Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, but luckily for mrwog it sounds like he has a dealer he can trust completely to get to the bottom of this and other issues, Ticket .......If only we could trust ALL of them like that.

Pete
    I have sold and worked at several Dealers, Cars and bikes over the years. Some are great and stand behind their sales and others as you know..... Welllll.
    I'm dealing with H&K motorsports in Hooksett, NH. One of the best dealers in the area. Yes, they have issues like any other business, but they work hard to keep a tight ship.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 02:15 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies good for nothing but fun when tossed down the stairs

Spyder Garage

The 2018 F3 Limited that I traded on the 2020 RT had this "whine". It was so bad it detracted from my enjoying the ride. It was definitely gear noise. RPM dependent. Started around 3000. Not the belt because it would make the same noise in neutral at 3000 rpm. So relieved that the RT doesn't have this issue. On the F3 the noise came from the housing just forward of the brake pedal.

Spyder Garage

I am noticing some whine. But I think it is from the front tires. You know the sound when on concrete grooved roads. But hear it on asphalt as well. Not all the time.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jredman View Post
    I am noticing some whine. But I think it is from the front tires. You know the sound when on concrete grooved roads. But hear it on asphalt as well. Not all the time.
    Is your a 2020? If so have them check alignment and if it's out it shoul be no charge
    For the alignment being new.
    Some people are like Slinkies good for nothing but fun when tossed down the stairs

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I will pay attention on my 2020 RTL to see if I. Hear the sound.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

I am going to revise my earlier response of no whine.

After reading the thread I paid particular attention to this. I notice "something", maybe interpreted as a whine around 45-65 mph, 3200-3400 RPM in 5th and 6th gear.

Interested in seeing what others discover on this. Bike was aligned at the dealer before taking delivery so should be able to rule that out.
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Spyder Garage

I hear it about 2600 rpm in 5th gear. hardly not at all in either 4th or 6th gear. I have almost 300 miles on a new 2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralS View Post
    I am going to revise my earlier response of no whine.

After reading the thread I paid particular attention to this. I notice "something", maybe interpreted as a whine around 45-65 mph, 3200-3400 RPM in 5th and 6th gear.

Interested in seeing what others discover on this. Bike was aligned at the dealer before taking delivery so should be able to rule that out.
    Did your dealer use a laser alignment system, Admiral? If they didn’t, I wouldn’t rule out “poorly aligned” just yet. My 2016 F3 was still out of alignment after my local dealer “aligned” it at build time

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Re Admiral's comment, at 45 to whatever I notice something 'different', sounds like coming from the front wheel or wheels, or tire whine (?) Since this is my first Spyder, Model year 2020, I have not given it much attention, as in, maybe it's supposed to be there? So I will ask my tech when I take it in for the 3K check to listen for it when he takes it on a check ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Did your dealer use a laser alignment system, Admiral? If they didn’t, I wouldn’t rule out “poorly aligned” just yet. My 2016 F3 was still out of alignment after my local dealer “aligned” it at build time

Pete
    It was laser aligned
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Spyder Garage

I have a 2019 F3 Spyder with 800 miles and at 40 to 45 MPH I hear an extremely loud gear whine regardless of what gear I am using. I thought this noise was atypical for these machines.

Spyder Garage

My friend has a 019 f3 it's as quiet as a church mouse.

Spyder Garage

I have mine now for a little over two weeks and have 700 miles on and I'm 100% sure between 70MPH and 75 the belt is vibrating.
    It's not a whining noise but a definite vibration and at a definite speed. I cannot remember the RPM
    It's not that bad I'm not pulling a trailer yet since I don't have a trailer hitch and it may get worse when I have more behind it, but
    it was terrible on the 14 and had to put a belt dapper on it which cured the problem at least the noise and vibration.

I have read here from somebody that it's like a banjo string or guitar string and that's a good analogy. The first thing I would check
    If it's the vibration is alignment and belt tension because they all vibrate at some state.

I checked the belt alignment. I checked the belt tension everything was right on the money. As far as the laser alignment I've never seen
    where that will help the belt any but if you have a tracking problem it is worth the money, especially if you're in the center of the road
    and you let go to handlebars and it always drifts in the same direction no matter what, that usually a sign something is out of alignment.
    Always take in account for the crown of the road. If it's bad enough and it's brand-new, the dealer should take care of this with laser
    alignment for free if there capable not all dealers are.

20200405_113430.jpg

Spyder Garage

I also have the whining that MRWOG describes. My whining seems to be when I'm accelerating, from the slight left front. Bought my 20202 RTL on 1/27/2020. Took it to the dealer at about 200 mile. They acknowledged the noise and told me to drive and see if it subsides. Maybe wait until after the 3000 mile oil change. We went to Daytona for bike week, drove 1250 while in Florida. Went to the dealer when we returned with 1600 miles to let them know the the whining was still there. They adjusted the belt, and checked the front end alignment. Said the noise was gone. NOPE, it's still there. Called the dealer and they still want me to wait for the oil change. They will test drive it again when I take it in for the brake safety recall and the body parts fitment fix. Hopefully they'll get the parts soon. Looking forward to some answers. Please let us know, as I will, if you get any answers.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jlhoug View Post
    I also have the whining that MRWOG describes. My whining seems to be when I'm accelerating, from the slight left front. Bought my 20202 RTL on 1/27/2020. Took it to the dealer at about 200 mile. They acknowledged the noise and told me to drive and see if it subsides. Maybe wait until after the 3000 mile oil change. We went to Daytona for bike week, drove 1250 while in Florida. Went to the dealer when we returned with 1600 miles to let them know the the whining was still there. They adjusted the belt, and checked the front end alignment. Said the noise was gone. NOPE, it's still there. Called the dealer and they still want me to wait for the oil change. They will test drive it again when I take it in for the brake safety recall and the body parts fitment fix. Hopefully they'll get the parts soon. Looking forward to some answers. Please let us know, as I will, if you get any answers.
    Mine seems to be getting louder in 4th and 5th gear and now starting in 6th.
    I don't wear my hearing aids When I ride WHATTT ! and it's very loud and I'm deaf as a stump.
    I want my buddy to ride it and see what he says.
    Weather has been cold and crappy but I managed to get out a few times.
    I have 1000 miles on it with 2k more to go... fingers crossed.

Spyder Garage

I've got about 650 miles on my 2020 RTL and it definitely has a whine. It occurs at 50 +/- 2 mph, regardless of gear or rpm. Can't say whether it's coming from front/back/left/right. I asked the dealer about it. Answer: We haven't heard about that from anyone else. Let it break in for a few thousand miles; should go away. We'll see. In the meantime, 6-speaker stereo + ear plugs and you barely notice it.
    USN SCPO (ret.) with a fondness for Red-tailed hawks
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT Limited (Redtail III)
    Previous rides:
    2014 BMW F700GS (Redtail II)
    2013 BMW K1200RS
    2010 Yamaha V-Star 1300T (Redtail I)
    2008 Suzuki Boulevard C50
    2020 Limited , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Retail, check out this Vlog by Smoaks about 6 mins into the video. If you're not aware, this guy is a RTL tech guru. So is that a newer class DD? I sailed on one for 4 years, Korean War vintage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdAnV1qrPso&t=1371s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Retail, check out this Vlog by Smoaks about 6 mins into the video. If you're not aware, this guy is a RTL tech guru. So is that a newer class DD? I sailed on one for 4 years, Korean War vintage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdAnV1qrPso&t=1371s
    Thanks for the link to the Smoaks Vblog. Good stuff. I'm not sure he's talking about the same sound though. This is a high pitched whine that occurs only at 48-51 mph. Below and above that range, she purrs. Then again, it's my 1st Can Am and I've only had it for a month, so I could be wrong. I did call Can Am North America today to see if they knew anything about it. Of course, they did not. After I told the nice young lady that several other people on SL.com had cited the same issue, she said she would let the social media team know about it. Ok. Am I turning blue yet from holding my breath?

The ship in the photo is the USS Arthur W. Radford DD-968, the 8th of the Spruance class destroyers. That was a newer class DD back in the 70s and 80s. No doubt, much different from the Korean war vintage DD you served on. I served on 3 Spru-cans, all of which were eventually "retired" for target practice.
    Previous rides:
    2013 BMW K1200RS
    2020 Limited , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My ship was the USS De Haven DD727, Allen M Sumner Class, sadly, sold or given to South Koreans. I suspect wound up for scrap, possibly molded into HD parts. :>) Loved that ship, especially in heavy seas.

Spyder Garage

Hey Redtail,I have the whine exactly where you do. It seems like 50 mph is the sweet spot. My dealer in Hanover Pa.heard it also and said he was going to put a ticket in to BRP. Mine is also a 2020 RTL.

Spyder Garage

Very interesting. I picked up my new 2020 Rt limited on the 11th and now have just under 1500 miles on it. I too noticed some higher pitched noise but since this is my first Can Am (with nothing to compare it to) I assumed it was normal. I will now have them check it out when I return it for the Non-Operating saddlebags.
    Chaplain "Hardcase" Mike
    Mission M25; Run For The Wall
    We ride for those who Can't
    Never Forgotten

2020 RT Limited Dark
    Baja Ron
    Short Reach Bars
    Comfort Seat w/Back Rest
    Passenger Arm Rest
    Lamonster Cuff With Drink Holder
    Garmin Zumo XT With Mont
    Spyder Pops Lighting
    Emergency Strobes
    CB Radio

2020 RT LIMITED (Dark) , Caulk White

Spyder Garage

I was back at the dealer today to do some accessorizing and had a talk with the service manager about the persistent whine at 50 mph. He said that he wasn't aware of anything having been reported to BRP or the 2020 RTs, but would double check. He caught up with me a little while later with interesting news. BRP is, in fact, aware of the issue. Apparently they got the ticket on yours, Sharp. BRP attributes it to exactly what Smoaks said in his vblog -- air trapped between the belt and the pulley being expelled under pressure. You were right Bikerbillone! BRP claims that the whine has always been there but because of the way the pulley was shrouded on pre-2020 models, it was much less noticeable. The shrouding changed with the 2020 redesign, so now it is more pronounced. According to the service manager, BRP is in the process of redesigning the pulley to mitigate the problem, but when a fix might be available is anyone's guess. So for now, please join me in becoming a "whine aficionado." Crank up the stereo and ride on!
    Previous rides:
    2013 BMW K1200RS
    2020 Limited , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    My ship was the USS De Haven DD727, Allen M Sumner Class, sadly, sold or given to South Koreans. I suspect wound up for scrap, possibly molded into HD parts. :>) Loved that ship, especially in heavy seas.
    My how things changed in 30 years. DD-727 was 376 ft long with a 40 ft beam. DD-968 was 563 ft long with a 55 ft beam. No wonder you loved her in heavy seas. Interestingly, the crew compliment was about the same on both ships: 336 and 334. The ships I served on were yachts compared to the Sumner Class ships. I salute you, Brother!
    Previous rides:
    2013 BMW K1200RS
    2020 Limited , Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    BRP attributes it to exactly what Smoaks said in his vblog -- air trapped between the belt and the pulley being expelled under pressure. You were right Bikerbillone! BRP claims that the whine has always been there but because of the way the pulley was shrouded on pre-2020 models, it was much less noticeable.
    And because of the way velocity interacts with air flow the fact you hear it a specific speed range makes perfectly good sense. An example, although not directly attributable to this case, was one day I was carrying my aluminum extension ladder on my pickup, propped up between the tailgate and top of the cab. In a certain range of speeds I heard a howl as the air passed by the ends of the open tube ladder rungs. The howl was only in a particular speed range.

Of course, Redtail, the cynic will tell you you are just hearing things!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

USS Compton DD-705 was my first ship!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna