Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RTL Side Access Cover Removal and Replacement

The following photos and description are of the removal and replacement of the Side Access Body Cover that you need to remove for an oil change, access to the brake fluid reservoir, and likely other maintenance needs.

Lift the driver’s seat.

The cover is held in place with 6 automotive style clips. Assuming you are facing the side of the bike, you remove the cover by pulling towards you (not up or down), beginning with the rear (closest to the seat) upper and lower clips. For me the bottom rear clip pulled out quite easily. The top rear clip was so snug that when it gave way (scary squeaking sound), all of the clips came out except the most forward clip. After removing I put a very thin film of silicone grease on each of the metal clips.

I reinstalled the cover by inserting the forward-most clip and then positioning the cover where each clip was in place and then applied minimal pressure to hear each one clip into place. In summary, not a big deal once you’ve done it once.

The following four photos show the cover, clips, clip locations, and a close-up of one of the clips.

Rob

Access Body Cover.jpg Clip Locations on the Access Cover.jpg Clip Locations on the Body.jpg Close up of a Clip.jpg
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting those pictures
    I have an F3T which uses the same Automotive clip used on panels as per your phots
    See photo below
    I have a couple that are loose and would like to get some new metal clips but can’t seem to find them
    Tried several names but still can’t locate any
    Does anyone know the correct make for those clips & a source to get some from
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Check with an out parts place
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Does anyone know the correct make for those clips & a source to get some from
    Thanks
    Look on Cheap Cycle Parts as it might be part number 517302785.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

That is a common clip. Check an auto parts store or stop in a body shop and inquire as to where they get them. That plastic tab that holds the clip is fragile, make sure you have it aligned and started correctly before you push the panel into place. The tabs will bend if pressure is applied and they are not aligned. An attempt to bend them back usually breaks the plastic tab. Triumph is fond of these fasteners and I have broken a tab or two on mine.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

The front mirror cover was missing one of the clips from the factory on our new 2020RT. Cover was slightly loose, removed it and found clip missing. They are the same as the what is on the access panel.
    Got replacements at Advance Auto Parts.
    https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...+interior+clip
    GM Trim Panel Clip
    Got a few extra to install for customers when they come in and are missing or fell off.
    Last edited by rick_w; 03-11-2020 at 07:08 AM.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories