Spyder Garage

Question 2 up rear shock?

I see mention of this in numerous threads....Is this the same as the Fox option on the BRP site?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    I see mention of this in numerous threads....Is this the same as the Fox option on the BRP site?
    you can use the stronger spring for the original shock or the much more expensive adjustable FOX .. if you ryde full loaded it has to be adjusted for maximum stength before you build it in ..
    I had a problem when I got it (my rear fender has now some damage) - but now it works fine .. 10.000 miles on mine !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    you can use the stronger spring for the original shock or the much more expensive adjustable FOX .. if you ryde full loaded it has to be adjusted for maximum stength before you build it in ..
    I had a problem when I got it (my rear fender has now some damage) - but now it works fine .. 10.000 miles on mine !
    I hadn't thought about a stronger spring, Chris. Sounds like a great idea for those of us with a limited budget, that would like to save a bit of money but still get the benefit of a two up performance. I would not know where to start looking for a "stronger spring" that would fit. Since I have never done a coil spring before, just leaf springs on other vehicles, I am not sure of what specs I would be using in my search. Do you have any ideas?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Contact your dealer. They have what you need. cueman

Spyder Garage

i believe the 2 up spring is 58 dollars from the dealer.

Spyder Garage

I see you ride a 2015 RTS, does that model have the air bag? If so, when choosing a spring for 2 up make sure you don't over-spring it. If you put enough spring on there to carry the full weight of 2 passengers with minimal air in the bag your ride will be rather stiff if solo. I did a rear spring project for my 2018 RTL, it came with an OEM spring rate in the mid 300 Lb/In range. Mine had the automatic air leveling system, and with the OEM spring it carried 43 PSI in the rear air bag with just me on the bike. After I installed the 600 Lb/In spring the air system carries between 5-10 PSI and when solo the ride is very smooth and comfortable. When 2 up the original spring carried around 75 PSI in the air bag, the new 600 Lb/In spring brought that down to 35 PSI while 2 up. Not an expert, just some food for thought. I did this to save wear and tear on the air compressor.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ferrerid=34189
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I see you ride a 2015 RTS, does that model have the air bag? If so, when choosing a spring for 2 up make sure you don't over-spring it. If you put enough spring on there to carry the full weight of 2 passengers with minimal air in the bag your ride will be rather stiff if solo. I did a rear spring project for my 2018 RTL, it came with an OEM spring rate in the mid 300 Lb/In range. Mine had the automatic air leveling system, and with the OEM spring it carried 43 PSI in the rear air bag with just me on the bike. After I installed the 600 Lb/In spring the air system carries between 5-10 PSI and when solo the ride is very smooth and comfortable. When 2 up the original spring carried around 75 PSI in the air bag, the new 600 Lb/In spring brought that down to 35 PSI while 2 up. Not an expert, just some food for thought. I did this to save wear and tear on the air compressor.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ferrerid=34189
    Yep but I am thinking of buying a Ryker so thats why this was posted in Ryker thread

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    Yep but I am thinking of buying a Ryker so thats why this was posted in Ryker thread
    Missed the location. Sorry.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

On the Base Spyder F3 and F3S (bare with me here - I'll circle back to the Ryker) - they sell an "Occasional 2-up Shock". It's around $200. It's MUCH better than the stock shock - but not near as good as the really expensive Fox Shock. With the Ryker - it's my. understanding they are doing the same thing - there is a "2-up shock" sold by Can Am for the Ryker - that is a significant step up over the stock shock - but still budget friendly and not near as good as the more expensive Fox Shocks.

On my F3S - I'm quite content with the budget option for now.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dklehman View Post
    i believe the 2 up spring is 58 dollars from the dealer.
    I wonder if that spring is any different from the one already on the Rally. I'll have to give them a call and ask. It would be nice to find a spring that would fit OVER the existing spring, a bit shorter so that you would have the normal function of the stock spring until a load is put on it that requires the additional support of a heavy duty spring. Is that how they work, or is it just a replacement spring? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question. Like I said before, my limited experience with springs is the leaf style.

Spyder Garage

has anyone installed the 2 up spring themselves? if not and you had the dealer do it what was the charge to have that done?

Spyder Garage

Local suspension shop charges $15..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue