Spyder Garage

Default Cheap Alternative for luggage

I just finished installing the plate and removable luggage box on my Ryker Rally. It may not look like a Rally to you, but I have replaced the rear fender with a FULL fender and when I replaced my handlbar and grips, the hand guards would not fit, so I didn't install them. Believe me, it's still a Rally. The luggage is a Comie, 42L box that cost me $49 with free shipping. It will hold two helmets. So, I have some saddle bags also and I can sling them across the mount before locking the box on it, if/when I need to some added carrying space.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Well done. Very nice

Spyder Garage

Nice I have the same trunk. I installed it behind the passenger seat, that way I can still ride with my kids.

Spyder Garage

This is perfect. I was looking at this the other day and I knew it should work. Thank you for confirming it will work. I will order it now.
    2019 Ryker , Orange Blaze

Spyder Garage

I also fixed my Givi topcase behind the passenger ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback12 View Post
    Nice I have the same trunk. I installed it behind the passenger seat, that way I can still ride with my kids.
    Since my wife is not riding with me yet, due to medical limitations, I installed the box so that the backrest works for me, the driver. When the kids come down, I can take the plate off and put the back seat on. They go out on it 2 up for the day, and do not need the luggage. The grandkids are in college and may not visit that often right now, but my daughter and her husband love to spend hours on the Ryker cruising around the area. I may pick up a smaller box to fit on the back for times when I just need to pick up something at the grocery store. I had no idea how large this thing would be once it was mounted. I do like having a back rest. And the mounting plate itself can be used with a bungee cord/net to carry just a small item, such as a package from the postal station, etc. I already promised my wife some steamed crabs or shrimp from the gulf. I can put an insulated bag in the box that will keep the seafood warm for the hour+ ride home. I think that even a six pack cooler will fit in the box, if I am not mistaken.

Spyder Garage

Looks great.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    I also fixed my Givi topcase behind the passenger ..
    I really like your setup, but unfortunately something like that would not work for me. You have a real nice steel mod to mount your box to. Plus my wife (dare I say it?) is not as petite as she was when we married 45 years ago. I doubt there would be enough room in front of the box for her to ride. If she ever decides to ride, I will remove the four bolts to the mounting base to remove it and then the passenger seat will slip right onto the cycle.

Spyder Garage

Looks nice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Tell me more about the full rear fender.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rickys View Post
    Tell me more about the full rear fender.

The full rear fender from the 600 and 900 will fit on the Rally version. I believe a couple of rivets need to be replaced is about all....besides that, its a bolt-in.

Spyder Garage

I think I paid about $60+ for it(rear fender) by shopping the Internet. Yes, it requires two rivets and one screw. I had to remove the rear wheel to get to the underside of the fender in order to install it. You have to remove the rear lights also, of course. It is NOT hard, just a learning experience. Of course, in order to remove the original fender, you must drill out the rivets and remove the screw. I found replacement rivets at Ace Hardware, but I am sure Lowes and Home Depot carries the same material. My new fender had holes that lined up with the old mounts. Not hard at all, or I wouldn't be able to do it.

Spyder Garage

@MDLNB How did you attach the Comie Mounting plate to the Ryker Max Mount? Did you have to drill through the max mount or did how did you do it?

Spyder Garage

I ride solo (no passenger seat) and have a similar setup... Givi B37 monolock case. Will fit my full face helmet, jacket, gloves when I go into work/store/etc. I have since moved the case back about 3 inches which gives me enough room for a backpack also if I decide to do a long weekend trip.
    Ryker side.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DorightRally View Post
    I ride solo (no passenger seat) and have a similar setup... Givi B37 monolock case. Will fit my full face helmet, jacket, gloves when I go into work/store/etc. I have since moved the case back about 3 inches which gives me enough room for a backpack also if I decide to do a long weekend trip.
    Ryker side.jpg
    How did you attach it to the max mount?

Spyder Garage

Simple plate that comes with the Givi case (very similar to the OP's pictures)... Just found placements on the max mount for the bolts to go through. I was able to find slots without having to drill.

Spyder Garage

I just ordered the Comie case. I look forward to the install and might be back to ask a question or two if I encounter any issues.

Spyder Garage

I didn't know about this thread. I ordered a Comie case on Friday. Seemed like the best deal on Amazon. I saw that a Ryker owner had mounted one.
    I got the 48 liter one.
    Last edited by ziggy; 05-16-2021 at 06:29 PM. Reason: 46 L to 48 L.

Spyder Garage

Is it easier to install the luggage on the max mount before the max mount is installed on the bike? I bought the mount and the luggage, planning on the install this weekend. Just curious what the easiest way would be before I open the boxes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE View Post
    Is it easier to install the luggage on the max mount before the max mount is installed on the bike? I bought the mount and the luggage, planning on the install this weekend. Just curious what the easiest way would be before I open the boxes.
    Max Mount first, then the top case.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

How did you mount it behind the passenger seat? did you fabricate your own mount? That's been my issue trying to figure out a mount for one behind the passenger seat. I know they sell one that also includes side bags but I don't want all that.

Spyder Garage

I just ordered the same trunk. My wife rides solo so it's going right on the max mount.
    2020 600 ACE , Black/Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spygoat View Post
    I just ordered the same trunk. My wife rides solo so it's going right on the max mount.
    The Comie case has it's own quick mount/ disconnect base. Mount the Comie base to the CanAm base plate, then the Commie
    case. Just line up a hole in the CanAm, best you can for the Comie base plate.