Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Headlights, keyed. Why?

Why are the headlights always ON when key is on? Why do they stay on after key is turned off? What is "Load Shedding"? Is there a way to have key on and all circuits hot without the lights on? I did a "search" to no avail. Will Nanny bitch if I put a toggle in the circuit to the headlights? I want this so that I can work on circuits without having headlights draining battery while working on Spydie.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    Why are the headlights always ON when key is on? Why do they stay on after key is turned off? What is "Load Shedding"? Is there a way to have key on and all circuits hot without the lights on? I did a "search" to no avail. Will Nanny bitch if I put a toggle in the circuit to the headlights? I want this so that I can work on circuits without having headlights draining battery while working on Spydie.
    I have a 14 RT , and when I turn the key to ON … my headlights aren't ON until the engine actually fires ….. my tailites and fender lights will go ON when the key is turned to the first click ….. I don't know why yours should be different …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Load shed is relay controlled power to stuff like lights and such. It minimizes power draw until the relay gets the run signal from the engine. This helps it to avoid the dreaded low voltage codes, which seem to be varied and many if the battery voltage falls to below 10.5 for any reason. The lights time out after a few seconds (15?) when the Spyder is shut down. From what I understand the Spyders have so many computers, some of which never really shut off, that there is a pretty significant battery drain even when the Spyder is switched off. Hence the recommendation for a good battery tender while the Spyder is parked for more than a few days.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have a 14 RT , and when I turn the key to ON … my headlights aren't ON until the engine actually fires ….. my tailites and fender lights will go ON when the key is turned to the first click ….. I don't know why yours should be different …. Mike
    My headlights turn on as soon as the switch is turned on, which seems to lower available cranking voltage to 8.x volts as read by my Battery Moniter. It says battery voltage is around 12.3- 12.5 volts before cranking. This is with a new battery installed in Jan, 2020, running voltage is 14.5 volts +/- 0.2. So far, it has always started even in sub freezing temps. with battery maintainer connected. Maintainer is set at 2 amps. I might contact battery mfg and see what they say. Maybe have them send me their 450a battery. Thanks guys.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Tag-Along trailer
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

It is a federal mandate that all motorcycles have headlights on at all times. BRP is complying with that mandate.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Hi guys

We used to have headlights hard wired on motorcycles back in the 80's. That lasted a couple of years then the Govt decided it was not revelant anymore.

It seems that some manufacturers left them hard wired.

I know that in some cases headlights on actually made the bike very hard to see, like when the sun is low and behind the bike.

Any Aussies want to chip in, my information may be very rusty.

Cheers
    Frank

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Headlights - On or OFF

I would really appreciate if everyone is who able, to go out and turn your Key to the - ON position. …. Do NOT start the engine …. and report back what lights go on. ….. Thanks ,..... as I stated above - if my engine is not running my headlights are OFF ..… Mike

Spyder Garage

I would really appreciate if everyone is who able, to go out and turn your Key to the - ON position. …. Do NOT start the engine …. and report back what lights go on. ….. Thanks ,..... as I stated above - if my engine is not running my headlights are OFF ..… Mike
    2015 RT. Key on and headlights are off until the engine starts. They do stay on a bit after the RT is shut down.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

2019 RTL. Lights not on when key is turned to on, only running lights

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Did you buy the RT new or used? If used, then I'm guessing the previous owner jerry rigged the wiring so the lights do like you say. IF the lights are NOT off until the engine is started, AND do not turn OFF about 20 seconds after turning the ignition off, then something is HAYWIRE! And if your battery voltage really truly does drop to 8 volts when you hit the start button and the cluster does not blank out, then your engine computer is flakey!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Did you buy the RT new or used? If used, then I'm guessing the previous owner jerry rigged the wiring so the lights do like you say. IF the lights are NOT off until the engine is started, AND do not turn OFF about 20 seconds after turning the ignition off, then something is HAYWIRE! And if your battery voltage really truly does drop to 8 volts when you hit the start button and the cluster does not blank out, then your engine computer is flakey!

I bought it used in Nov. of 2018. I played with it today and the headlights DO come on when key is turned to ON and while cranking. Hinky, not Flakey. Lights go out about 30 seconds after key off. With key on, push and hold Mode, turn key off, let go of Mode, radio stays on. I wonder if P.O. had the ECU Flashed. It has always ran GREAT, and now that I've put on the RLS Cat-Delete Resonator it Hauls My Big Ass Fast and sounds absolutely awesome. Perhaps whoever did the flash "Hinkyed" the 'puter. Is there a way to tell if it has been flashed?
    Tag-Along trailer
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires

Spyder Garage

I bought it used in Nov. of 2018. I played with it today and the headlights DO come on when key is turned to ON and while cranking. Hinky, not Flakey. Lights go out about 30 seconds after key off. With key on, push and hold Mode, turn key off, let go of Mode, radio stays on. I wonder if P.O. had the ECU Flashed. It has always ran GREAT, and now that I've put on the RLS Cat-Delete Resonator it Hauls My Big Ass Fast and sounds absolutely awesome. Perhaps whoever did the flash "Hinkyed" the 'puter. Is there a way to tell if it has been flashed?
    Sounds like it may have been flashed but I don't know how to tell if it has been. As for the radio staying on that is normal. It will shut off though when the battery voltage drops below 12.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Are your hi-beam on?

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

As Mike said, when I turn on the ignition key the small LED lights that are outboard of the headlights come on but the headlights do not illuminate until the engine is running. My operator's guide says the engine has to reach 800 RPM before the headlights automatically turn on and they remain on for about 20 seconds after the engine is stopped. High beam or low beam doesn't matter on U.S. bikes because the headlights are single filament bulbs/LEDs with mechanical shutters that cover half the light for low beam.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default reply to headlights

headlights come on after engine is started, fender lights and rear lights come on with switch, they shut off after a few seconds, however by habit i just recycle switch to turn off headlights when i shut it down. 2017 rt

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by whitedog43 View Post
    headlights come on after engine is started, fender lights and rear lights come on with switch, they shut off after a few seconds, however by habit i just recycle switch to turn off headlights when i shut it down. 2017 rt
    I'll try the Recycle Key next time I start it to see if the headlights go off, then hit start to see if it keeps voltage up. But since I've got LEDs everywhere I don't think they'd draw enough amps away from the starter. I'll do a Amp Draw test, then, If that doesn't help I'll shove the old battery back in and see what gives.
    Tag-Along trailer
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think it is a federal law now that the lights come on and stay on for safety... check with your local DOT office, the lights on my car and my wifes car come on and stay on when the key is turned to the on position.

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My headlights turn on as soon as the switch is turned on, which seems to lower available cranking voltage to 8.x volts as read by my Battery Moniter. It says battery voltage is around 12.3- 12.5 volts before cranking. This is with a new battery installed in Jan, 2020, running voltage is 14.5 volts +/- 0.2. So far, it has always started even in sub freezing temps. with battery maintainer connected. Maintainer is set at 2 amps. I might contact battery mfg and see what they say. Maybe have them send me their 450a battery. Thanks guys.
    Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the instructions that came with my Battery Tender Jr. said that I should not start the vehicle with the Tender connected.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Key to on, headlights remain off. Engine started and running, headlights are on.

I do know the small fender lights and frunk interior lights will be on with switch on.

Never checked fog lights since I typically shut those down prior to engine shutdown.

Spyder Garage

At a guess, it has nothing to do with a possible reflash. More likely the lights shutdown via the main typical shutdown.

The lights incorrectly come on with the key and engine not running because of a failed relay.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm with PMK on your headlights on problem with key on...Someone with a schematic may be able to identify the controller that turns the headlights on after the bike is started and go from there...I'm thinking that controller or relay may have the contacts stuck together???? JUST A GUESS...My Spyder is flashed and the engine needs to be running for the headlights to come on...Keep us updated when you find the fix...larryd

Spyder Garage

Just front fender lights and bothbackup and taillights, when i truned the key to the first position. 2013 RT Limited
    Dave
    2013 RT Limited
    Lamonster FBB with larger gripper pegs
    Value Accessories dah mount
    Custom Dynamics High Mount brake light
    BRP passenger arm rests

Spyder Garage

My 2019 F3 limited does not turn on the headlights until you start the engine. My wife's 2018 RT is the same way except the small led lights next to the headlights do come on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    At a guess, it has nothing to do with a possible reflash. More likely the lights shutdown via the main typical shutdown.

The lights incorrectly come on with the key and engine not running because of a failed relay.
    If it was a stuck relay the lights would be on all the time. The power side of the headlights pass through the hi and lo headlamp relay contacts and is not keyed. The ground side of the lights is direct to ground. The power through the main headlight relay contact goes only to the power side of the coils of the hi and lo headlight relays. The ground side of the hi and lo relay coils go to the ECM. I really think the ECM is modified, either by flashing or internal failure. Why else would the lights come on with the key and turn off 20 seconds after the key is turned off? The ECM has a full time power source so it can keep the ground side of the headlight relays connected after the key is turned off.

I believe Revalden when he says the lights come on when the key is turned on and the motor has not yet been started. And as we have all said, that is not normal.

Also, there is no way he could crank the engine if in fact the battery voltage drops below 10.5 unless the ECM has been flashed, or has an internal failure.

Revalden, back to one of your original questions about the load shedding relay. That relay controls power to the hand grips and suspension compressor. The ground side of the relay coil goes to the cluster so the relay does not activate until the bike is running. The load shedding relay and headlight relays are not connected in any manner.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If it was a stuck relay the lights would be on all the time. The power side of the headlights pass through the hi and lo headlamp relay contacts and is not keyed. The ground side of the lights is direct to ground. The power through the main headlight relay contact goes only to the power side of the coils of the hi and lo headlight relays. The ground side of the hi and lo relay coils go to the ECM. I really think the ECM is modified, either by flashing or internal failure. Why else would the lights come on with the key and turn off 20 seconds after the key is turned off? The ECM has a full time power source so it can keep the ground side of the headlight relays connected after the key is turned off.

I believe Revalden when he says the lights come on when the key is turned on and the motor has not yet been started. And as we have all said, that is not normal.

Also, there is no way he could crank the engine if in fact the battery voltage drops below 10.5 unless the ECM has been flashed, or has an internal failure.

Revalden, back to one of your original questions about the load shedding relay. That relay controls power to the hand grips and suspension compressor. The ground side of the relay coil goes to the cluster so the relay does not activate until the bike is running. The load shedding relay and headlight relays are not connected in any manner.
    I would have to look at the schematic again, been a while. But I thought the headlights are also powered by the load shedding relay and another relay, so 2 relays for the headlights to work. So 1 could be stuck but would go off with the load shedding relay.
    2015 RTL , Red