Spyder Garage

Default 2010 Spyder RS - Why is oil tank almost full to the top with oil?

Why would my oil tank be almost full to the top with oil?

thanks

Spyder Garage

An interesting first post.

It could be a couple of things. Too much oil put in last go around. Been sitting awhile and the oil needs to be re-circulated.

Do check the oil with the proper operating temperature. Not supposed to be checked cold. There are complete instructions for checking the oil in the manual, and they should be followed exactly.

Let us know what happens.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by runyet View Post
    Why would my oil tank be almost full to the top with oil?

thanks
    If you don't KNOW exactly how much oil is in there, I would suggest it's safest NOT to run it until you do - even if that means draining the oil out & then re-filling it with the correct amount!

If your dry sump engined Spyder has been sitting & slowly draining oil from the reservoir tank (where it gets pumped to, but onky while the engine is running! ) into the bottom of the motor &/or cylinders (no large oil pan/sump reservoir remember, cos it's got a dry sump - so it's possibly drained out of the reservoir & filled the bottom of the cylinders with non-compressible oil! ) then someone has come along & found no oil on the bottom of the dip stick, so they've added another full quantity of oil, meaning that your engine/gearbox is now full to over-flowing with twice as much oil as it needs, then starting it juuust might be catastrophic! . You should only ever check the oil on these dry sumped Spyder motors immediately AFTER a ride, & if it's at an OK Level then (ie. anywhere between the Lo & Full marks on the dip stick ) unless there's a puddle of oil underneath it when you go to ride it the next time, be it a week, a month, or a year later, you still KNOW it's got enough oil in there!

Draining all the oil & refilling with ONLY the correct amount is a whole lot cheaper & easier than replacing a motor that's been destroyed due to over-filling it with oil!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Peter, I just cannot resist!!! You just responded to a two year old post, and the first one to do so for this thread, to boot! And how many times have you ....... Well, I won't say it!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Peter, I just cannot resist!!! You just responded to a two year old post, and the first one to do so for this thread, to boot! And how many times have you ....... Well, I won't say it!

Well thanks...

But I wonder why it came up on my 'New Posts' list this morning??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!