Thread: 622 Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default 622 Trailer

Just bought a 2019 RT and I have a 2010 622 BRP trailer . When you bought a new Spyder it came with a new cylinder that matched your ignition key so you just changed the cylinder in your trailer . But of course BRP didn’t include a key cylinder with the new 2019 RT .

Any thoughts ? Anyone have a locksmith re-key their trailer cylinder ?

Thanks for your constructive replies
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I haven't looked, but is there any chance that BRP still sells the key cylinders as parts or options??

You should have recieved a key code tag with the keys for your new 2019RT, so if BRP still have the cylinders available as spares (& you'd think they would?? ) it shouldn't be too hard to acquire one & get it set appropriately iaw that code - not sure how cheap or expensive that'd be tho?!

It's probably worth spending some time going thru their parts list (or cheapcycleparts ) or maybe you could try asking your dealer - altho I suspect that searching for & finding the part # yourself first is more likely to get the desired result!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Best to keep it as two separate locks and keys. It can be rekeyed, and others have had it done, but it is a bother. If you take the old Spyder ignition key and get a non coded key cut from it, that will work for the trailer.

Unrelated to the key, you may need to do the trailer upgrade for the lights to work correctly on your 2019.

Spyder Garage

What we did was have keys cut from our past Spyder that worked in the trailer. These are non-chipped key blanks. I ended up purchasing 10 key blanks for about $1.00 each and then had two cut from the master (Spyder) key. I then gave out the extras to fellow riders who have RT622 trailers so they can do the same when they trade, or purchase new Spyders. I think BRP quit supplying the lock blanks in 2015.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I got the cylinder with my 2017 RT-S, so they were still giving them out then.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Default Key cylinder for 622 trailer or freedom trailer

Anyone get a new 2019 RT and did it come with an extra key cylinder for the 622 trailer or freedom trailer ?
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

If memory serves the freedom trailer tumbler is not interchangeable like the 622 was/is. I also think they stopped giving out spare locks somewhere around 2015 or so?
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The extra key tumbler came with the '16s. They stopped when the '17s came out with the top box. You can buy an extra tumbler off of eBay and maybe through BRP. And yes, the tumbler only worked with the RT622 trailer. The Freedom trailer is completely different.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    Anyone get a new 2019 RT and did it come with an extra key cylinder for the 622 trailer or freedom trailer ?
    only ever seen a tumbler for the 622, cannot get my freedom to key up with my spyder.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Just herd back from BRP ,they stopped giving you the keyed tumbler after 2016.5 in the RT but continue to give you a tumbler with the F3 because of the option to add a top box .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

When I bought my 2019 F3L I had a 2012 622 trailer, took the lock cylinder to my local locksmith and he keyed it to match the F3 ignition key.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobbobtar View Post
    When I bought my 2019 F3L I had a 2012 622 trailer, took the lock cylinder to my local locksmith and he keyed it to match the F3 ignition key.
    That's good to know.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobbobtar View Post
    That's really interesting. I was told it couldn't be done. Guess I'll be seeing a locksmith shortly.

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    Glo-riders
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    That's really interesting. I was told it couldn't be done. Guess I'll be seeing a locksmith shortly.
    I reckon that might just have a little to do with which 'locksmith' you take it to, and where/how they learnt their craft & developed their skills?!?

I've met some 'locksmiths' who couldn't open a wet paper bag or fit a key to a sardine can!! (My most humble aologies to all the Real Locksmiths out there who CAN, WILL & DO do some amazing things with & to Locks of all types! )
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Best to keep it as two separate locks and keys. It can be rekeyed, and others have had it done, but it is a bother. If you take the old Spyder ignition key and get a non coded key cut from it, that will work for the trailer.

Unrelated to the key, you may need to do the trailer upgrade for the lights to work correctly on your 2019.
    I have a 2018 RT and getting a 622 trailer. What upgrade do we need for the lights to work?

Thanks
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

If your current ignition key fits in the RT622 tumbler (it doesn't have to turn it, just slip in), it can be rekeyed by a good locksmith. If it doesn't fit, it can't be rekeyed to your Spyder. I recently had my tumbler for my RT622 trailer rekeyed to fit the ignition key on my 2020 RT Limited. Cost me $24.00. A day later, Cruzr Joe had his rekeyed by the same shop and he was charged $12.00. Go figure. I normally would have said something to the shop, but I was just happy to have my tumbler rekeyed.

Just remove the tumbler and take it in the the shop. It'll be done while you wait.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    .....I recently had my tumbler for my RT622 trailer rekeyed to fit the ignition key on my 2020 RT Limited. Cost me $24.00. A day later, Cruzr Joe had his rekeyed by the same shop and he was charged $12.00. Go figure......
    That was probly cos they worked out how easy it was to do on yours!

Not all tumbler assy's are quite so easy to re-key, but it looks like the RT622 Trailer Key tumbler was made specifically with doing this in mind! Still, not quite as easy to get past from the outside once the trailer's locked as some are tho.... Well, not without leaving noticeable signs &/or replacing the whole thing, anyway!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I have a 2018 RT and getting a 622 trailer. What upgrade do we need for the lights to work?

Thanks
    Original post noted he was purchasing a 2010 trailer.

You did not mention what year trailer you purchased. Not all RT622 trailers require upgrades to the electrical harness and connector. Your dealer should be able to know exactly what you will need.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Original post noted he was purchasing a 2010 trailer.

You did not mention what year trailer you purchased. Not all RT622 trailers require upgrades to the electrical harness and connector. Your dealer should be able to know exactly what you will need.
    I was going to pick up a 2010 622 today but the guy sold it out from under me. Kinda sucks! :-(
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I was going to pick up a 2010 622 today but the guy sold it out from under me. Kinda sucks! :-(
    Not saying it is right, but it does happen. Typically first with money in hand gets the item. Did you send him a deposit to at least try and get first actual shot at buying it? Sometimes, another buyer comes in and offers more and gets there before you.

Bummer, but there will be others.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The seller was 3 hours away and wouldn't take PayPal, only cash so I was going to get it and ride out the next day but I got a message 3 hours later telling me he sold it. I knew it was a good deal but didn't think it would go that quick.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a locksmith re-key mine- The longest part was getting it out of the 622. Took him all of 10 mins
    2017 RTL , White