Thread: Better ride?

Spyder Garage

Default Better ride?

This forum has been an awesome resource in learning all aspects of Can Am products. I also enjoy reading everyone's posts and I try to give what ever input possible when I can help. Once again I'm asking for help from the awesome/experienced riders in making my new Spyder reach the highest level of my riding experience. Before I begin to describle my dilemma let me tell you about my Spyder and myself.

I purchased a 2019 Spyder F3 base model in December 2019. This is the first motorcylce/trike and I'm a newbie to riding in general. The primary reason I decided to buy the base model was the three thousand rebate offered during the holiday blitz. This was the incentive needed because i wanted a full size Spyder with the 1330 engine and many of the same equipment offerings as in other more expensive models at a much more affordable price point.
    I have gone crazy upgrading my Spyder (quite expensive) and have enjoyed my new toy immensely! As of tonight, my ride has 1200 miles on it. The first few hundred miles were an enormous learning curve and my riding experience has grown as much. A few days ago, I rode to Cyclegear to pick up some item I ordered. The trip was sixty mile round trip entirely on some of San Antonio's busiest intertstates. Speeds varied between 65-80 mph. I can feel a slight vibration after 60mph and assuming my tires/Spyder can do better. My tires all have weights on them so my assumption is that my tires were balanced befored delivery. I aslo know that the Kenda's are not the greatest tires to have. As part of my upgrades, I have a baja ron's sway bar and a 32" F4 customs windshield. Both upgrades have help my riding pleasure and confidence. Would buying centramatic balancers for all three wheels/tires help smooth out my riding experience while at higher speeds during highway riding?
    Lamonster garage list them as well as the company that manufactures them in Texas.

Thank you for any help you can offer and allowing me to join this incredible forum.

Arcamguy

balancers.docx
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arcamguy View Post
    This forum has been an awesome resource in learning all aspects of Can Am products. I also enjoy reading everyone's posts and I try to give what ever input possible when I can help. Once again I'm asking for help from the awesome/experienced riders in making my new Spyder reach the highest level of my riding experience. Before I begin to describle my dilemma let me tell you about my Spyder and myself.

I purchased a 2019 Spyder F3 base model in December 2019. This is the first motorcylce/trike and I'm a newbie to riding in general. The primary reason I decided to buy the base model was the three thousand rebate offered during the holiday blitz. This was the incentive needed because i wanted a full size Spyder with the 1330 engine and many of the same equipment offerings as in other more expensive models at a much more affordable price point.
    I have gone crazy upgrading my Spyder (quite expensive) and have enjoyed my new toy immensely! As of tonight, my ride has 1200 miles on it. The first few hundred miles were an enormous learning curve and my riding experience has grown as much. A few days ago, I rode to Cyclegear to pick up some item I ordered. The trip was sixty mile round trip entirely on some of San Antonio's busiest intertstates. Speeds varied between 65-80 mph. I can feel a slight vibration after 60mph and assuming my tires/Spyder can do better. My tires all have weights on them so my assumption is that my tires were balanced befored delivery. I aslo know that the Kenda's are not the greatest tires to have. As part of my upgrades, I have a baja ron's sway bar and a 32" F4 customs windshield. Both upgrades have help my riding pleasure and confidence. Would buying centramatic balancers for all three wheels/tires help smooth out my riding experience while at higher speeds during highway riding?
    Lamonster garage list them as well as the company that manufactures them in Texas.

Thank you for any help you can offer and allowing me to join this incredible forum.

Arcamguy

balancers.docx
    Frank & honest is what I try to be ..... considering how much those balancer's cost vs. new auto tires .... I would get the tires ....you already noticed how much weight was needed to balance those Kenda's - not normal and shows how marginal those Kenda's are .....the vibes could be from the drive belt , the OEM tension setting is in my and many others here way to high ..... lowering it cured my belt vibes ..... You should also consider getting a LAZER alignment, almost all Spyders are delivered with in-correct alignment ..... annnnnnnnnd ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

If your feeling the vibs in your handlebars it is probably the front tires. Get better tires. If your feeling it more in the floorboards or seat its your drive belt vibrating. Lamonster sells a belt tensioner that helps but would lower belt tension first.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I added the centramatic balancers along with new belt tension-er to my 2018 F3-S made a world of difference to the vibration above 65mph

Spyder Garage

Don't know (or recall at least) where in S.A. you are so I don't know what's convenient for you but here's what we've done with our Spyders. I replaced the front tires on my 2015 RT-S with a pair of Verderstein Quatrac 5s that I ordered from Tire Rack. Kent Powersports in Selma (northeast S.A.) swapped the tires, balanced and mounted them on my new PPA chrome wheels. Very happy with the change.

We bought both our new-to-us Spyders from Kent and since then they've been our go-to for service. So far we've been pleased with the quality of work and ease of getting appointments. They also respond well to emergencies (unexpected oh crap events). On one occasion we were in Kerrville when the battery on my wife's 2012 RT Limited decided to give up the ghost. We called, explained the situation and limped back to the dealership - which stayed open for us and replaced the battery so we could get back home (to Cibolo). John, their Spyder wizard and shop manager, is extremely good in our opinions.

As far as laser alignment goes, Coyote Powersports between S.A. and Boerne on IH-10 seems to be the place to go. They won't mount car tires, or at least said they would not the last time I was there. Between Kent, Coyote, and Woods Cycle center in New Braunfels we've a good selection of places. We're much better off than some Spyder owners around the country.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I use counteract beads or Dyna Beads in ALL my tires including my car and truck. I NEVER have balancing issues. It took away that nagging vibration WITHOUT having to go spend hundreds on new rubber. It is widely available online, it can be a pain to feed it through the valve stem but worth it. I use 1.5 ounces in each front tire, and 3 ounces in the rear tires. I spent 25 dollars on a bottle of Counteract Beads and a measuring device. I have put them in all of my vehicles, and I had them installed when they did my tires on my RAM 1500.

AND I WEAR NO WEIGHTS...not on my laced wheels on the Triumph, not on the BMW I just sold, not on my Can Am (and I pulled tons of weights off the rims), and no weights on my Darts custom wheels either.

COUNTERACT or Dyna Beads. They work, I have used them for 20 years, and THEY SAVE ON GAS TOO. Why? Your tires are ALWAYS balanced, even if you damage them. As long as they hold air they are balanced. One treatment, one time, and done. Believe me its a LOT cheaper than the weights or tires, and you get to wear out the remaining life on your current treads. Which by the way, will be improved. I have used both products for 20 years, they work.
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

These was the FIRST upgrade/change on the Can Am Spyder RS-S when I bought it in November, and its the first change I do to any of my new vehicles, cage of bike/trike. We used to use BB's in my stepdad's truck tires growing up in Alaska too, too tubes per tire on the big rig, saved my stepdad THOUSANDS in rubber costs. They work on the same principal, centrifugal force spread the beads in a balanced fashion. I know bike riders that use half a tube of BB's in their bike tires for the same purpose too.

Spyder Garage

https://www.counteractbalancing.com/...oaAuW0EALw_wcB

Here is the site for data purposes, you can get them on Amazon or FleaBay in bulk and with applicators.

Spyder Garage

hi arc guy
    maybe its not balance
    i think the Kendas "feel"the road more than car specific tyres
    the rear balance dosent seem to make a fat lot of difference(i sometimes dont balance the rear)
    the fronts on my pres ride had 20;000kms and were vibrating on certain road sections(thru the bars)
    since fitting "car"tyres,the vibes have gone
    and its not poor Chinese quality..my new tyres(Nankangs)are also made in china(as is the rear wheel)

i'm sure the centramics are hugely effective,but i suspect your fronts are already balanced,and vibe for other reasons

IMHO i would do the rubber first,then if youre still not happy,chase another fix
    the rubber worked for me

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

For years, I've been using Ride-On tire sealant/balancing fluid in all my m/c tires. Can't vouch for flat repair effectiveness, but my tires always felt nicely balanced w/out any shake/vibration. Got the auto formula direct from Ride-on for (3) 16oz bottles for $51/shipped.
    https://www.ride-onshop.com/Products-AUTO_and_SUV.html
    https://www.ride-onshop.com/Dents_an..._-_Bottle.html

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will be trying the Counteract beads. I have tried car tires and had them balanced several times, but the front end still shakes. Laser alignment didnt eliminate shake either.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I will be trying the Counteract beads. I have tried car tires and had them balanced several times, but the front end still shakes. Laser alignment didnt eliminate shake either.
    Have you had the rims themselves checked for balance & that they are truely round & running true?? Not a heap of Spyder Owners, but enough to think it's a distinct possibility, have found their OE Spec rims were either out of round or not running true - some found both!!

Then there's the 'other possibility' when it comes to vibrations from the front end &/or steering, have you checked all the ball-joints & bearings too?? A number of Spyder Ryders have reported issues with those, some (mainly F3 owners) reporting repeated & frequent ball joint issues/failures....

It's not always the tires, even if it is them most often!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I have decided to try the Centramatic Balancers but before I order them I've called a couple of local dealers to find out labor rates to install them in the San Antonio area.
    Dealer # 1 said two hours labor on removing and reinstalling rear tire (240.00) and 1/2 hour for each front tire (both fronts 120.00)
    Dealer # 2 said they wouldnt install them because of past problems especially with the rear tire (not enough thread left for bolt after installing balancer)
    This has changed my thinking, now instead of ordering all three balancers thinking of just ordering two for the front tires. This is where I feel all the vibration anyways.
    What do all the experienced Spyders owners think of this, just installing them on my fronts? Will this be enough to corrrect my vibration problems at speeds over 60mph?

Thank you to all that have responded to my thread. Many of you have suggested putting in liquid balancers into the tires themselves and Im also considering this.

Be safe everyone!

Arcamguy
    2022 RT , Marsella Red

Spyder Garage

Didn't you say you bought your Spyder new? If so you have a warranty and your dealer should be asked to find out why your Spyder is shaking /vibrating and not running to your satisfaction. Even tho you may have bought a base model you still paid a lot of money for it and it should perform at least the basic function of going down the road smoothly.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

hi arcam
    as i said previous
    i dont usually balance my rear
    thats not to say your prob will benefit...just my experience

i cancelled everything else i wrote
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker