Spyder Garage

Default RSS Ignition coil - how do I test?

We have a 2013 RSS (2012 build) that ran fine last Thursday, go to fire it up on Friday morning, starts, but sounds like only 1 cyl is working, engine check light on. Had to go away on the weekend so left it until today. Pulled up code P0351, ign coil short A which means for the front cyl or fuse which is ok. checked the lead, appears to be no continuity, getting 2.4k on the rear one. OK, may have a faulty lead, didnt get spark at the plug either, but to be certain how do I check the wiring for the coil or the coil itself? Would a faulty lead bring up a code? The plug itself looks OK, new around 13000 ks ago. If there was no spark at all I'd expect it to be wet. Am I on the right track if I just replace the lead? Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2020 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Title

Spyder Garage

I don't recall the pinout, but one winding should be about 1 - 2ohms (12V side). The second would be a couple K for the high voltage. I'd grab a PDF of the shop manual for $20. Actually the coil is really cheap on cheapcycleparts.com, I replaced mine. Only to find out later it was a cracked plug. But now has a fresh coil pack. I'd suspect the coil pack itself, as the computer monitors current draw to devices (coil, headlights, tail lights, etc.). If it draws too much it will pop a code. Harnesses just don't short, unless a rat has chewed on it

Spyder Garage

A less technical approach would be to check the 12v leads for power. If you get 12v at the plug, be sure the connectors are in good condition and that there is good contact between the terminals on the coil. Then stick a well insulated screwdriver into the coil output. If you can't get close to a good ground. Rig up a stiff wire, like a clothes hanger, etc. to make this possible. Hold the metal portion of the screwdriver about 1/8" - 3/8" from your ground point and crank the Spyder. These steps should verify a failure in the system and pinpoint the problem. If you get good spark in this test. Then it is something downstream. Ignition wire or spark plug.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-16-2020 at 05:29 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

ok, new coil, leads, plugs, getting 12v at center pin on plug, still no go on front cyl, might have to put it in shop, presumably power comes in then goes out to sensors/pickup or ecu?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderchris-nz View Post
    ok, new coil, leads, plugs, getting 12v at center pin on plug, still no go on front cyl, might have to put it in shop, presumably power comes in then goes out to sensors/pickup or ecu?
    I was afraid of that. Coils don't go out that often. Maybe an ECU issue. Let us know what the fix ends up being.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

What was the fix?