Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Liquid Performance Ethanol Equilizer

Does anyone have any experience using "Liquid Performance Racing Equilizer" in their Spyder? I was told it would remove the ethanol additives and cleanup a gummed up carb if you have one. There is a wealth of knowledge here so I thought I would solicit the group. Thanks so much in advance - link to the product is below.

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Perfor...ustomerReviews

Kind regards,
    Jim.

Spyder Garage

I think you'll find that most here don't put anything other than fresh gas in their tanks....fresh is the key. A lot of us "store" our rides for the off months and maybe add just a bit stabilizer of some sort. I think you'll find that your Spyder will be just fine without adding anything to the tank with the exception of storage time if you do so
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Snake oil.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

What spyder has a carb?

Spyder Garage

I use Star Tron and have found it to be very effective. You can get it at most Walmart's.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

It does not say it will remove 'Ethanol Additives'. Ethanol IS the additive. It actually doesn't say it removes anything. One of the reviewers says that it has kept his carburetor from getting gummed up. Spyders don't have carburetors. But the gist is that it may clean the fuel system components. Preventing phase separation (because ethanol and gasoline don't really mix and will separate as the ethanol takes on water over time) is only necessary if you're going to let the fuel sit for a month or more. And not nearly as necessary if you're using non-ethanol fuel.

Many use some kind of fuel system treatment from time to time. If you're using ethanol fuel, it is a good idea to use some kind of moisture remover.

These kinds of additives are a preventative maintenance product. The only way they can deliver more power and fuel mileage is to prevent the fuel from deteriorating in the tank. They won't make any difference with fresh fuel run out before it starts to go bad.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Run a tank or two of pure gas if you can find it. And store your bike with it if you do that. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ethanol Free Gas

I have a local Gas station, near the lake, that has Ethanol Free.
    I have been using this during the Spyder lay up time.......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Where I live both 95 and 98 octane gasoline has 5% ethanol. Around 5 months of winter storage with just a full tank has not caused any issues for any of my vehicles, motorbikes, newer fuel injected cars, or old american muscle cars.
    I might have just been lucky of course, using a fuel stabilizer seems like a cheap insurance if you know you will store the bike for a really long time

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greven View Post
    Where I live both 95 and 98 octane gasoline has 5% ethanol. Around 5 months of winter storage with just a full tank has not caused any issues for any of my vehicles, motorbikes, newer fuel injected cars, or old american muscle cars.
    I might have just been lucky of course, using a fuel stabilizer seems like a cheap insurance if you know you will store the bike for a really long time
    95 & 98 octane - - WOW, I couldn't find any auto currently being sold that requires even close to that level of Octane ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Most MSDS will reveal something about the product. I cannot find a MSDS on the web for it.
    A couple other products from them are all listed as Proprietary additives.
    I say oil of snake, and tears of unicorn are likely present.
    Pass.
    You want something that cleans injector tips, lubes the fuel pump, and offsets the drying effects of ethanol in the fuel.
    Bell Performance has an excellent line of fuel adds if you feel like you need something. https://www.bellperformance.com/hubf...20SDS_0614.pdf
    My personal blend is SeaFoam and Techron mixed 50/50 and dosed at 1 ounce per gallon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    95 & 98 octane - - WOW, I couldn't find any auto currently being sold that requires even close to that level of Octane ...... Mike
    That is because we are talking apples and oranges here. They say liars figure and figures lie. Doesn't necessarily apply here. But the point being. We are no taking about the same thing. So the numbers are deceiving.

Here is a statement I garnered from the web explaining what I mean. And, if it's on the web... well, we all know the rest.

Because it uses more real-world conditions, the MON rating is typically eight to ten points lower than the equivalent RON figure. In Europe, the octane rating on the pump is simply the RON figure. America, by contrast, uses the average of the RON and the MON figures, called the AKI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I use Star Tron and have found it to be very effective. You can get it at most Walmart's.
    That's what use. +1

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    That is because we are talking apples and oranges here. They say liars figure and figures lie. Doesn't necessarily apply here. But the point being. We are no taking about the same thing. So the numbers are deceiving.

Here is a statement I garnered from the web explaining what I mean. And, if it's on the web... well, we all know the rest.

Because it uses more real-world conditions, the MON rating is typically eight to ten points lower than the equivalent RON figure. In Europe, the octane rating on the pump is simply the RON figure. America, by contrast, uses the average of the RON and the MON figures, called the AKI
    Correct, will clarify if I post about fuel in the future to avoid confusion

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Useless.
    >95% Naphtha.
    Less than .5% organics.
    Naphtha is corrosive, and there is plenty in gasoline already.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are better off adding nothing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Mike, my dealer puts in 5 gallons of 99 octane race fuel with each new bike. Why? It what they do. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    ...... My personal blend is SeaFoam and Techron mixed 50/50 and dosed at 1 ounce per gallon.
    Carbonation: Interesting Mix 50/50 Why?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2020 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greven View Post
    Correct, will clarify if I post about fuel in the future to avoid confusion
    Those numbers would indicate race or aviation fuel in America. Just like Fahrenheit vs Celsius in temperature. Just a different scale being used to reference the same thing. But you certainly DO NOT want to confuse the two.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Mike, my dealer puts in 5 gallons of 99 octane race fuel with each new bike. Why? It what they do. Tom
    Tom, ...IF - your dealer is REALLY doing this ( and I don't know how you could prove it ) I would be quite concerned about ANYTHING they did to my Spyder...... ONLY a vehicle designed for HIGHER octane will actually benefit from it ..... this was learned in " combustion 101 " ..... ..... my caps were used for emphasis only ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your knowledge helping to inform all of us. I for one really appreciate your time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Dealerships say a lot of things that are not necessarily true. Things are getting better in this regard. But if your dealership is actually putting 99 octane race fuel in their Spyders. It is a very foolish thing to do, and I am sure not supported by BRP or Can-Am. Not that it will hurt anything. Just expensive and reduces the capabilities of the machine.

Spyder Garage

I believe that CanAm's have a knock sensor in them for timing. So 99 octane means you get the highest timing out of your engine. Which you mite also be getting with 87 octane. Who know's but the seat of your pants or maybe a Dyno. I've heard that engine rebuilders say premium has a build up if not needed.????
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    ...... My personal blend is SeaFoam and Techron mixed 50/50 and dosed at 1 ounce per gallon.
    Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    Carbonation: Interesting Mix 50/50 Why?
    SeaFoam is pale oil, solvent and alcohol. While I'm not a fan of adding more alcohol, it is what it is. It's a small amount, no harm. Works best in ethanol free fuels because there is nothing present to absorb moisture in those.
    Pale oil wets the back of the valves so carbon and deposits have less tendency to stick, and lubricates the injector pintle and fuel pump.
    Techron has a healthy dose of PEA, keeping fuel system and injectors clean, and provides some cleaning action in the combustion chamber.
    Usually used periodically for clean up, I use it continuously to keep things in check.
    Redline SI-1 is a great substitute if you want a boutique name and pay more.
    Consider that a tanker truck that holds 8500 gallons gets less that 1 gallon of additive at the loading rack, my one ounce per gallon, with half of that being an injector and combustion chamber cleaner, I'm above top tier specs, and no matter where I get fuel, no name or branded, I've got a cleaner and lubricant on board.
    Your mileage may vary, that's just what I do from what I've learned.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2020 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Corbonation: Thanks, I learned a lot from that.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5