Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tupperware on 2020

My bike trailer requires a 5-pin connector, so the BRP harness won’t work. I had a ShowChrome (Big Bike Parts) harness on my last bike and it worked perfectly, so I bought one for my RT. They don’t yet make one for the 2020 RT, but they claim the F3 harness fits perfectly. Unfortunately, it comes with F3 instructions.

Taking apart my 2014 was pretty straightforward, but I can’t figure out what’s what on the 2020. I removed the trunk and backseat, and I looked for a way to get into the area around the rear brake light/turn signals. i couldn’t get in after removing several pins and screws, and I was afraid to keep digging too far. CheapCycleParts.com has explosion diagrams of Can-Am bikes through 2019, but nothing on the new RT.

So - anyone know how to get into the area between the saddlebags and the rear lights? I think I can run the power wires to the front easily enough, but I’m not disassembling the back any further until I get some idea what I digging into.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yikes, that's me to a minor degree, there's nothing out there on the 2020, not even in after market. Guessing it will evolve with time, but with the world in turmoil, who knows how long this evolution will take with the after market. I do not want to begin ripping a panel off here and there worrying about every squeaky sound.

Spyder Garage

The inner saddlebags are fixed, but the surround comes off. The rear fender has 2 screw head pushpins. Take your time, keep your fasteners organized, and be gentle.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    The inner saddlebags are fixed, but the surround comes off. The rear fender has 2 screw head pushpins. Take your time, keep your fasteners organized, and be gentle.
    Thanks, it will be raining here Wednesday so I’ll try then.
    - How does the “surround” come off? Are you referring to the painted area of the saddlebags?
    - I’ve noted screw head pushpins above and along the front of the saddlebag case when it is opened, but removing those didn’t seem to loosen anything up.
    - Are the screw head pushpins for the rear fender inside the fender well?

My dealer won’t install a non-canam part, so my only option is to dig in. Thanks for the help.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Fyi...

Here's an FYI if you're planning on removing the "rear end" of the 2020 RT. It will take TWO people to lift it. This is from my very competent Spyder mechanic.

Spyder Garage

I suggest you contact Pierre at https://www.canamspyderaccessories.com/ as he tells me that he has a trailer wiring harness for the 2020 RTL. If so he may have instructions as well.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Here are the directions to install the hitch on the 2020 RT: https://instructions.brp.com/content...mber=219400990

If you scroll down, it'll show the back panel that has to be removed to gain access to install the wiring harness. Although, it does tell you to refer to the Shop Manual for directions on how to remove it.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the suggestions, I’ll look into both of these ideas.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

It appears as though the back plastic is held in place with friction tabs. However, I'm very reluctant to grab and pull without knowing just a bit more. Moving the two plastic screw-pins on the rear fender didn't loosen anything.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I downloaded the manual and removed enough to install the ShowChrome trailer hitch wiring harness. VEEEERY different than the old tupperware. Older Spyders can be almost taken apart with a single star driver and a 10mm socket. New spyder requires multiple stars and sockets, box end wrenches, etc.

The flat black plastic component than goes over the saddlebags was a pain to get to, and not easy to re position. Nonetheless it is doable for a mediocre weekend mechanic like myself.

Once websites start listing them, I'm going to buy a cache of the two sizes of plastic screw-in pins that are used in various positions. They're hard to remove and a couple of the ones I took out don't look very good now. The screws are Phillips head, but some of the screws were so hard to turn that I ended up prying them out.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Take the Phillips head part to a hardware store, buy stainless screws, replace. Works great!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I downloaded the manual and removed enough to install the ShowChrome trailer hitch wiring harness. VEEEERY different than the old tupperware. Older Spyders can be almost taken apart with a single star driver and a 10mm socket. New spyder requires multiple stars and sockets, box end wrenches, etc.

The flat black plastic component than goes over the saddlebags was a pain to get to, and not easy to re position. Nonetheless it is doable for a mediocre weekend mechanic like myself.

Once websites start listing them, I'm going to buy a cache of the two sizes of plastic screw-in pins that are used in various positions. They're hard to remove and a couple of the ones I took out don't look very good now. The screws are Phillips head, but some of the screws were so hard to turn that I ended up prying them out.
    Yes, those deep screw are a pain. What wiring harness worked for you? Do you have a link? I bought the Show Chrome one and it did not fit the connectors. Web site they would, but no.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jredman View Post
    Yes, those deep screw are a pain. What wiring harness worked for you? Do you have a link? I bought the Show Chrome one and it did not fit the connectors. Web site they would, but no.
    I also bought the ShowChrome harness, but I bought the one for the F3. The F3 uses the same light connectors as the 2020 RT.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Take the Phillips head part to a hardware store, buy stainless screws, replace. Works great!
    You know that already? !!!!!!!!!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

brp.png

Information has been added to your case:
    "Hi, Trailer kit and control module for F3-T or Limited 2018 and up is #219400852. New trailer kit and control module for 2020 RT Limited is #219400990. According to the drawings, they do not share the main components such as trailer hitch assy and module so, unfortunately, #219400852 was not designed to be installed on a 2020 RT Limited. It would be the same for #219400854 used for RT 2018-2019. The only option for a 2020 RT Limited is #219400990. Thank you. Have a great safe day."
    Please go on the Case tab on BOSSWeb to answer. DO NOT reply to this email.
    If needed, the information can be consulted on the portal.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    My bike trailer requires a 5-pin connector, so the BRP harness won’t work. I had a ShowChrome (Big Bike Parts) harness on my last bike and it worked perfectly, so I bought one for my RT. They don’t yet make one for the 2020 RT, but they claim the F3 harness fits perfectly. Unfortunately, it comes with F3 instructions.

Taking apart my 2014 was pretty straightforward, but I can’t figure out what’s what on the 2020. I removed the trunk and backseat, and I looked for a way to get into the area around the rear brake light/turn signals. i couldn’t get in after removing several pins and screws, and I was afraid to keep digging too far. CheapCycleParts.com has explosion diagrams of Can-Am bikes through 2019, but nothing on the new RT.

So - anyone know how to get into the area between the saddlebags and the rear lights? I think I can run the power wires to the front easily enough, but I’m not disassembling the back any further until I get some idea what I digging into.
    Found this on you tube

https://youtu.be/cykgiHL7faE
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I sure can't see why the 2020 F3 LTD hitch won't work on a 2020 RT. The harness connectors are the same and the swing arm part numbers are the same so the same hitch should fit both swingarms. The swing arm is the same as on the 2019 RT.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)