Spyder Garage

Default Sena SF4 or Cardo Freecom 4 plus

Hi all from NZ.
    Info: wife and I use LS2 modular helmets with sun visor - because of this there is a need for slimline models that don't stick down below the edge of the helmet and stick to the side of the helmet.
    There is a lot of true fans for each brand ....
    After a lot research and looking at info have decided on either of these 2 unit. These are not the top of the range, but in saying that they are not cheap units here - so need to get it right the first time.
    Not so much what is good about these units (enough propaganda from each company out there - unless something really outstanding) but fails, niggles, things to watch for before purchasing?
    Many thanks in advance from down under.
    Last edited by JBnLIZ; 03-08-2020 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Incorrect wording
    2011 RT , Manuctaured my own for aux lights Pearl white

Spyder Garage

I have been a dedicated Sena user for many years now and my old 20S units were giving up the ghost, so it was time to replace them. After looking around I thought I'd try something different and bought a dual set of FreeCom 4+.

Cutting to the chase, I didn't like them at all.

They don't integrate with iPhones software well. I have a Samsung and it worked well, but the wife has an iPhone 10 with the latest software. After contacting the help line I was informed that this lack of integration is the way it is and won't be resolved anytime soon. They blamed Apple and said they won't share their software, which is likely true but doesn't help the consumer. The help desk even admitted their sales team over sold the units capabilities.

Furthermore, their noise canceling is not nearly as good as Sena with lots of background noise coming through. Their noises also included a lot of weird squelching, hissing, and popping noises that were very troublesome. So much so, I returned the original units and got replacements under warranty, and the replacements did essentially the same thing.

The JBL speakers are nothing to write home about either. The standard Sena speakers are about the same sound quality as the supposedly high end JBLs.

If you're on separate bikes, like my wife and I, the range of the units is not nearly as good as advertised, but that is true for all of them.

Their phone app that controls the units is limited and they close off some of the software from use, reserving it for the top of the line PackTalk units.

All in all, I do not recommend these units and went back to Sena.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

packtalk bold all the way

Spyder Garage

We recently purchased a pair of Bell Mag 9/Sena helmets. Sena now has specialized SMH10 units that are made to fit into the Bell Mag 9 helmets. I spent less than 10 minutes for the full install.

We notice an improvement on the Sena performance from the same unit purchased several years back. We can now communicate up to three or four blocks (line of sight). Before, it was one and a half to two blocks.

We don't use the other features, so I cannot comment on them.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-10-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here is a little help for you from SENA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCLpnMHVMOw
    check it out
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JBnLIZ View Post
    Hi all from NZ.
    Info: wife and I use LS2 modular helmets with sun visor - because of this there is a need for slimline models that don't stick down below the edge of the helmet and stick to the side of the helmet.
    There is a lot of true fans for each brand ....
    After a lot research and looking at info have decided on either of these 2 unit. These are not the top of the range, but in saying that they are not cheap units here - so need to get it right the first time.
    Not so much what is good about these units (enough propaganda from each company out there - unless something really outstanding) but fails, niggles, things to watch for before purchasing?
    Many thanks in advance from down under.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Dave. We have a couple of people in other parts of our country that use these and think they are ok. I was just looking to see if there was any draw backs from getting this set rather than the Cardo Freecom 4+. (Which there are some pit falls to)
    Dave
    2011 RT , Manuctaured my own for aux lights Pearl white