Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

My 2020 F3 does the same from the right hand engine/transmission side. Quite loud too. 4000 km and still loud.

Update: the noise starts at about 77 kph and gets really loud after 80kph regardless of the gear the bike is in. It's hard to believe that the belt is responsible.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

Okay here is the deal since I first posted this.
    Started riding the new 2020RT in mid April I now have 12000 miles on it. (that's a lot of local miles in a NH short riding season) From day one the whine has been there, no matter what I have done or the dealer has done, there has been no change. Whatever position the drive belt is in it's still there just louder or softer at different speeds... mostly 50mph. Dealer contacted BRP, but they have not had problems up to this point in April... or so they say. Then later on they said they're working on it and think it's the front sprocket/pulley. Move on to what's going on now... they have given my dealership a part # for the new pulley but as of today the part is not available with no release date. They told the dealer that the belt is not riding on/in the pulley correctly.
    So I sit and wait to see what happens next.
    That's all the info I have...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 02:18 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies good for nothing but fun when tossed down the stairs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrwog View Post
    ... they have given my dealership a part # for the new pully but as of today the part is not available with no release date...
    Any chance you could get that part number from the dealer -- many of us would change pulleys if we could get the part.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

I will see what I can do. just keep in mind as I said it's not available as of yet
    Some people are like Slinkies good for nothing but fun when tossed down the stairs

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrwog View Post
    I will see what I can do. just keep in mind as I said it's not available as of yet
    Thank you. If they start getting orders for the part it may push then to increase availability.
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    Thank you. If they start getting orders for the part it may push then to increase availability.
    Okay here is the part #219 800 509
    Paul

Spyder Garage

I am having the same issue and it sounds more like a transmission gear sound to me. Occurs really bad at 2900 RPM, 49 mph in 5th gear. Sound is almost unbearable. I have almost 4000 miles and sound has gotten no better. Sound has been present since purchase. Having never owned or ridden a Spyder previously, I had no frame of reference on whether it was normal or not for the Spyder, however, I do know it is not a natural engine sound.
    2021 S2S , Green

Spyder Garage

Did you folks with the whining sound to a test drive on the exact vehicle that you purchased? Did you notice it during the test drive? I’m just wondering because I’m getting ready to purchase one and wondering what to look out for. I’m also wondering if the whining sound is on all bikes of that year or just certain ones.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    Did you folks with the whining sound to a test drive on the exact vehicle that you purchased? Did you notice it during the test drive? I’m just wondering because I’m getting ready to purchase one and wondering what to look out for. I’m also wondering if the whining sound is on all bikes of that year or just certain ones.
    No it is not all of them, I took a ride on 2 other new RT's 1 did it and 1 did not.
    Most that are doing it seem to be the same. Close to 50 mph if the whine is there you WILL hear it on the left
    Front side sitting on the machine in 5th gear. Mine has gotten worse over the 12k miles
    Now doing it in 6 also. If it is there, you WILL hear it. 5th gear at 50 mph just stay there and if it's there, you will hear it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 02:19 AM.

Spyder Garage

I had the noise on my '18 and now on my ' 21 (early)...
    so ButterSmooth..we aren't crazy.... yet!

Rick
    2018 RT-LTD , BLUE

Spyder Garage

Did not have an opportunity for a test drive due to COVID.
    2021 S2S , Green

Spyder Garage

We just purchased a 2021 Spyder RTL and on the way home from the dealer, it had the same noise you're referring to at 50 mph. It would disappear at higher speeds. Please keep us posted on your progress. I will be contacting my dealer next week.

Brian

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While my bike was in the shop yesterday, I asked the mechanic about labor charges to R/R the front pulley. He said about 2 hours partially due to have to realign the belt. If the new (2021 late) pulley is about $100 then it would be about a $300 fix. Honestly, the sound doesn't bother me that much.

Spyder Garage

Yup - 2020 RTL - noticed the whine, mostly when I make a right turn and shift into 2nd. Sounds like the horn - LOL!!! I actually thought I had hit it by mistake until I put two and two together.

Spyder Garage

I just got a 2020 RT Limited last Saturday. It does the exact same thing. 0-42, quiet as a church mouse. 43-52, (especially right at 49 ), whining noise, above 53, back to quiet. Like others have said, can’t really pinpoint where it’s coming from. Called dealer, they said bring it in and leave it. I’m waiting until first service I guess. Damndest thing I ever seen. Hope they figure something out. Everyone keeps complaining, maybe something will happen.

Spyder Garage

My 2021 Spyder RTL was doing the same thing. They sent the dealer a new sprocket/Gear (They wouldn't really tell me exactly what it was) and the noise is all but gone. You can still hear a very slight whine at 50 but not much. The head tech is Nick at Mountain Motorsports Roswell Ga. Tell your dealers' service manager to give him a call.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 02:20 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunspyder View Post
    My 2021 Spyder RTL was doing the same thing. They sent the dealer a new sprocket / Gear (They wouldn't really tell me exactly what it was) and the noise is all but gone. You can still hear a very slight whine at 50 but not much. The head tech is Nick at Mountain Motorsports Roswell Ga. Tell your dealers service manager to give him a call.
    Was this handled as warranty work? No charge?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    Was this handled as warranty work? No charge?
    Yes, definitely warranty work. This is common issue. There were 2 other Spyders at the dealership that had the same issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by justsmile0808 View Post
    Yup - 2020 RTL - noticed the whine, mostly when I make a right turn and shift into 2nd. Sounds like the horn - LOL!!! I actually thought I had hit it by mistake until I put two and two together.
    I thought I was the only one with the "horn" sound!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMB View Post
    I thought I was the only one with the "horn" sound!
    On my first ride leaving the dealer the 'horn' sounded as I pulled into the street. I thought I pulled a bonehead maneuver in front of a car. That sound went away with a tension and alignment of the belt.
    Spyder Tryke Pylot

Spyder Garage

Default Load Whining noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    Thanks for the link to the Smoaks Vblog. Good stuff. I'm not sure he's talking about the same sound though. This is a high pitched whine that occurs only at 48-51 mph. Below and above that range, she purrs. Then again, it's my 1st Can Am and I've only had it for a month, so I could be wrong. I did call Can Am North America today to see if they knew anything about it. Of course, they did not. After I told the nice young lady that several other people on SL.com had cited the same issue, she said she would let the social media team know about it. Ok. Am I turning blue yet from holding my breath?

The ship in the photo is the USS Arthur W. Radford DD-968, the 8th of the Spruance class destroyers. That was a newer class DD back in the 70s and 80s. No doubt, much different from the Korean war vintage DD you served on. I served on 3 Spru-cans, all of which were eventually "retired" for target practice.
    I have a 2020 and a 2021 RT Limited and they both make the same whining noise except the 2021 is worse. Does it between 47 and 52 mph. Very annoying. I owned a 2014 and 2018 before and both were very quiet. I think it may be coming from drive belt.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 02:21 AM.

Spyder Garage

Hi, this is Milt.
    I am in Ovid NY. I recently purchased a 2021 Sea to Sky and it has a very loud drivetrain noise between 45 and 55 mph. It is worst at 52 mph. I took it to the dealer and the service mgr rode it, then said he didn't hear anything (wrong answer). I like the machine otherwise, but am very unhappy about the noise. As time permits, I intend to contact the company about it. In my opinion it is not acceptable. Maybe those of us with this problem need to get together??
    Looking for comments. Thanks, Milt.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 02:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

We have a 2020 RTL and a 2021 F3L. Both had the whining noise; the RT at 42 mph and the F3 at 49 mph. I switched both to the new white pulley and no more noise!
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

My 2021RTL built in February ‘21 had a sortof whine sound on and off but it has quit now.. 2400+ miles … I just assumed it was stuff settling in on a new machine.. everything appears to be functioning as it should and I have absolutely NO complaints at this time.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I have the 2021 RT base model and noticed the same thing. I brought it up to my local dealer and they said it's normal. I notice it happens mostly in 5th gear around 45 to 50 mph. Doesn't happen slower than 45 and I usually end up in 6th gear at 50+. It can be annoying though because it is very loud.