Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default New to me 2012 RT Limited

Picking up my new to me RT Limited tomorrow. Glad the weather here to going to be a little warmer and not raining. I will probably have a lot of questions moving forward. Long time on 2 wheels, but first ride with 3 points of contact.

I have been off of a bike for 5 years and discovered the Can Am with SE transmission about 3 weeks ago and had to have one.

See y’all out there!439581B3-ABF1-4918-B692-9E7C1D03FB68.jpg

Spyder Garage

Congratulations!!!!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Nice! Take those first few hours gently. Moving from two to three wheels will be a bit confusing until muscle memory and habit is modified.
    Counter-steering on three wheels does not work. You'll get it though.
    I think the 12's were the best of the earlier models. I loved mine.
    Looks like yours has car tires on front (hope so).
    Keep us posted on progress and questions.

Spyder Garage

On the new Spyder. I have the same year and model only in Lava Bronze. Beautiful white machine. Be sure you read the "Do's and Do Not's" for new Spyder riders. It will help you to understand and ride your Spyder easier . Take it easy and remember to steer it like a 4 wheeler. I too came from many years on two wheels. You are going to love riding your Spyder, so ride it lots.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone, picking it up this afternoon.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Go slow, til your sure of the new handling of a 3 wheeler. On the New to you 2012 RTL your going to love it ones you get a few mile on it. Wait til you come to your first stop, first its panic as you reach for the brake that is not there then you find it at your right foot now you think hay I never put my foot down wow; that's when that smile comes and you say to yourself this is nice. Enjoy
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Congratulations! My wife's Spyder is a bright red 2012 RT Limited (new to her just over two years ago) and she loves it. So do I but don't tell her. Mine is a 2015 RT-S and I also love it, especially on longer trips but for local riding or short trips her twin is more fun in my opinion. She on the other hand is perfectly happy on longer trips with her twin.

Keep in mind that the twin was designed as a high revving engine and it likes to run above about 4500 rpm where it functions as intended. It makes a very nice sound, in my opinion, and also serves exceptionally well as a rest stop reminder. We stop every 125 - 140 miles or so because her analog fuel gauge says it's time to and that gives us a moment to stretch and walk about. A good BRP design feature we think.

We'll see if things change given our most recent modifications. We just replaced the analog fuel and temp gauges with a digital voltmeter and dual USB charging port. When the analog gauges are disconnected the fuel and temp functions default to the central digital display between the speedometer and rev counter and are supposedly more accurate than the analog gauges. We shall see.

Again, congratulations and enjoy your riding experience. And download and print the Spyder Do's and Dont's fie if you haven't already. It contains a bunch of good information.

Spyder in the Desert.jpg

That's her in the background. We're just east of El Paso on our way to Tucson from San Antonio. Great trip without the slightest issue with either Spyder.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Many of us on the site consider the 2012 version of the RT...to be the best year of the 998's. That is a beautiful machine in "classy" white. You are going to love it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 rtl

Quote Originally Posted by Eredding View Post
    Picking up my new to me RT Limited tomorrow. Glad the weather here to going to be a little warmer and not raining. I will probably have a lot of questions moving forward. Long time on 2 wheels, but first ride with 3 points of contact.

I have been off of a bike for 5 years and discovered the Can Am with SE transmission about 3 weeks ago and had to have one.

See y’all out there!439581B3-ABF1-4918-B692-9E7C1D03FB68.jpg
    Congratulations on one of the best Spyders out there.I purchased mine 18 years ago and I love it just as much today as I did back in 2012.My wife and I have traveled in several states on ours and cant wait o start up again...have fun and share your stories.....

Spyder Garage

Well, picked them up right after lunch! Yes plural for 2, my father-in-law that is 74 just couldn’t resist so he bought a 2015 RT Limited in Red.

Handling was really different, from a motorcycle but in a good way. Best purchase I have ever made. I like the Revving of the v-twin. The 1330 is smooth and has a good amount of bottom end at lower RPM which is good for my father-in-law. I like them both for sure.

We are both signing up for BRP riders education. I need a refresher.
    27636F08-46A2-49DA-B48E-FA7BD2AAD120.jpg

Spyder Garage

Do yourself a big favor and read the operator's guide thoroughly several times. It will save you a lot of keyboard time.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Man I love this machine! Wife and I’s anniversary was today. We rode it about 20 miles to Kenesaw,GA to Hooters for lunch. I am shifting between 5,000 and 6,500 rpm. Cruising at 60 mph at about 4,000 and I always downshift to accelerate. 25-45 mph is tough have to stay in 2nd 3rd gear to keep rpm up in the 4K range. I guess I am shifting correct? This thing loves fuel driving around town.

Spyder Garage

I tend to keep my 998 above 3500 revs its happier there.. and they are more thirsty than the 1330s .. but more of a hoot to ride. Keep your eye on the oil level as well as they do use some oil.. and read them manual on how to check it properly as its not the same as a bike... they need to be checked hot after a good ride not cold... enjoy!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Curlytops View Post
    I tend to keep my 998 above 3500 revs its happier there.. and they are more thirsty than the 1330s .. but more of a hoot to ride. Keep your eye on the oil level as well as they do use some oil.. and read them manual on how to check it properly as its not the same as a bike... they need to be checked hot after a good ride not cold... enjoy!
    5500 is the recommended revs for the 998. There are many threads about this subject. The 998 does not "wake up" until you hit 5000 rpms. At 3500, you are actually lugging the 998 a little bit. Keeping it in the 5500 range takes a bit of practice at first. You will find you are driving 30's in first gear and don't use fifth gear until you get above 55 or so.

You may also find that your mileage will actually improve. I always got 30 mpg on mine. Had four of the 998's.

I drove the 50 miles one way on the Hana Highway in Maui, in first gear the whole ride (round trip).

3500 is the recommended rpms for the 1330 three cylinder. That gives us ballpark 40 mpg.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-10-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have the same bike and love it. Only problems since new was rear air ride and vaccum hoses.If it has never had a wheel alignment it may need one .Good luck and have fun.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Nice !! I ride a 2012 Spyder RT-S I love it. Congratulation and have a great riding year.

Spyder Garage

Our Viper Red 2012 RT-S is still a fun ride. Enjoy!
    2012 Viper Red RT-S (Sold)
    2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    5500 is the recommended revs for the 998. There are many threads about this subject. The 998 does not "wake up" until you hit 5000 rpms. At 3500, you are actually lugging the 998 a little bit. Keeping it in the 5500 range takes a bit of practice at first. You will find you are driving 30's in first gear and don't use fifth gear until you get above 55 or so.

You may also find that your mileage will actually improve. I always got 30 mpg on mine. Had four of the 998's.

I drove the 50 miles one way on the Hana Highway in Maui, in first gear the whole ride (round trip).

3500 is the recommended rpms for the 1330 three cylinder. That gives us ballpark 40 mpg.
    Sounds like I need to pickup the rpms a bit. Yeah drove home in 35 mph speed limit and never got above 2nd gear.

Spyder Garage

Working on fabricating floorboards for it now. I am using 1/4” tread plate aluminum and they 21” long. I will post pictures of the process.

Spyder Garage

Just got my 2012 RT-L SE5 this weekend!!! Let's keep in touch and fiqure these machines out!! Dave
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I got my first Spyder, I had a moment of panic. The first light I stopped at, I went to put my left foot down. Whoa!! No can do! Took a while to get used to, but i did. And you will also. Enjoy. If you can leave the house.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Sure will, got my floorboards finished and installed. I will post some pictures tomorrow of them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    Just got my 2012 RT-L SE5 this weekend!!! Let's keep in touch and fiqure these machines out!! Dave
    Sounds good, just finished my floorboards and installed them. They make a world of difference.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    When I got my first Spyder, I had a moment of panic. The first light I stopped at, I went to put my left foot down. Whoa!! No can do! Took a while to get used to, but i did. And you will also. Enjoy. If you can leave the house.
    ~Sandee~
    Yeah, it’s like riding a ATV on the street. I rode for about 30 minutes yesterday and it is starting to become second nature now.

Spyder Garage

Be sure to do two things 1) read the Do's and Don'ts section especially the older posts that talk about the 998 engine. 2) read the section in your owner's manual that deals with how to ride your Spyder. There is a good section on setting up a practice course. I used a large empty parking lot and some large plastic cups for the cones. Ride, ride a lot. I just got back from a 1500 mile trip on my 2012 and it was great. Rode with 3 Goldwing, 4 Harleys, one Tri Glide, and of course my Spyder.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze