Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What Oil change schedule is right?

My dealer said that Ryker,(600), had a 500 mile service and oil change. Owners manual says 6000 miles. Seems like 6000 miles is quit awhile running on breakin oil.

Spyder Garage

I changed my wife's 900 at 1000 miles just for peace of mind. Good or bad, dumb or smart, recommended or not.....In the end, they write the manual for a reason I suppose, but we don't even get 6000 miles in a season, so it was gonna get changed either way. I changed it after the first 1000, then again last fall before storage with 4400 on it. Too soon, probably....don't care. It's your ride, do what feels best for you
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mazo EMS2 View Post
    I changed my wife's 900 at 1000 miles just for peace of mind. Good or bad, dumb or smart, recommended or not.....In the end, they write the manual for a reason I suppose, but we don't even get 6000 miles in a season, so it was gonna get changed either way. I changed it after the first 1000, then again last fall before storage with 4400 on it. Too soon, probably....don't care. It's your ride, do what feels best for you
    ... with your logic ..... 99.9 % of the possible debris in the engine oil is going to appear soon after the engine is put into use ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Break in oil change at 6K miles on the Ryker and 3K miles on the 20 RT, that sounds a bit odd in comparison. I'm new at this Spyder business, but hopefully I'm learning.

Spyder Garage

The 500 mile suggestion is a carry over from the days of the 998's. They had a recommended break-in service at 600 miles or so.

Break in service for the 1330's is recommended at 3,500 or so. I go by what the manual says.

Not a Ryker owner so don't have the manual handy.

Changing oil early will NOT hurt the engine though, but it may hurt the pocketbook.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-30-2022 at 06:40 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    The 500 mile suggestion is a carry over from the days of the 998's. They had a recommended break-in service at 600 miles or so.

Break in service for the 1330's is recommended at 3,500 or so. I go by what the manual says.

Not a Ryker owner so don't have the manual handy.

Changing oil early will NOT hurt the engine though.

~~~just purchased a 2020 Ryker Rally (March 15th). The official factory 1st oil change recommendation is 6000 miles or after the first 12 months, which ever occurs 1st

As others here have posted, it's your machine, do what you like

Although we can ride 51 out of 52 weeks a year here in north central Florida, I doubt I'll be able to accumulate 6 K miles within 12 months time, due to my obnoxious work schedule so, in all likelihood, I would imagine Jake is going to do his first oil change (on my 2020 Ryker Rally) 0n or about March 1st 2021. YMMV, Yada Yada

Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

Changing oil early will NOT hurt the engine though.

~~~true, but it's a bit of a waste of money. I don't think I mentioned this previously, I like and will participate in oil threads=:-)

As I mentioned in my previous post, the Ryker service manual states that the break in oil change interval is 6K (6000) miles, or after the first 12 months, which ever comes first. I also stated that I will likely follow BRP's recommendation. I have now owned my 2020 Ryker Rally for two months and noticed the odometer reading is 1K (1000) miles, so it looks like it will take me a year to reach the recommended break in oil change interval

All that said, could I change the motor oil and oil filter early? Absolutely, but why bother? I think we can all agree that Can Am's or who ever builds their motors, that this technology (application of knowledge) is forever marching forward, right? So in that line of thinking the engineers must feel, since their first oil change recommendation is 6000 miles, and that is also every subsequent 0il change interval as well, that their current engine construction is sound enough, that they state this break in oil change interval as their recommendation. Like the man said- "if it's good enough for BRP, it's good enough for me". Still, there are those that feel 'they must change their engine oil & filter, beforehand. Forgive them Father for they art thou hasty=:-) <LOL>

Seriously though, more power to those that want to change oil early and often, the oil companies and their subsidiaries love ❤️ you
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~true, but it's a bit of a waste of money. I don't think I mentioned this previously, I like and will participate in oil threads=:-)

As I mentioned in my previous post, the Ryker service manual states that the break in oil change interval is 6K (6000) miles, or after the first 12 months, which ever comes first. I also stated that I will likely follow BRP's recommendation. I have now owned my 2020 Ryker Rally for two months and noticed the odometer reading is 1K (1000) miles, so it looks like it will take me a year to reach the recommended break in oil change interval

All that said, could I change the motor oil and oil filter early? Absolutely, but why bother? I think we can all agree that Can Am's or who ever builds their motors, that this technology (application of knowledge) is forever marching forward, right? So in that line of thinking the engineers must feel, since their first oil change recommendation is 6000 miles, and that is also every subsequent 0il change interval as well, that their current engine construction is sound enough, that they state this break in oil change interval as their recommendation. Like the man said- "if it's good enough for BRP, it's good enough for me". Still, there are those that feel 'they must change their engine oil & filter, beforehand. Forgive them Father for they art thou hasty=:-) <LOL>

Seriously though, more power to those that want to change oil early and often, the oil companies and their subsidiaries love ❤️ you
    I would agree if the engineers were the only ones with input on the final decision. But they are not. Marketing and the bean counters have a good deal of influence on what finally comes out in the manual. I'm not saying that it is a bad idea to wait 6,000 miles on the Ryker. Just that compromise is always a good possibility. So, I don't consider what the manufacture recommends to always be the best possible scenario. This is the reason I plan to use automotive engine oil in my Ryker. It does not have a wet clutch. So I do not plan to use a more expensive, less efficient lubricant. Not saying anyone else should do the same. But it makes very logical sense when you look at the facts.

Like is mentioned above. It's your ride. You paid for it. You do what you think best.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-12-2020 at 07:50 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

6,000 miles to first oil change is most likely marketing driven.
    Planning on no more than 3K, less, depending upon color of suspended particles.
    Last 4 bikes had first oil and filter changes recommended generally at 600 miles.
    At 600 miles, my Ryker 5W40 looked new.

Oil is cheap insurance.
    For over 57 years of riding, the only engine failure was operator induced (high altitude jetting run sustained WOT at low elevation = hole in piston).

Dino oil: 3K intervals
    Synthetic blend: 4K intervals
    Pure synthetic: 5K intervals

No way I am going 6K or more between oil changes, even with pure synthetic.

BTW, the Ryker does not have a wet clutch, but 4T oil recommended, wonder why?

Riding long distances in remote/primitive areas, usually without cell service, I want to optimize reliability.
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

new to 3 wheels. my last 3 2 wheel bikes, first service was at 600 miles per manual then every 4k after. my 150cc kymco, first service was at 200 miles per manual and every 2k miles. its cheap though. no filter, just a screen and 1 qt 10w40.

so yeah, first service at 6k is odd to me but thats what they recommend. i will see what it looks like a 1k and keep an eye on it.

Dave

Spyder Garage

The BRP website suggests to replace oil and filter after initial break in period that is 200 miles. Lots of folks on here are not following manufacture recommendations . Save your motor, replace oil every 3000 miles after break in oil is changed after 200 miles.

Spyder Garage

BRP suggests changing oil and filter after break in period of 200 miles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Change oil every 3K miles, I don't think so, but different strokes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I would agree if the engineers were the only ones with input on the final decision. But they are not. Marketing and the bean counters have a good deal of influence on what finally comes out in the manual. I'm not saying that it is a bad idea to wait 6,000 miles on the Ryker. Just that compromise is always a good possibility. So, I don't consider what the manufacture recommends to always be the best possible scenario. This is the reason I plan to use automotive engine oil in my Ryker. It does not have a wet clutch. So I do not plan to use a more expensive, less efficient lubricant. Not saying anyone else should do the same. But it makes very logical sense when you look at the facts.

Like is mentioned above. It's your ride. You paid for it. You do what you think best.
    Bean counters have nothing to do with when the recommended oil changes are--people give accountants way too much credit. Can-Am made their profit when the bike was sold--no one who can afford these toys said "nope, that first oil change at 600 miles is too rich for my blood--I won't be buying this." What bean counters do care about is the cost of warranty repairs--so I'd suspect they'd push for an earlier first oil change if it meant fewer warranty claims. I don't even think marketing cares much--their job is to get people excited enough to buy Spyders and Rykers. I've never seen an ad that said "but wait, there's more! The first oil change isn't until 6,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first!" followed by someone saying "that's all I needed to hear! Take my money!" SMH
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker01 View Post
    The BRP website suggests to replace oil and filter after initial break in period that is 200 miles. Lots of folks on here are not following manufacture recommendations . Save your motor, replace oil every 3000 miles after break in oil is changed after 200 miles.
    I have seen this on the website, but it's odd that it's not in the owners or shop manuals. Those say 6,000 (Ryker) or 3,000 (Spyder) miles or 1 year.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Break in oil change

Quote Originally Posted by Azbronco View Post
    I have seen this on the website, but it's odd that it's not in the owners or shop manuals. Those say 6,000 (Ryker) or 3,000 (Spyder) miles or 1 year.
    Yes it is a little vague about where it is and where it isn’t published about the 200 mile break in oil and filter change. But it is always good to change any new vehicle break in period oil .
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-12-2023 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Service is a protocol of items to check, tighten, adjust,lube, etc… An oil and filter change is completely different .

Spyder Garage

Yeah it’s said in conflicting information. BRP website says recommended oil change after 200 mile break in period , but my 2022 Ryker 900 sport owners Manuel says 6000 service ( which means many things other than an oil change ). I see where people get them confused .

Spyder Garage

Hey Tucker, thanks for drawing this to our attention, thanks for drawing this to our attention, but looking at the quoted post here & your later posts listed below, it can be confusing to readers as to exactly which post in the thread you're actually replying to?!?

So it might pay you to use 'Reply with Quote' a little more often - yeah, I know I generally suggest that there's generally no need to Quote IF you are replying to the last post in the thread (as you did with Azbronco's post at your post #16 ) but if you're replying or referring to a post further up/earlier on in the thread than that last post/the post immediately prior to yours (as it looks like you did in your posts # 12, 17, & 18 ) either using Reply with Quote or at least mentioning the specific detail &/or the poster's username that you're replying to will help readers follow what you're on about.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-30-2022 at 08:53 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yes it is a little vague about where it is and where it isn’t published about the 200 mile break in oil and filter change. But it is always good to change any new vehicle break in period oil .
    https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...in-period.html

Spyder Garage

Compared to your initial investment, oil and filers are just a small fraction of cost. I serviced my Sea Doos the first time at 10hrs, manual called for 50hr. The first service is the most critical. When in doubt service. If you’re willing to learn but unsure how to perform the service find someone that knows to teach you. Yes there are videos on DIY, just don’t take them 100% seriously. I’ll be dammed if I would turn over my RTL to let the oil drain out the dipstick tube because someone else has.

Spyder Garage

I disagree page 36 of the 2020 Manual states:
    Operating During Break-In
    A break-in period of 300 km (200 mi) is required for the vehicle. After the break-in period, the vehicle should be inspected as per the MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE.

Spyder Garage

Yeah , but BRP recommends to change oil and filter after 200 mile engine break in period . PERIOD

Spyder Garage

Yeah , but BRP recommends to change oil and filter after 200 mile engine break in period . PERIOD
    i can't find where that is stated. Could you tell me where I can find it. Thank you

Spyder Garage

The manual says something completely different for my Ace engine, but I will change the oil when I want to. I changed it the first time at about 600 miles and been changing the oil and filter every 5,000 miles since then. It is my engine and I will do it like I want to. Don't hurt nothing, and the oil is turned back in for recycling. Oil and filters are cheaper than engines.

I don't tell anybody else when to change their oil. That is something they have to decide. All I am saying is the manual is not the final authority on oil changes.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver