Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    I would have to look at the schematic again, been a while. But I thought the headlights are also powered by the load shedding relay and another relay, so 2 relays for the headlights to work. So 1 could be stuck but would go off with the load shedding relay.
    Nope. I thought so too until I looked closely. The headlights have three relays, the main one with two outputs and its coil ground goes to the hi-low handlebar switch. Energized it directs the power to the high beam relay contact, and deenergized it directs power to the low beam relay contact. There is a jumper around to keep the low beam relay energized all the time to keep the headlight lit. This for US/Canada models only. Remember, US/Canada models have one headlight bulb only. High beam activates the shutter. The ground side of the high and low beam relays go to the ECM through which the circuit to ground is completed. The power side of all three relays is connected directly to battery power through the fuse box.

The load shedding relay has its ground side connected to the ECM through a pin different from the headlights. I haven't checked but the grip heaters and suspension compressor may shut off as soon as the ignition is turned off. That is why the suspension doesn't operate unless the engine is running.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Are these relays generic (available at auto parts stores) or BuRP only! Perhaps I'll pull them and check their circuits. Is there a diagram of how they operate, normally open or normally closed.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Also, there is no way he could crank the engine if in fact the battery voltage drops below 10.5 unless the ECM has been flashed, or has an internal failure.
    I have a "Battery Monitor" hooked between the Positive and Negative terminals. It sends info Bluetoothily to an AP on my phone and is always running in the background. It recorded 8.37 cranking volts, and engine does start but begrudgingly. Could starter be going out? I replaced the battery that was in Spydie when I bought it because of these low readings. I think I'll remove the Battery Monitor and see if the hard starting continues. And while I'm in there I'll add those star washers everyone extolls, even though the wire to terminal joints have been TIGHT.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Tag-Along trailer
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    I have a "Battery Monitor" hooked between the Positive and Negative terminals. It sends info Bluetoothily to an AP on my phone and is always running in the background. It recorded 8.37 cranking volts, and engine does start but begrudgingly.
    I don't know of any reports of starters going out. At this point I'm skeptical of your battery monitor. Response time may also be a factor. Hook another voltmeter to the battery to check cranking voltage. Open the throttle all the way and hold it while pushing the starter button. That will allow cranking the engine without firing. It's called something like clearing a flooded engine. That will give you a good read on the voltage drop while cranking. Has your cluster screen gone wonky while you're starting? That will happen if the voltage drops below 10.5. I just can't believe your engine will crank if the voltage truly is dropping below 10.5 unless something has been changed in the ECM or cluster.

I've never replaced a relay so can't say for sure if you can get them at an auto parts store, but I'm guessing you can. Schematics of relays are usually printed on the relay itself. The high and low beam relays are normally open, i.e., have to be energized to close. The main relay is a 3-way so one set of contacts is closed when energized and the other when not. But you probably know all this so don't be insulted by the explanation. I just want to make sure you know!

The terminals should be identified and relays pretty much adhere to a standard ID scheme which you find on the 'net.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 03-09-2020 at 01:02 AM. Reason: add last sentence

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Here's another test you can try.

First, the ground side of the starter solenoid coil goes to the ECM. There's jumper circuit with a diode from the hot side to the ground side of the starter solenoid coil. When the engine starts the ECM raises the ground circuit to full voltage thus causing the solenoid coil to no longer have a voltage differential and drops out. The power side of that coil is fed through the contacts of the pre-start relay. The pre-start relay coil ground goes through the starter button to ground.

Once the engine is running pushing the starter button will actuate the pre-start relay only. The starter solenoid coil won't energize because both sides are at the same voltage. So try this. Start the engine and then push the starter button. See if you can hear the starter solenoid kick in and cause the starter to turn. If it does, then there's a problem in the ECM because that indicates the ground side of the solenoid is staying at ground, which it shouldn't.

I'm guessing that the ground circuit for the starter solenoid inside the ECM will be open when the battery voltage drops below 10.5. When I've had my battery drop down to that level the starter button produces only silence.

I'm still of the opinion you have a flashed or defective ECM, or flashed into a defective condition.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

You said you have LED lights all over this thing? Are they aftermarket lights? If so, I'm wondering if they were wired in, in such a way as they're feeding the headlights...

Spyder Garage

My 2014 RT-S LEDs and fenders turn on with key. Headlights on start. Have always been that way.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I honestly would guess the headlights are on while driving for safety reasons. My 2016 Spyder F3 lights stay on for several seconds after shutdown.

Spyder Garage

If the ECU has been flashed then you would expect to find a company sticker on it from the flasher,no?

russ
    pres ride
    2014 RT-S
    bike is WIP
    bike has endured elect spike (was jump started incorrectly)
    still a WIP but bike is now running and registered....swapped out 5 modules mostly sourced from Canadian wrecker

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I would really appreciate if everyone is who able, to go out and turn your Key to the - ON position. …. Do NOT start the engine …. and report back what lights go on. ….. Thanks ,..... as I stated above - if my engine is not running my headlights are OFF ..… Mike
    Ditto . . my headlights come on only after the engine is started.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    I think it is a federal law now that the lights come on and stay on for safety... check with your local DOT office, the lights on my car and my wifes car come on and stay on when the key is turned to the on position.
    I don't think this applies to motorcycles with a hazard light switch and the ability to display a hazard flash function.

On my old 2014 RT the headlights did not come on until it started and only stayed on for about 30 seconds after stopping, and the same goes for my new 2020 RTL.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Hi guys, I haven't had time to go out and try your suggestions yet. I had to take "Management" to doctor for her knee surgery follow up appt. I've running up and down the stairs fetching things for her a lot, my legs are getting a workout. But I hope to get out there tomorrow b'cuz our club has a ride scheduled for this coming Saturday . I'll let ya'll know what I turn up. Thanks again for all your help. Rev.
    Tag-Along trailer
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires

Spyder Garage

Well guys, all I had to do was threaten it. Only the running lights and those little crystal lights next to the headlights come on when starting. Must've had my head up my . Sorry
    Tag-Along trailer
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires

Spyder Garage

2011 RT-S Lights DO come on when the key is turned to the ON position regardless of engine running. They will stay on as far as I know for the whole time the key is in the on position. Yes, there is a delay after shutdown before they turn off.
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bike-O-Din View Post
    2011 RT-S Lights DO come on when the key is turned to the ON position regardless of engine running. They will stay on as far as I know for the whole time the key is in the on position. Yes, there is a delay after shutdown before they turn off.
    You sure about the headlights? The owner's manual clearly states the headlights automatically turn on when the engine reaches 800 rpm.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Boy am I embarrassed. I just went out to the garage and turned on the spyder and sure enough the headlights do not come on. I guess it's just when starting in the dark garage the parking lights are bright enough that I thought they were the headlights.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Please feel free to continue the conversation while I go for a piece of humble pie.
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bike-O-Din View Post
    Boy am I embarrassed. I just went out to the garage and turned on the spyder and sure enough the headlights do not come on. I guess it's just when starting in the dark garage the parking lights are bright enough that I thought they were the headlights.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Please feel free to continue the conversation while I go for a piece of humble pie.
    Not a waste of conversation or effort because you learned something new about your Spyder!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I don't think the tender is needed to keep the battery charged... I had my 2018 RTL covered UP in storage in unheated bldg. all winter without a tender and when we had a nice riding day a week or so ago I uncovered the Spyder and it fired up right away???????? Just saying...
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Just an update on battery Cranking Voltage upon starting. Last few starts the Battery Monitor App last Tuesday showed 9.96v on first start. I made 4 stops that day and last reading showed 8.97v but engine fired right up each time. So, I'm going to check your suggestions in the next few days and I'll let ya'll know what, if anything, I find.
    Tag-Along trailer
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What "battery monitor" are you using that is giving you those numbers? They are WAY too low to enable any vehicle to run. I would suggest finding a reliable voltmeter to see if your "battery monitor" is giving you correct information.