Spyder Garage

Default question for those who have a RT & F3

I have a RT, and always feel I am being thrown off on a 50-mph - curve. It is so tall. I wonder if it is - different sensation on a F3 ?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Many brands View Post
    I have a RT, and always feel I am being thrown off on a 50-mph - curve. It is so tall. I wonder if it is - different sensation on a F3 ?
    Anything is possible .... I've driven both at high speeds, in the Twistie's and didn't have the impression that I was being " thrown off ". .... But I've been riding various Spyder's since 09, about 150,000 mi. worth....... a bit of knee pressure may aleave that feeling ...... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Only you can answer that, your brain is thinking lean and get sucked into the seat in a curve, enter slow come out faster. not so with a Spyder. You create your own lean so to speak but it will never be the same as a two wheeler so your brain has to learn new tricks. The Spyder is faster in the curves going in and you create your own lean / style of lean in the curve. The F3 is lower and sits with your feet forward so the only one that knows how your brain will react to the different height and seating position is your brain. F3 is still 3 wheels and will not lean like a 2 wheeler but with your feet forward some like that feel better and feel more control of them self. You should try going to a dealer and test ride the new F3L if they have one. Always fun to window shop look around.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 03-15-2020 at 05:58 AM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

What have you ridden before? The centrifugal force with a spyder on corners combined with the tendency of the spyder to roll away from the corner is quite alarming at first! Shifting your weight and leaning into the corner wil help a lot, I've fitted a Baja Ron's sway bar to mine which helps control the rolling away sensation. Upgraded front shocks are the ultimate fix (Elka, Fox, Shock Factory) but they're pricey! Play with tyre pressures as well. Try cornering hard in an empty parking lot where there is plenty of room to bottle out, it's surprising how it will turn. Time & Experience!! Good luck.
    2018 RT Limited , Champagne

Spyder Garage

In addition to shifting your weight and leaning into the curve plant that outside foot as hard as you can on the floorboard.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks for this thread.
    I have many years on 2 wheels. New to Spyders, only about 120 miles, still trying to get my "sea legs". Haven't enjoyed it much especially on the twisties. Planning to put a couple of hundred on it today. Thanks for the nuggets of info.

BikerBeast...
    2015 Spyder F3-S SE6 (pre-owned, new for me Feb'20. 1st Spyder, decades on 2 wheeler's.)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Many brands View Post
    That sensation is still felt on the F3, but much less than the RT in my opinion. This is based on the 2019 and older RT's that I've driven. I have not driven a 2020 RT yet.
    I will say that you will eventually get more comfortable with that feeling. Lean to the inside of the corners as much as possible and push with your outside foot on the board.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerBeast View Post
    Thanks for this thread.
    I have many years on 2 wheels. New to Spyders, only about 120 miles, still trying to get my "sea legs". Haven't enjoyed it much especially on the twisties. Planning to put a couple of hundred on it today. Thanks for the nuggets of info.

BikerBeast...
    It took me around 1000 miles to really get the hang of three wheels and lose some of my two wheeled habits. I now have Nanny kicking in regularly in the twisties to slow me down. It will come and you will enjoy the Spyder a lot.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the info. Guess I just need more miles on it.

Spyder Garage

Yes, there is a bit of a difference between the two. I have both a 2014 RT and just bought a 2019 F3.

You sit ON the couch on the RT. The F3 is more "cruiser" style, and I feel like I am sitting IN it. The cornering differences are night and day on a 50 mph curve.

Jay Bros post #5 covers how to do a curve best on a RT. I would add a couple things. If you have to brake going into a curve...you are going to fast. You will get more "g" forces that way.

You should be able to accelerate slightly while going through the curve. Entering the curve from the inside to the outside (apexing the curve), looking past the curve in your line of sight, lean slightly into the curve (it does reduce the "g" forces), and planting the outside foot on the floorboards all help.

Once mastered, you can do curves like this at 20+ posted without going over the yellow line or kicking in the nanny. I don't do 20+, and am mostly happy with 5 to 10 +.

The F3....seems more "nailed" to the curve with less g's.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-15-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Not sure if you have the dreaded roundabouts in your area. If you do I recommend doing a bunch at higher and higher speeds. Drive it like you stole it! Worked for me. If you've ever done a 4 wheel drift in a car, you can do a 3 wheel drift with a Spyder RT. That's some serious fun!

Spyder Garage

Just by way of clarification as written English can be sooooooo ambiguous......Those saying “plant that foot hard on the outside board”, mean plant your foot hard on the outside board to push your body weight to the inside, not to shift any weight to the outside.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Just by way of clarification as written English can be sooooooo ambiguous......Those saying “plant that foot hard on the outside board”, mean plant your foot hard on the outside board to push your body weight to the inside, not to shift any weight to the outside.
    Pete
    I'm 6'-6" 260#s and you're larger than me, Hang way out and push with one hand and pull with the other, push down hard on the inside board clamping the glove box with your knees. Clamping makes you feel more attached to the Spyder and makes steering easier since you're not feeling like a death grip on the handlebars just to hang on. Downshift at least one gear going into the turn, 12:1 compression ratio will slow you considerably and you'll be able to just back off the throttle, and then GET BACK ON IT TO SHOOT OUT OF CORNER. And don't look at the center-line(you'll go right to it), keep eyes focused as far away as you can see. Oh, and don't hit the brakes while you're already in the corner, that tends to change the inertia that'll wake up the SLEEPING NANNY, just downshift with throttle still off.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I usually push down on the outside board, to make my torso shift to the inside, has this changed ??
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Spyder Garage

No, that hasn't changed, Basically, I'm saying clamp onto bike with your legs, it stabilizes your torso, you still have to lean into the curve. Clamping on allows your arms to relax a little which makes it easier to steer since you're not needing to hold on for dear life. Try it, it makes twisties much more fun when you don't feel like you're going to be thrown off.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I bought a Ryker 600 last Aug. and have always felt comfortable and in control. I attributed the secure feeling while riding with the footpegs being far forward and sitting low. Months later I started shopping for a second machine and rode a few older RT's etc. with their footpegs mounted more central to the bike. I just couldn't get over how insecure I felt. Then I rode a 2015 f3s with the pegs forward and all was good again. I have the left peg at hole # 4 and the right side at # 3 because I haven't gotten around to changing the brake rod yet. Heck I may never bother. So for me, the ability to plant my feet on the ground at a stop and stretched out in front makes all the difference in the world.

Spyder Garage

I wasn't comfortable with the leaning out, "tippy" feeling of the RT. On the F3T, I was pretty much instantly comfortable. As it's already been stated, it's a matter of sitting "on" vs. "in" the two different models.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black