Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Any Left handed Throttle

Hi, I have been a motorcycle fan since I was a little kid and next month my Son will be turning 18. And like his father, he has the bug as well. The down side is that he won't be able to ride a regular bike because he has Cerebral Palsy and is weak on his right side.

He told me that he would like a motorcycle so he good co,me riding with me on trips. I looked up the Can Am Spyder bike and he fell in love with it. I then told him that if I can find a left handed throttle I will get it for him. Also is there a such thing as an automatic Can Am Spyder because that would make riding easier for my Son

Spyder Garage

welcome Do not know if there is such a thing. I believe anything is possible. With all the mods they do on this site, I am very impressed!!! I would call up a dealer also. Good-Luck, hope something can be done for your son!!!
    Last edited by BumbleBee; 07-30-2009 at 05:57 AM.
    "Happy Spyder Owner"
    2010 RTS PE 0174

Custom Plates & paint,
    ESI Triple play,mud flap lights,Fender tips/amber,Green Filter,Dayrunner/turn signals,Shortee Antenna,Scuff Guards,LED Brake Lights & 2 in 1 Harness,Brightsides & rear,Glo-ryders/amber,Kewlmetal inside trunk lightz,Garmin 660,Garmin Hood,Volt Meter & Oil Pressure Gauge,Utopia Backrest,IPS Key,ISCI Brake Pedal,Dual side/tall flag poles,SPYDERPOPS Heat Guard

http://www.farriscustoms.com

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default HI,

I hope you have looked a more at the , they have automatics, and most people love them, that have them

Spyder Garage

welcome

THere is a semi auto in so much you gear up with a paddle shifter on the left handle bar and then you can gear down the same way or let it automaticly gear down.No clutch is required nor is there one. As far as a left hand throttle i can't help you out but there are way more technical people on this site that i'm sure will be able to help you out. Also a forum on this site for dissabled riders. Under forums Enabled Spyderlovers. I hope it works out for you and your son.
    Last edited by fastfraser; 07-30-2009 at 07:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

As was said, there is no true automatic model of Spyder...only the semi-automatic, with paddle shifter plus automatic downshifting. As to the left-hand throttle, you are probably going to have to get a machist to custom make one for you. Old Indians had a left hand throttle, but that would not fit the Spyder bars, even if you found one to try. The control positions on modern motorcycles are set by law, including the right hand throttle, so no specialty equipment manufacturer is likely to provide one. A custom installation is your best likely choice. Best of luck on a worthy project.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have seen on other motorcycles where a rider has taken the throttle assy off the right and flipped it over to the left.
    It does make the roll forward to increase rather than back, but he adapted quite well to it.
    Ill take a look at mine when I get a sec and see what that might do.
    If its a dual cable (push/pull) you might even be able to swap them with a little modification and make it roll normally.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

you might want to look at ridley motorycles. Full auto tranny. throw a third wheel on the back and your son is good to go..

Spyder Garage

There are a few companies making conversions for the newer scooters. Danson trikes has a unit that looks pretty good on the web. The Suzuki Burgman and the Honda Silver wing both are pretty highway capable and fully automatic. Might be an answer to your problem with one of those.

Spyder Garage

I met a guy with an SE5 with a left handed throttle at my dealership. The dealer did the switch for him. Maybe they can give you some information.

http://hkphooksett.com/

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Left hand throttle

Quote Originally Posted by Melendrez View Post
    Hi, I have been a motorcycle fan since I was a little kid and next month my Son will be turning 18. And like his father, he has the bug as well. The down side is that he won't be able to ride a regular bike because he has Cerebral Palsy and is weak on his right side.

He told me that he would like a motorcycle so he good co,me riding with me on trips. I looked up the Can Am Spyder bike and he fell in love with it. I then told him that if I can find a left handed throttle I will get it for him. Also is there a such thing as an automatic Can Am Spyder because that would make riding easier for my Son
    I have just logged on and was reading your question regarding a left hand throttle. I have had to convert my throttle to the left handle bar the reason is that I have one arm boo hoo. The twist grip can be reused on the left side, you just swap the throttle cables. You then need a new body to house it in, I have made 3 variations but because the first one hasn't failed they have yet to be tried. If you are interested then I can send you the necessary info to build one. mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's relatively easy, as LittleJohn said, to simply flip a throttle from the right side to the left but it rolls backward. However, for someone like your son who has not ridden before, I don't think it would be a problem since he wouldn't have to re-learn anything. A member of our dirt riding club has done one for an ATV that his handicapped son rides. Saw another at the Springfield National last year. A young man who was missing his right arm was racing with it. He said it was no problem to learn to twist the throttle the other way.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Default Left handed throttle

Quote Originally Posted by mike spit View Post
    I have just logged on and was reading your question regarding a left hand throttle. I have had to convert my throttle to the left handle bar the reason is that I have one arm boo hoo. The twist grip can be reused on the left side, you just swap the throttle cables. You then need a new body to house it in, I have made 3 variations but because the first one hasn't failed they have yet to be tried. If you are interested then I can send you the necessary info to build one. mike
    I would like to get the details on yout left handed throttle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by QualityCap View Post
    I would like to get the details on yout left handed throttle.
    Mike is a great mate of mine. I'll get him to get in contact with you.
    2010 RT-S, PE#0011 (Babyanlee's "Evil Twin" in Australia), Garmin Zumo 660

Extremely Happy 2nd Spyder Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Also interested in left hand throttle.

Made a new friend who has no right arm. I am very mechanically inclined and would like to do this conversion to get him out on the road. Also wondering if anyone has added a steering stabilizer to help with unexpected bumps. Can someone post a picture of a completed conversion.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default it has been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Melendrez View Post

Have seen many done , will be seeing some guys soon ,location i'll give you a person of course brp dealer ,only on rs models tho