Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RTL GPS Power Issue And Fitments

Don't add this to the tally, as I've already posted.
    I picked up my 2020 RT Limited asphalt grey dark.
    The rear panel issue was resolved in the factory before mine was shipped.
    The rubber housings around the rear grips are still an issue.
    I also had another issue that so far is unreported.
    The GPS power connector to the Garmin harness was backwards. The shop had to switch + for - in order to make the GPS work.
    I managed to stretch a 40 mile trip home to over 100 miles.
    Now, I only have 500 more miles to break in the engine.

****UPDATE**** Only 450 miles to break in the engine. I just took Tornado for a nice ride at night.
    The handling is superb. Out of the box, as good as my 2014 with the RonBar.
    The headlights, out of the box were as good or better than my 2014 with the Lamonster LED upgrade.
    The foglight is on backorder, so it's not installed.

No. 2.jpg
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RTL GPS Power Issue And Fitments

I posted this as part of the tally thread, but I'm not sure who's read that.

I picked up my 2020 RT Limited asphalt grey dark.
    The rear panel issue was resolved in the factory before mine was shipped. The tabs all fit correctly.
    The rubber housings around the rear grips are still an issue. I don't know if there will be a recall for this.

I also had another issue that so far is unreported.
    It required a real Star Trek solution.
    The GPS power connector to the Garmin harness was backwards from the factory.
    The shop had to switch + for - in order to make the GPS work.
    Not a difficult fix, but in other words, "Captain, we've got to reverse the polarity"

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

DAMN, I've got to lose weight.

IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

When you say the power to the GPS was backwards are you referring to backwards as to the way the wiring harness that comes with the GPS is?

If so it's been that way since 2018. I had to do the same on our 2018 F3 when I installed the 595 Garmin on it. It was reported by Lamont that for some unknown reason BRP did this.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

The polarity on the GPS connector has had reverse polarity for a while. My 2019 F3 Limited was the same way.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

It was the same with another RTL(GUZZY). The tech had an issue then figured it out. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Easy to explain "backwards" GPS wiring. Can Am hired a UK electrical engineer. Where he/she comes from all local vehicles for use in UK and probably a few other backwards is better countries battery polarity standard positive (frame) negative ground "hot" I once borrowed a US battery from a friend and installed in conventual negative to frame, positive to hot side wiring, turned on "backward" wired vehicle power and destroyed an expensive computer/controller and blew a 50 cent fuse that didn't work fast enough. It's lucky Garmin GPS didn't self destruct when Can Am "backward" battery power was applied.
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Where is the gps hook up on 2020 rt?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeb View Post
    Where is the gps hook up on 2020 rt?
    The power is located on the right side just forward of your knee (power only when the motor is running). It's only power and does not run through the radio like the earlier years. If you have the GPS support from an earlier F3, it'll fit on the 2020 RTL. You just won't use the all the extra hook-ups on the old mount, just the power cord. You'll have to change (splice) the end to match the new end on the 2020 and that's pretty easy.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    The power is located on the right side just forward of your knee (power only when the motor is running).
    Do you have a photo of the connection? What panels/covers do you have to remove to get to it? I ask because I just purchased a Garmin Zumo XT and I want to connect to electrical and the GPS accessory. I removed the right Side Access Cover, but I can't see it/find it. I also don't really know what I'm looking for.

With your help I might get this done.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    Do you have a photo of the connection? What panels/covers do you have to remove to get to it? I ask because I just purchased a Garmin Zumo XT and I want to connect to electrical and the GPS accessory. I removed the right Side Access Cover, but I can't see it/find it. I also don't really know what I'm looking for.

With your help I might get this done.

Rob
    https://instructions.brp.com/content...mber=219400992

Here are the directions for installing the GPS mount on the 2020 RTL. This should answer your questions.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Thank you. I have this document as well, but I can't determine where I'm supposed to connect while only removing the side access cover. I guess I'm going to have to take off more plastic to get to the connector.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

As I look at this, the bike provides power only.
    There is no wired connection between the GPS harness and the bike audio.
    Am I correct ?
    That would seem to match what I'm experiencing.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    As I look at this, the bike provides power only.
    There is no wired connection between the GPS harness and the bike audio.
    Am I correct ?
    That would seem to match what I'm experiencing.
    Correct. There is no connection for GPS harness for the audio. Just the power. If you look at the diagram in the directions, you can see where it plugs in. It's one very small connector.

I'm going to use my old GPS harness from my 2016 F3L. It has more connectors (for audio) on it but I won't need those. I only need the very end that has the power connector. Now, I'll have to change the power connector end on my harness but that shouldn't be too hard. If you remember the "Customer accessory" power line on the F3s, this is almost the same on the 2020 RTs. The only difference is that on the F3s, the line was dead ended for you to hardwire in. On the 2020s there's a connector on it.

You can do one of two things to make the connection: 1. Cut the connector off on both the RT and the power end on the GPS harness and hardwire in, or, 2. Cut the connector off the end of the GPS mount and splice in the opposite end of what's on the RT and just plug it in. All the extra cords on the GPS harness can just be zip tied out of the way. Remember, the power for the GPS on the 2020 RT is only powered when the key is on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

So................. how do you get the GPS to send the voice instructions through the bike speakers, or through the bike bluetooth to the headsets ?

Right now, I'm using the bluetooth on the GPS for both instructions and music to the SENA headsets.
    I'm not unhappy with that, but it makes the whole BRP connect system superfluous.

I'd like to be able to use the bike controls to manage the music. I'm not sure that's possible while using the Garmin GPS.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

https://youtu.be/ncQSSPv9I60. Shawn goes through removing that side panel in this video. If you don't subscribe to his channel you should
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    https://youtu.be/ncQSSPv9I60. Shawn goes through removing that side panel in this video. If you don't subscribe to his channel you should
    Not in this one. This is just a ride. In one of his other ones he shows you some panels removed, but gives little to no insight into how.
    Rob

Spyder Garage

I finally have the side panels off of the 2020 RTL and I find the electrical connection for the GPS. I'm testing it first to make sure I know + and - and that it's a switched circuit. My problem is I can't get it to test "hot" from the connector that is supplied. When you installed was it hot? Did you have to add a fuse in the fuse box or anything? At this point the only thing I can do is cutoff the connector to absolutely make sure of my test. I'd rather not do that unless I have to.

Any advice?

Rob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    I finally have the side panels off of the 2020 RTL and I find the electrical connection for the GPS. I'm testing it first to make sure I know + and - and that it's a switched circuit. My problem is I can't get it to test "hot" from the connector that is supplied. When you installed was it hot? Did you have to add a fuse in the fuse box or anything? At this point the only thing I can do is cutoff the connector to absolutely make sure of my test. I'd rather not do that unless I have to.

Any advice?

Rob
    The GPS wiring harness on the 2020 RT is hot when the key is on. The wires are also reversed. Make sure you test it to verify.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Resolved! The Accessory/GPS fuse was bad. The two tone wire tested + and the black wire was ground. Tomorrow I'm going to make a pigtail from the accessory location to an easier location to get to in the future and install my Zumo XT.

Rob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser37 View Post
    Easy to explain "backwards" GPS wiring. Can Am hired a UK electrical engineer. Where he/she comes from all local vehicles for use in UK and probably a few other backwards is better countries battery polarity standard positive (frame) negative ground "hot" I once borrowed a US battery from a friend and installed in conventual negative to frame, positive to hot side wiring, turned on "backward" wired vehicle power and destroyed an expensive computer/controller and blew a 50 cent fuse that didn't work fast enough. It's lucky Garmin GPS didn't self destruct when Can Am "backward" battery power was applied.
    Nonsense, UK vehicles and EU vehicles have been negative ground since the 1950's.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Hey Ron, would you mind sending a few pictures of the right side panels removed? I am in the middle of installing the GPS and I am shocked how little information is in the owners manual and shop manual (I bought a few days ago) in regards to removing the panels. Thanks Bob
    Bob H - Derry, NH
    2020 Spyder RT Limited - Petrol Metallic Blue
    2010 RT622 Trailer and BRP Hitch
    BRP Vented Touring Windshield, BRP Backrest
    Garmin 590 with BRP Mount
    Fobo TPMS for Spyder and Trailer
    Lidlox, Blue Sea Fuse Box for power distribution
    Ram Ball Mounts for Radar Detector, Cup Holder and Phone Holder
    Sena 20S / SL2 Headsets, Foam Grip Covers, Belt Tensioner
    BAJA Ron Sway Bar and Shock Adjusters, Heli Bars

Spyder Garage

Bob, just raise the seat, and tug. The black panel comes right off.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default Email me and I'll send you my document

Bob, I'm working on a document to clarify panel removal. It's too big to attach to this post. Email me at robhowen@gmail.com and I'll email it to you. It's not finished, but it might get you to where you want to be.

Rob

Spyder Garage

Garmin Zumo XT installed on my 2020 RTL. I really like the brightness and resolution. Where I mounted it works well for me. In the process I learned how to remove and replace many of the right-side panels.

Rob

IMG_1973.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2020 RTL fitment fix from BRP is supposed to be available to dealers in April, maybe someone will post on the forum when they get it done. My dealer is supposed to call when the fix is available, but you know how that goes. With this 'crud' going around, it may not happen in April.