Spyder Garage

Default Tire upgrade and shocks 2016 RTS

Im have found the sweet spot on front tire pressure. That is 20#. I have 40k on my front tires but are ready for replacement. What do you all recommend as a replacement tire for 2016 RTS? Also want to upfrade the shocks and springs again. Any recommendations there?
    Thanks!
    2016 RTS , GPS, entertainment cable. Outlets in trunk and trunk. White

Spyder Garage

Oh Boy here we go with another tire thread!! It seems to me if you got 40k of happy miles on your tires you already have the combo on that!!! But what do you mean by changing your shocks ad springs again?? You have changed them before? Trust me when I say, you will get a reply on the tires!!! Good Luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

If I got 40,000 miles on a set of tires I’d replace them with the same! I like Elka shocks...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It was great that you got that amount of miles on your front tires .... were they Kenda's ??? .... Lots of folks feel that if the Kenda's were that good just continue with them .... imho they were just lucky .... the Kenda tire is a weakly made tire .... they are more prone to defects and failures than ANY tire I have ever heard of - period .... the next set has a high likely hood of being a Bad tire .... so my recommendation ( and from other users here is the Vredestein Quatrac 5 ) it currently has the best all around rating for a tire that fits our Spyders ..... I have the 165/60-15 for my RT ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It was great that you got that amount of miles on your front tires .... were they Kenda's ??? .... Lots of folks feel that if the Kenda's were that good just continue with them .... imho they were just lucky .... the Kenda tire is a weakly made tire .... they are more prone to defects and failures than ANY tire I have ever heard of - period .... the next set has a high likely hood of being a Bad tire .... so my recommendation ( and from other users here is the Vredestein Quatrac 5 ) it currently has the best all around rating for a tire that fits our Spyders ..... I have the 165/60-15 for my RT ..... Mike
    Although I got miles of smiles from the Kendras, they are sucky tires. The vibrate. I'm looking for a better-made tire. The can am dealership put on the shocks when they were trying to fix the vibration problem. I want to find better shocks and springs. When braking, the front end hits the ground. Just wondering if anyone else has made this upgrade and to what?
    2016 RTS , GPS, entertainment cable. Outlets in trunk and trunk. White

Spyder Garage

My friend from Broken Arrow SpyderRiders group recommended Federal Formosa AZ01 for the front tires, and I absolutely love them. I installed BajaRon's Spring Adjusters. Raised the nose an inch.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Hi Revalden, you mentioned Ron's front spring adjusters, I'm thinking of these for my '18 RT. You said it lifted the front 1" which is great, do you find it helps control the "leaning away from corners" feeling?
    Cheers.
    2018 RT Limited , Champagne

Spyder Garage

The best low cost way of upgrading your front shocks is the Baja Ron spring helpers, they will stiffen up the front end. A Ron sway bar will help the bike in corners and in cross winds and alike. The sway bar upgrade is pretty universally well regarded as an big improvement to the bike's handling. If you want to spend more, then either Fox shocks or Elkas are good way to help the front end all the way around.

As to tires, the Vrd. or the Federal Formoza are probably the two most popular choices. I haven't tried the Vrd. tires, but I do have a lot of miles on the Federals. I ordinarily wouldn't recommend a Federal tire because of they're a low end Chinese brand of tire. However, they just plain work and work really well on Spyders, and as a bonus, they come in the exact size needed.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    The best low cost way of upgrading your front shocks is the Baja Ron spring helpers, they will stiffen up the front end. A Ron sway bar will help the bike in corners and in cross winds and alike. The sway bar upgrade is pretty universally well regarded as an big improvement to the bike's handling. If you want to spend more, then either Fox shocks or Elkas are good way to help the front end all the way around.

As to tires, the Vrd. or the Federal Formoza are probably the two most popular choices. I haven't tried the Vrd. tires, but I do have a lot of miles on the Federals. I ordinarily wouldn't recommend a Federal tire because of they're a low end Chinese brand of tire. However, they just plain work and work really well on Spyders, and as a bonus, they come in the exact size needed.
    And you can get them at Walmart.com for about $85.00 shipped free. I took the AZ01s to a good tire shop and had them mounted and speed balanced. Spydie sticks in twisties like they're in tracks.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    And you can get them at Walmart.com for about $85.00 shipped free. I took the AZ01s to a good tire shop and had them mounted and speed balanced. Spydie sticks in twisties like they're in tracks.
    Or, from Amazon at almost half that cost ..
    https://www.amazon.com/Federal-Formo...s%2C195&sr=8-1

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Claimbo View Post
    Although I got miles of smiles from the Kendras, they are sucky tires. The vibrate. I'm looking for a better-made tire. The can am dealership put on the shocks when they were trying to fix the vibration problem. I want to find better shocks and springs. When braking, the front end hits the ground. Just wondering if anyone else has made this upgrade and to what?
    RUN from that STEALER ..... the Tech who came up with THAT fix doesn't know their *ss from their elbo ...... Unless the shocks have totally failed ( not likely on your year Spyder ) ...... Mike