Spyder Garage

Question 2013 RSS SE5 Lost Keys HELP!

I am sure this has been asked before i read a lot about lost keys, DESS, BUDS... and Summer is almost here and i can't find my keys!!!
    So, I have a 2013 RSS SE5 I was going to buy just the ignition switch with the keys but after reading a lot I see that I will also need a DESS Module. Went to the dealer they confirmed that I will need:
    1) Ignition Switch, 2) DESS Module and 3) 2.5 hours of labor.
    I can do the labor myself and save some money. My question is do I still need to drop it off at the dealer for programming or will this be a plug and play? its kind of hard since i don't have a trailer or a truck. Has anyone done this job that could kind of guide me trough it. Thanks in advance this has been a real headache and tomorrow will be a perfect day to ride i can take the morning a work on it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-09-2020 at 04:45 PM. Reason: This is a 'How do I?' not a Here's 'How to:' dyi explanation... ;)

Spyder Garage

pretty sure the dealer going to haves your programming master key requirements & all. & with DESS as finicky as they are good idea getting some warranty on it & the installation peace of mind. Guessing dealer couldn't look up key code from vin#

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Yeah i asked they would need to replace the whole switch and the DESS Module they don't store keys. I'm just trying to save some money on labor and the trip to the dealer. so if it is a plug and play i would replace it myself.

Spyder Garage

If you do not have any keys at all, you will need the new switch with keys and dess module. When you replace both, you will turn switch on and it will prompt you to insert second key to program dess. I have done 2 spyders that I have rebuilt.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Thank you!! will try to do it myself save me some money.

Spyder Garage

I got around changing both the Ignition with new keys and DESS module. Now when i turn the switch on, it displays "NEW KEY". I left it there for couple of minutes and nothing. I tried turning it on and it does turns on but shuts off shortly after. Can this be something else now its been sitting for around 2 years...thx for the help

Spyder Garage

I think i got it!!. Stays on no more New Key Error.. i think it was just from sitting so long. Everything works the only thing now is a check engine.. will take to the dealer for that

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverD View Post
    I think i got it!!. Stays on no more New Key Error.. i think it was just from sitting so long. Everything works the only thing now is a check engine.. will take to the dealer for that
    hope the dealer can get you up & going just as soon too

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverD View Post
    I got around changing both the Ignition with new keys and DESS module. Now when i turn the switch on, it displays "NEW KEY". I left it there for couple of minutes and nothing. I tried turning it on and it does turns on but shuts off shortly after. Can this be something else now its been sitting for around 2 years...thx for the help
    I think you were not aware of the concept of what was happening. Your new keys need to be programmed to that specific DESS module. It was trying to do that and telling you it wasn't happy. Make sure both of your keys will start the machine. Maybe this will shed some light on the subject. (5 pages)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N_b...ew?usp=sharing

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238