Spyder Garage

Default Which rear shock to buy for Ryker rally?

I just installed slingmods 3-piece luggage system on the rally. It is fantastic! But we bottomed our a few times with the KYB shock - I adjusted preload to maximum and also the red dial for dampening is set to 4. I am thinking of replacing the shock - any recommendations?
    2019 Rally , Black / Yellow

Spyder Garage

I know what you mean - I had the problem 2up&Topcase when my FOX on the back was not adjusted to maximum - its now on the maximum and no more problems
    .. but I have the closed Fender on the 900, so less space than your rally - on what point of the back did you bottomed ??
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

It seems to bottom out in the rear - the frame for the top case has hit the fender - not very often but with low amplitude bumps. So I maxed out the preload. It has improved but still bottomed out once or twice

Spyder Garage

I would ask slingmods direkt .. they sell a lot of them - they should know what to do ..
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

I'm guessing you are exceeding the maximum 438 lb load limit of the Rally with all that crap on there with a passenger.

Spyder Garage

No I don’t think so- my wife and I combined weight is around 325lbs. My wife is a small lady. Plus maybe an extra 50lbs for the system. No luggage on it. I’m thinking because the rear is extended that it changes the fulcrum - it’s a longer lever system and the weight is more at the end of that longer “lever” (the extended rear end). - so that may change the weight limit. The weight limit is now changed because the mechanics have changed. Anyway - all that being said probably will need stronger spring . Will keep ya posted

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes if you or someone else comes up with a stronger rear spring for the Rally please let us know.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by snayl135 View Post
    No I don’t think so- my wife and I combined weight is around 325lbs. My wife is a small lady. Plus maybe an extra 50lbs for the system. No luggage on it. I’m thinking because the rear is extended that it changes the fulcrum - it’s a longer lever system and the weight is more at the end of that longer “lever” (the extended rear end). - so that may change the weight limit. The weight limit is now changed because the mechanics have changed. Anyway - all that being said probably will need stronger spring . Will keep ya posted
    The gentleman from Austria mention that with two up and some luggage his Ryker would engage VSS during some cornering situations..he went on to say that he felt the bikes centre of gravity changed enough to cause Nana to take over....and to carry some of the touring weight in a tank bag to centralize the CoG.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    The gentleman from Austria mention that with two up and some luggage his Ryker would engage VSS during some cornering situations..he went on to say that he felt the bikes centre of gravity changed enough to cause Nana to take over....and to carry some of the touring weight in a tank bag to centralize the CoG.
    He Geep, my VSS had a problem with the instable bearing of the steering wheel sensor, (not funny) - so it worked to early in left curves and too late in right curves (not funny)...now BRP found the solution(hopefully) ..its a different story..

if you ryde here over the Alps - a good passenger helps a lot to reach the speed of the motorcycles over the mountains (my 900 = "optimized for that) - but its better to have some more weight on the front shocks - the FOX is able to hold the maximum-weight ....

good to hear that I`m a "genleman-ryder" for you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    He Geep, my VSS had a problem with the instable bearing of the steering wheel sensor, (not funny) - so it worked to early in left curves and too late in right curves (not funny)...now BRP found the solution(hopefully) ..its a different story..

if you ryde here over the Alps - a good passenger helps a lot to reach the speed of the motorcycles over the mountains (my 900 = "optimized for that) - but its better to have some more weight on the front shocks - the FOX is able to hold the maximum-weight ....

good to hear that I`m a "genleman-ryder" for you
    Thanks for straightening me out...should I delete the misleading info?

Spyder Garage

its OK .. we bought her for 2up tours and are very happy - would not change in the moment ! maybe I change the red sway-bar to the BajaRon and look than for front-shocks .. rest is perfect !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMLp3N-R79M

Spyder Garage

If anyone upgrades their rear Rally shock, I'm in the market to purchase an original one.
    Calling an illegal immigrant an undocumented worker, is like calling the corner drug dealer an unlicensed Pharmacist.
    2019 900 ACE , Stock Black

Spyder Garage

I may have one for ya soon. So I called a Elka shock/suspension, apparently it’s pretty common with the Ryker... once you add the passenger seat it changes the mechanics and the Ryker shocks cannot handle the load usually- even the upgrared rally shocks. Elka will custom fabricate shocks for you according to your weight and riding style. So I ordered a shock from them and found a mechanic to install it. Will keep ya posted . Wondering if can am should include upgrade option for the rally for better shocks - if they offer saddlebag and passenger seat you would think upgrades shocks would be offered. They are for 600 and 900 ACE I believe but nothing for their rally -2/up spring won’t fit the rally

Spyder Garage

I may have one for ya soon. So I called a Elka shock/suspension, apparently it’s pretty common with the Ryker... once you add the passenger seat it changes the mechanics and the Ryker shocks cannot handle the load usually- even the upgrared rally shocks. Elka will custom fabricate shocks for you according to your weight and riding style. So I ordered a shock from them and found a mechanic to install it. Will keep ya posted . Wondering if can am should include upgrade option for the rally for better shocks - if they offer saddlebag and passenger seat you would think upgrades shocks would be offered. They are for 600 and 900 ACE I believe but nothing for their rally -2/up spring won’t fit the rally
    there is a miss-understanding with the word "2up" - after I made my tank full I was on a scale with mine and my 900 standard with passenger seat and side/topcase (empty !) was around 700 lbs !! so you only have a rest from 400 lbs for Driver & Passenger and the luggage - I would also Solo order the ELKAs for the maximum load ..
    we are both not heavy (300 lbs together) but you have no ideas what a girl needs for a 2 weeks trip to the italian beach..

Spyder Garage

I just installed slingmods 3-piece luggage system on the rally. It is fantastic! But we bottomed our a few times with the KYB shock - I adjusted preload to maximum and also the red dial for dampening is set to 4. I am thinking of replacing the shock - any recommendations?
    Call M2 Shocks RPS Manufacturing 537-308-0336. Marcus is the best