Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

2012 RT-L SE5 3500 miles .My question despite the debate..Can i.. if I chose for whatever esoteric reason add some cleaner solvent closer to the injectors rather than the fuel tank?Is there a good spot to get a little bit of this solvent closer to the system i want to purge/clean. Should I just put some into the fuel line going into the throttle body? I've got an erratic idle combined with a P-1171 engine code (Lean cyl 1) which is driving me a bit nutty. I'm replacing the MAP vacuum hose(but these are good) checking the throttle bodies. Otherwise it was running perfect when purchased 2 weeks ago. I drove it 40-50 miles with the check engine light as it runs fine at higher RPMs
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

2012 RT-L SE5 . 3500 miles. Tranny Shudders at low Rpm s Erratic idle. Engine check light Code P-1171 cyl 1 lean. Had run perfect after purchase 2weeks ago. No mods. Checking vacuum hoses will replace off of MAP sensor. Will check throttle body boots.Possible #1 injector clog. Any way to direct injector cleaner ie seaform etc closer to throttle body/injector besides as an additive to gas tank ?Planning to add Air scoops per 2013 recall heat mgt .

Spyder Garage

The tranny shuddering at low RPM feels bloody awful but is quite common on these early machines, especially with a cold engine, and yet it isn't usually damaging in any way. It usually goes away as the bike/oil warms up... So that might not be as bad an issue as you might think.... once all the other stuff is sorted.

The vacuum hoses are a known problem and they can look perfect until you take them off & kink them double, when it becomes obvious that they've been Wallaby Ted's older brother Roo for a loooong time, leaking air like a sieve, and will probably have been causing all sorts of erratic idle issues for all that time too! Replace all three of them with silicone hoses & be done with it, & while you're at it in there, check & replace the throttle body boots at the same time! Save yourself from having to go back in later - you'll work out why this is important once you start replacing the vacuum hoses etc! And while it's all naked with the tupperware removed, check, clean, &/or replace everything/anything else that looks the slightest bit dodgy that you can get at too - MAF, air filter, fuel filter, purge valve, etc, etc - do anything & everything you can!

Additive type injector cleaners - they rarely work wonderfully once the offending injector is already gummed up - arguably, they'll work best if used from new as a preventative, and those that are successful at 'after the fact' cleaning generally take a looong time and quite a few tanks full of fuel with the appropriate level of additive mixed in to do anything, anything at all.... so if you want if fixed NOW, don't waste any more of your time &/or money on adding questionable additives anywhere in a likely futile attempt to clean them that way, just get the injector's out & have them ultrasonically cleaned.... or maybe replaced!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-27-2020 at 08:20 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    The tranny shuddering at low RPM feels bloody awful but is quite common on these early machines, especially with a cold engine, and yet it isn't usually damaging in any way. It usually goes away as the bike/oil warms up... So that might not be as bad an issue as you might think.... once all the other stuff is sorted.

The vacuum hoses are a known problem and they can look perfect until you take them off & kink them double, when it becomes obvious that they've been Wallaby Ted's older brother Roo for a loooong time, leaking air like a sieve, and will probably have been causing all sorts of erratic idle issues for all that time too! Replace all three of them with silicone hoses & be done with it, & while you're at it in there, check & replace the throttle body boots at the same time! Save yourself from having to go back in later - you'll work out why this is important once you start replacing the vacuum hoses etc! And while it's all naked with the tupperware removed, check, clean, &/or replace everything/anything else that looks the slightest bit dodgy that you can get at too - MAF, air filter, fuel filter, purge valve, etc, etc - do anything & everything you can!

Additive type injector cleaners - they rarely work wonderfully once the offending injector is already gummed up - arguably, they'll work best if used from new as a preventative, and those that are successful at 'after the fact' cleaning generally take a looong time and quite a few tanks full of fuel with the appropriate level of additive mixed in to do anything, anything at all.... so if you want if fixed NOW, don't waste any more of your time &/or money on adding questionable additives anywhere in a likely futile attempt to clean them that way, just get the injector's out & have them ultrasonically cleaned.... or maybe replaced!

Good Luck!
    ...... Fuel injectors have improved during the past few decades ..... back in the day I owned a Porsche and the guy I had working on mine was a Porsche master mechanic .... He believed the only way to clean an injector was to remove it , soak it in solvent and use high pressure air ..... that method worked for the ones I had ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Mike, my dealer puts in 5 gallons of 99 octane race fuel with each new bike. Why? It what they do. Tom
    It's very possible that the race fuel your dealer is putting in does not have ethanol.

Using fuel without ethanol will allow a dealer to set up a bike / trike and have it all prepped for delivery. Using non ethanol fuel gives them some security that they will not have to worry about the fuel system having an issue until the bike / trike sells.

I do not think it has anything to necessarily to do with the octane. The fuel they can get from a supplier without ethanol may just happen to be race fuel with a higher octane.

Spyder Garage

I agree that keeping injectors clean is a lot easier than cleaning them up.
    But injector deposits can be cleared with the right product and dosage.
    Techron is very good, so is Redline SI-1.
    Many FI cleaners use PBA because it's cheaper. Techron is PBA and PEA, with PEA being more effective. SI-1 has PEA as well.
    You have nothing to lose by trying either, (leaning toward Redline, O'Reilley Auto Parts) for cleaning dirty injectors.
    https://www.redlineoil.com/content/f...ner%20MSDS.pdf
    https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/f..._PROD_INFO.pdf

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    It's very possible that the race fuel your dealer is putting in does not have ethanol.

Using fuel without ethanol will allow a dealer to set up a bike / trike and have it all prepped for delivery. Using non ethanol fuel gives them some security that they will not have to worry about the fuel system having an issue until the bike / trike sells.

I do not think it has anything to necessarily to do with the octane. The fuel they can get from a supplier without ethanol may just happen to be race fuel with a higher octane.
    Tango and his dealer reside in Florida. Overall, in Florida it is very easy to purchase non ethanol Rec Gas with about 90 octane. Cost is about $3.00 per gallon. Most times non ethanol race fuel is about $10 per gallon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    2012 RT-L SE5 . 3500 miles. Tranny Shudders at low Rpm s Erratic idle. Engine check light Code P-1171 cyl 1 lean. Had run perfect after purchase 2weeks ago. No mods. Checking vacuum hoses will replace off of MAP sensor. Will check throttle body boots.Possible #1 injector clog. Any way to direct injector cleaner ie seaform etc closer to throttle body/injector besides as an additive to gas tank ?Planning to add Air scoops per 2013 recall heat mgt .

Yes, replacing vacuum hoses is important. Realize too, the V twins are known to develop misfires on account of low quality spark plug leads. Likely best to replace those with aftermarket performance leads. Misfires on some engines can trigger odd ball codes.

Spyder Garage

Bought the techron. And Seaform. Weather not nice so...maybe tomorrow

Spyder Garage

Definitely look over and probably replace those vac lines. As mentioned, they can look fine, but the slightest of cracks can let air in causing running problems. Pop one off and take it to your local auto parts store and replace it with the same size of course. Get the good stuff
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

will update

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 2013 RT threw a throttle body code once. When I got back to my dealer he checked it out and then added Yamaha fuel injector cleaner to the gas. Since they used Yamaha branded FI cleaner I figured it must be a decent product to use. I've no idea how it compares to other brands.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    My 2013 RT threw a throttle body code once. When I got back to my dealer he checked it out and then added Yamaha fuel injector cleaner to the gas. Since they used Yamaha branded FI cleaner I figured it must be a decent product to use. I've no idea how it compares to other brands.
    Did they use Yamaha Ring Free?
    That rabbit hole is deep, but if you dive far enough into MSDS sheets, comments, anecdotal recommendations, and the opinions of a million internet experts, it is basically Sea Foam and Techron mixed together.
    Where might you have heard that?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    Did they use Yamaha Ring Free?
    That rabbit hole is deep, but if you dive far enough into MSDS sheets, comments, anecdotal recommendations, and the opinions of a million internet experts, it is basically Sea Foam and Techron mixed together.
    Where might you have heard that?
    I had one incident of the throttle body sticking in the fall of 2014 with a limp home failure and the engine would not drop back to idle. I'm not sure what I did but I got the error to clear up and the engine to drop to idle so I continued my travels. I stopped at a dealer in Eastern Idaho and they checked things out and cleared the code. They said to have it checked by my local dealer after I got back home.All I remember is the additive was Yamaha brand and they added it to the gas. I think they gave me the bottle and I used it in the gas until it was used up. The plan, which apparently worked, was to use the additive to clean the throttle body to prevent the throttle butterfly valve from sticking again. I believe this was the factory suggested fix before resorting to taking everything apart to clean the throttle body. I do remember having doubts about it since the fuel injection point is downstream of the butterfly valve. I didn't ride much more that fall and then sold the RT the next spring after I got my 2014 so have no idea what, if anything, has happened since.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I had one incident of the throttle body sticking in the fall of 2014 with a limp home failure and the engine would not drop back to idle. I'm not sure what I did but I got the error to clear up and the engine to drop to idle so I continued my travels. I stopped at a dealer in Eastern Idaho and they checked things out and cleared the code. They said to have it checked by my local dealer after I got back home.All I remember is the additive was Yamaha brand and they added it to the gas. I think they gave me the bottle and I used it in the gas until it was used up. The plan, which apparently worked, was to use the additive to clean the throttle body to prevent the throttle butterfly valve from sticking again. I believe this was the factory suggested fix before resorting to taking everything apart to clean the throttle body. I do remember having doubts about it since the fuel injection point is downstream of the butterfly valve. I didn't ride much more that fall and then sold the RT the next spring after I got my 2014 so have no idea what, if anything, has happened since.
    That is surprising since no fuel additive ever passes through the throttle body. Fuel is not introduced until the injector fires, which is beyond the throttle body. I know the 2008-2012's had throttle body sticking issues because the crank case ventilation system introduced oil into the air box which then accumulated on the throttle body internal parts, gumming it up. But the only way to clear this out was to manually spray carburetor cleaner (or equivalent) onto the internal throttle body parts.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    That is surprising since no fuel additive ever passes through the throttle body. Fuel is not introduced until the injector fires, which is beyond the throttle body. I know the 2008-2012's had throttle body sticking issues because the crank case ventilation system introduced oil into the air box which then accumulated on the throttle body internal parts, gumming it up. But the only way to clear this out was to manually spray carburetor cleaner (or equivalent) onto the internal throttle body parts.
    This was one of those occasions when it's best to just play along irrespective of the validity or sensibility of the plan of action! Sometimes it's better to play dumb and go along with the dealer rather than antagonize them. Some day you might really need them. I don't remember if they sprayed cleaner into the throttle body or not, but I think not.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL 3600 miles. Today took a 100 mile ride with lots of techron and seafoam and clean gas .. the thing runs great on the highway-no tupperware on as I'm still working on it. But it still idles erractic -not the worse but 1200-1600 and a bit doggy at low rpms then vroom it kicks in...just plain annoying. P 1171-lean cyclinder 1 code all the live long day. I'll keep at it . It's been suggested I switch the o2 sensor around and see if I can get a different code that way for #2 cyclinder if the sensor is bad..maybe ..I got a socket from Oreillys and will give that a whirl .

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    2012 RTL 3600 miles. Today took a 100 mile ride with lots of techron and seafoam and clean gas .. the thing runs great on the highway-no tupperware on as I'm still working on it. But it still idles erractic -not the worse but 1200-1600 and a bit doggy at low rpms then vroom it kicks in...just plain annoying. P 1171-lean cyclinder 1 code all the live long day. I'll keep at it . It's been suggested I switch the o2 sensor around and see if I can get a different code that way for #2 cyclinder if the sensor is bad..maybe ..I got a socket from Oreillys and will give that a whirl .
    Have checked / changed the hose's to the throttle body ???? .... same goes for the plug wires ..... your Spyder is 8 years old .... there is a very good chance one or both of those parts have Failed ..... get silicone & BajaRon wires .... JMHO ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Have checked / changed the holes's to the throttle body ????
    You mean hoses, don't you?

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Yes I replaced the MAP sensors vacuum hoses with silicon hoses but these old ones were perfect. Code is P 1171 lean cyclinder #1 . I will consider the plug wires but it runs great just idles weird and has doggy low end performance. Any thoughts on switching around the o2 sensors? I can't find part #s to see if they are different up/down stream.

Spyder Garage

Had a car do that and it was the Coilpack. Don't know if you can swap the coils on a Canam or not.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    Had a car do that and it was the Coilpack. Don't know if you can swap the coils on a Canam or not.
    Are you referring to the ignition coils on the top of the spark plugs? If so, the 998 v-twin engines such as the one the OP has, did not use them. The three cylinder 1330 engines from 2014 on do.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Coilpack is what they call the one's on top of the plugs. Coils if they are on the other end of a spark plug wire. Motorcycles normally have one coil per cylinder.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    Coilpack is what they call the one's on top of the plugs. Coils if they are on the other end of a spark plug wire. Motorcycles normally have one coil per cylinder.
    That's what I thought. The 2012 Spyder the OP has with the v-twin engine uses plug wires, not coil packs. The 1330 3 cyl introduced in 2014 uses coil packs.

2014 Copper RTS