open antenna location on the left side of the rear trunk. Having a hard time getting an antenna to mount there securely. Any ideas? In response what I have done is purchased a dongle from Sierra Electronics which is a blue tooth connection for the CB and is a J&M product. Using the dongle I can blue tooth my cell phone to the CB and using Pandora and GPS from my phone have stereo radio and gps through my helmet headsets from the CB. All works great but still fighting the antenna
    problem.

Dan Forker

I forgot to mention, with the blue tooth dongle hooked up to the CB you can also make and receive telephone calls on your cell phone if that's a big deal to you. Personally, I don't think it's a good deal and I just decline incoming calls until I am not moving, but that alternative is available.
    Last edited by Bartender; 04-15-2021 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Added information

Spyder Garage

Installed a J&M CB on my brothers bike. Antenna tuned up nicely. Overall it was an easy and clean install. If I decide to add a CB, it will be a J&M unit.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

For any of you that are planning to add a J&M CB to your Can Am, you should be aware that J&M has ceased making that unit and the only supply of the 2003 JM CB is left over stock or used units, so don't delay installing one if that's what you want. Certainly my preference.

Spyder Garage

I recently modified the auto adapter for the Midland so it gets power from both the 5v USB ports in the Dual USB outlet. I use the Sena SR10 for bluetooth along with PTT extension button. I power the USB from a fuse block that has both + & - posts. If you try and power the CB from the battery you will get serious engine interference. Group riding is close and the rubber duck antenna is plenty. External antenna would be difficult to install anywhere.

$100 for CB
    $200+ for Sena
    $40-50 for extra components.

My Setup

5B8964E0-715C-452E-9B7F-D9523056D549.jpg
    To use the J&M with Sena Bluetooth headsets, you connect a Sena SR10 module to the J&M headset output connector.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

To use the J&M with Sena Bluetooth headsets, you connect a Sena SR10 module to the J&M headset output connector.
    Thanks JT though from the above post it seems like that might be moot.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The headsets connect to a large DIN plug. The Sena SR10 has a much smaller connector on all the cables that work with a 2-way radios. I've used J&M headsets for 30+ years and the connectors don't work together. The Sena Freewire might work as it doesn't have a PTT button and can get separate cable for Harley or Honda systems. Not sure which one works. Or if the Freewire is what is needed. Harley or Honda?

Still can't figure it out.

J&M headset plug.Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 9.36.21 PM.jpg Sena SR10 connected cable Screen Shot 2021-04-15 at 9.41.11 PM.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Still can't figure it out.
    JC made a post some time back about using the SR10 adapter cable that doesn't have a connector on it and putting a connector on it that fit the J&M. I don't remember if he posted, or not, the pinout and what wire goes to which pin.

I think the Freewire can be be used with the Spyder OEM CB but you would have make an adapter to switch some wires around to correctly mate the HD plug to the Spyder connector. That would be the same case with using the J&M.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)