Spyder Garage

Default 2018 F3 20in wheel install

Hey guys

Wondering if someone can help me out I’m am putting custom 20inch rims from allthingschrome on my F3 (all 3 wheels) I remove the rear wheel with no problem Remove all parts from factory wheel to be place on new wheel. But one of the bushings will not fit on right side of rim a plastic spacer is on the original and it is to big to fit on the new rim to allow for the bushing to sit inside. Are any one familiar with replacement of these rims do I leave the bushings off or do I need to buy a spacer that fits the new rim so I can place the bushings inside. Any help would be appreciated it.1F878502-807B-4915-8AF8-77A6027C2F6A.jpg

Spyder Garage

Two things here - firstly, that 'spacer' looks an awful lot like a seal, and if that's the case it's there for a reason and if what you have now doesn't fit, then it should be replaced with a seal that does fit!

And secondly, even if it is a spacer, I'd think you need to source a spacer of the appropriate size - plus, you really shouldn't leave those bushings off!!

Ps: we need pics of your Ryde with the custom rims fitted!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

That is not a plastic spacer. That's a grease seal and its required. If it does not fit your new custom wheel, its either made incorrectly or they should have supplied the correct seal that does fit. Note that they are a press fit, do not simply push in with your fingers. Also if the grease seal was removed from the old rim, throw it away, they are not reusable. You need a new one.

The steel bushing rides on the shaft and mates with the seal to form a dust tite fit which keeps the bearings clean and dry.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I don't believe that spacer is going to fit on there correctly until you bolt the brake disk on to the wheel, even after you correct the seal problem. There is a seal on the 2018.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info that’s what I kinda figured.
    I will post pics when wheels are fitted.

Spyder Garage

Thanks a lot I will contact allthingschrome and ask why they didn’t supply me with the seal either way I’ll visit local parts store

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Can't see from the picture..... did the new wheel come with new bearings installed in it? The bearings need to be installed before pressing the seals in.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Yes I call allthingschrome they make the rim with a sealed bearing already installed so all I needed to do is place bushings inside and tighten everything looks to align perfect. Just need to take for a spin make sure everything take and no nanny probs.

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looks nice. My only issue would be that I kinda like the look of the front fenders on the bike. I would need to do a little research and see what sizes I could get and still keep the stock fenders. Not sure if there is a spacer that can be placed on them to lift them up or something.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by F3VE View Post
    Yes I call allthingschrome they make the rim with a sealed bearing already installed so all I needed to do is place bushings inside and tighten everything looks to align perfect. Just need to take for a spin make sure everything take and no nanny probs.
    This what can cause NANNY problems .... do your new tires come close to the circumference of what you took off, if there is a size-able dis-parity this can upset the NANNY. With stock wheels I don't think it's possible to go past what the NANNY will accept do to tire / frame limitations..... My concern for you now is if they fit, your ride is going to get harsher because you have very little sidewall height. Folks forget that the height of the sidewall will determine how much of a suspension cushion that tire can provide. Of course the PSI in the tire is a factor. Even a 70 series tire will be Harsh if it's PSI isn't matched to the weight of the vehicle ..... good luck with that tire / wheel combo ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    Yea you have to kinda choose between wheels and fenders unless you find someone who custom make the fenders.

Spyder Garage

Yes your right Mike
    The ride isn’t as smooth but it isn’t that bad though, only when I hit big bumps in the road you can really tell the difference but the circumference the new wheels are spot on I took it for a ride yesterday I did get a speed sensor code for my rear wheel but I believe that was on error on my part I’m testing now at the very least I’ll have just replace the sensor all should be well.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by F3VE View Post
    Yes your right Mike
    The ride isn’t as smooth but it isn’t that bad though, only when I hit big bumps in the road you can really tell the difference but the circumference the new wheels are spot on I took it for a ride yesterday I did get a speed sensor code for my rear wheel but I believe that was on error on my part I’m testing now at the very least I’ll have just replace the sensor all should be well.
    I'm sure you meant circumference of the .... " tire " ......, the comfort at psi thing isn't restricted to Spyders .... and vehicle on wheels has the same issue ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

That looks bad ass! Great wheel choice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Looks nice. My only issue would be that I kinda like the look of the front fenders on the bike. I would need to do a little research and see what sizes I could get and still keep the stock fenders. Not sure if there is a spacer that can be placed on them to lift them up or something.
    A bracket or adapter would probably be the only way. I just put PPA 15x5.5 inch wheels with 175/55 tires, and the extra half inch width brought the tire to the edge of the low brow fender, and I believe it would be the same with the stock fenders. The low brow fenders have extra room in front but is pretty close to being stuffed towards the rear of the fender. PPA has 16 inch wheels and their recommendation for tires are 50 series to fit. Pretty sure anything over 16 inch will require custom fenders or have a bracket made though. Check out my thread for before and after pics between the stock wheels and PPA’s.

Spyder Garage

1st off, it looks pretty cool. That said if you have annual inspections, it would likely fail as if it originally came with fenders, it would still be required to have them. Wouldn't be fun in the rain

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue