Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT Limited - rpm/whining noise issue. Anyone else?

I recently bought a 2020 RT Limited on March 4th and after about 200 miles, 300 on it now. In 4th 5th and 6th gear I'm getting an excessive whining noise at certain RPM's and it's really loud.
    Took it back to the dealer and they took it for a ride, the tech came back and confirmed the issue. He thought it may be transmission noise and not the belt. So I left it with them to investigate. Today they called and said they adjusted the belt several different ways with no change with the whining still there. They called BRP and BRP said they have not had any dealers call on this issue yet.
    They have sold 3 2020's and no one has gotten back with this issue. The tech took another one out and came back with the same noise, so the service manager took both out and came back surprised it was so loud. I have known the service manager for over 30 years and he is a friend and a straight shooter and will deal with this. The tech put a post on the dealer only forum asking if any other tech's are having this issue.
    With that said they want me to put about 3k miles on it and we'll do an oil change and see what's what. I'm patient and being a mechanic for along time I'll play the game for a bit. I do allot of riding not being a weekend rider only so I'll get the 3k miles on soon, hope I don't get stranded on the back mountain roads with no cell service, I guess I can send smoke signals
    Any one else dealing with this?
    Paul
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-11-2020 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Title
    Some people are like Slinkies good for nothing but fun when tossed down the stairs

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about this issue. Glad you have good dealer. I am sure they will resolve issue. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Juuust a thought here, but back in the early days of Spyders & their belts, there were quite a few new owners complaining about 'whining'..... IIRC the fix was a 'pea-sized dab' of belt lube on the rear sprocket, and I have a feeling that BRP issued a notification of some sort about it. I certainly recall seeing a 'BRP provided pic' showing how little lube/grease was needed, and there was info about the preferred lube/grease too.

Maybe someone with a less active 'forgettory' than mine on this one could fill in a bit more detail, or even find the notification/image?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks I'll investigate this. Any one with info on this I'd love to here from
    Some people are like Slinkies good for nothing but fun when tossed down the stairs

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What Peter is referring to is a very unmistakable belt squeal that occurred under acceleration. Mostly the lower gears. It doesn't exactly fit what you have. But, a quick and dirty test is to wash your belt - leave it soapy and slippery - and go out for a spin. If the noise is gone, it's coming from your belt. If not, then that service blurb probably will be of no help; except for the part that says to verify tension. Ask your dealer to set your tension lower if you think it could be related to that.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lo4...ew?usp=sharing

(The 2020's should have been re-designed to have a shaft drive anyway.)

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    What Peter is referring to is a very unmistakable belt squeal that occurred under acceleration. Mostly the lower gears. It doesn't exactly fit what you have. But, a quick and dirty test is to wash your belt - leave it soapy and slippery - and go out for a spin. If the noise is gone, it's coming from your belt. If not, then that service blurb probably will be of no help; except for the part that says to verify tension. Ask your dealer to set your tension lower if you think it could be related to that.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post

It didn't really sound to me it was coming from the belt, sounded more internal.

Spyder Garage

Are you sure it's coming from the back of the bike ?
    When I picked my bike up, I had a mysterious whine coming out of the left fender.
    It was a piece of plastic that should have been tucked in place under the fender to protect the fender support.
    It had come loose and was rubbing against the tire.
    I hope this helps.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    When I picked my bike up, I had a mysterious whine coming out of the left fender.
    It was a piece of plastic that should have been tucked in place under the fender to protect the fender support.
    I hope this helps.
    Interesting

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I hope this helps.
    Mine happens at certain rpm's only in the taller gears

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It might be gear mesh. Break it in more then have the oil changed. Really hard to give a better answer since we are. Not there to hear it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrwog View Post
    I recently bought a 2020 RT Limited on March 4th and after about 200 miles, 300 on it now. In 4th 5th and 6th gear I'm getting an excessive whining noise at certain RPM's and it's really loud.
    Took it back to the dealer and they took it for a ride, the tech came back and confirmed the issue. He thought it may be transmission noise and not the belt. So I left it with them to investigate. Today they called and said they adjusted the belt several different ways with no change with the whining still there. They called BRP and BRP said they have not had any dealers call on this issue yet.
    They have sold 3 2020's and no one has gotten back with this issue. The tech took another one out and came back with the same noise, so the service manager took both out and came back surprised it was so loud. I have known the service manager for over 30 years and he is a friend and a straight shooter and will deal with this. The tech put a post on the dealer only forum asking if any other tech's are having this issue.
    With that said they want me to put about 3k miles on it and we'll do an oil change and see what's what. I'm patient and being a mechanic for along time I'll play the game for a bit. I do allot of riding not being a weekend rider only so I'll get the 3k miles on soon, hope I don't get stranded on the back mountain roads with no cell service, I guess I can send smoke signals
    Any one else dealing with this?
    Paul
    Sounds like you have done all the right things. I’m sure you have done this already but if not document dates/names/instruction from dealer/BRP ....you may be required to recall these details in the future. Sounds like the dealer is owning it so I would only do what they prescribe going forward.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    Sounds like you have done all the right things. I’m sure you have done this already but if not document dates/names/instruction from dealer/BRP ....you may be required to recall these details in the future. Sounds like the dealer is owning it so I would only do what they prescribe going forward.
    Being mechanically inclined I wanted to dig in further but thought...wait, I paid a lot of $ for this toy and I took it right away to them. As you say, they're owning it.

The good thing is I've known the service manager for over 30 years...��
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 02:10 AM.

Spyder Garage

Mine has it also. Have not mentioned it to the dealer service staff yet. It is in the higher gears as you pick up speed. Above that speed the noise disappears. And it sounds like it is from the front left fender area. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I have nearly 530 miles on my 2020 and have not noticed any whines. I’ll pay closer attention when I take out this weekend.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a little over 200 miles on mine and haven't noticed any whines either but will for sure be paying
    close attention.
    Good luck on finding the problem and hopefully it's something simple.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 RTS SE6 and it whines at 20 and 40 mph. Gear independent. Still don't why.

Dave

Spyder Garage

We have 600 miles or so on our 2020 RTL and have no whine noise.

Update - See post #32
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Juuust a thought here, but back in the early days of Spyders & their belts, there were quite a few new owners complaining about 'whining'..... IIRC the fix was a 'pea-sized dab' of belt lube on the rear sprocket, and I have a feeling that BRP issued a notification of some sort about it. I certainly recall seeing a 'BRP provided pic' showing how little lube/grease was needed, and there was info about the preferred lube/grease too.

Maybe someone with a less active 'forgettory' than mine on this one could fill in a bit more detail, or even find the notification/image?!
    Post #3
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1501613

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The 2014 RT-L was notorious for the "fuel pump whine". There are several threads that discussed this issue. Since I never got the fuel pump changed, I was accustomed to this "whine." We have close to 900 miles on the 2020, and I thought I was just imagining this whining noise. Initially, I thought it might be the vents in the windscreen causing the noise at certain speeds and a certain height. I haven't had the time to cover the holes up and test this theory. I've been too busy enjoying the ryde!

I also thought it might be the right fender causing the noise. We had an A-10 that got a bird strike on one its engines and had to replace the engine and front nacelle. You knew it was her taxiing back from the end of runway because of the sound she made. We called her the "howler." Bad airflow= sound.

I find it interesting that one of our members hears it on the left side of the spyder and I hear it on the right. After working 24 years on the flight line, I'm kinda deaf anyway so YMMV.

Just some random thoughts, I hope someone figures this out soon.
    2020 Petrol Metallic RT-Limited Dark Edition

2014 Silver Platinum Satin RT-Limited SE6 Project Road Warrior Edition (previous ride)

2009 Red SM5 (Previous Ride)

Retired MSgt ('89-'13) U.S. Air Force - A-10 Crew Chief

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Mine has it also. Have not mentioned it to the dealer service staff yet. It is in the higher gears as you pick up speed. Above that speed the noise disappears. And it sounds like it is from the front left fender area. Tom
    Keep us posted if you would.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    If it's when you pick up speed it may be belt alignment, mine does it in 4th at 3100 rpm and in 5th at 3000 rpm if you stay at this rpm and cruise it is obnoxious and very loud.
    The front end like many new spyders was out of alignment perfect now with the laser aligment have it check soon it should cost you nothing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrwog View Post
    The front end like many new spyders was out of alignment perfect now with the laser aligment have it check soon it should cost you nothing.
    How did you know it was out of alignment,

I ask this because the one I test rode for

an hour did not drift or feel out of alignment.

And do all can am dealerships have the laser

equipment to do the alignment? I wonder,

will that be covered under warranty, cuz

couldn't they say you hit a pothole and that's

what caused it.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, but luckily for mrwog it sounds like he has a dealer he can trust completely to get to the bottom of this and other issues, Ticket .......If only we could trust ALL of them like that.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post

what caused it.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post

what caused it.
    I had them check it and do it before I took delivery. This is my 3rd Spyder and 2 were out. My new leftover '14 ST was out when I bought it new in '15. I'm sure not all dealers have the laser system.
    As far as any issues with a new Spyder with next to no miles on it; it is on them and if the dealer is a stand-up dealership they should fix any issues on a new machine. A lot of Spyders come out with the front end out of alignment.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 02:14 AM.