Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2009 SM5 14 miles in the shop

Just got my 09 SM5 Black Phantom. Did all the little mods like 3' risers, logos, decals, Highway pegs etc within the first 5 miles. Didnt do any engine or exhaust mods at all.
    Rode the Spyder down to a friends, spent about 45 minutes there and the bike wouldnt start when I was ready to leave. Had it towed to the dealer where it has been for a week now. They say it needs a new cluster and they need another week with it. Anyone had similar problems?

Jay

Adjustable Highway Footrest Kit, Foot Peg Clevis Kit, 3” Black Anodized Handlebar Risers, Spyder Pointed Axle Caps Black PowderCoat,
    Spyder Nose and Tail Emblems-Silver on Black, Crampbuster, Throttlemeister Cruise, Carbon Fiber handlebar inserts, side panel trim kit, trunk popper - More to come!
    Last edited by 2009LoadedPhantom; 07-29-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Adding

Spyder Garage

welcome 2009LoadedPhantom on your purchase.
    Hope they get your problems worked out soon. This for sure is not typical of the spyder.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

A new cluster was put into mine before I bought it. The dealer didn't tell me that, but the service tec did - after I bought it. Don't know why it was replaced.

Juice
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

welcomeon. Hope they fix it soon.

Spyder Garage

The cluster contains the processor for the security system which matches up with the encoded keys for authorization/operation.

There were several past incidents of the the system not recognizing the key and denying starting or operation. The replacement of the cluster, combined with re-encoding the info to match the keys, solves that problem.

If the dealer wanted to get you on the road...fast... they could use a cluster from another bike... I've seen that once or twice.
    Last edited by ataDude; 07-29-2009 at 09:17 PM.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

welcome Hopefully your problems are resolved soon.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    The cluster contains the processor for the security system which matches up the the encoded keys for authorization.

There were several past incidents of the the system not recognizing the key and denying starting or operation. The replacement of the cluster, combined with re-encoding the info to match the keys, solves that problem.

If the dealer wanted to get you on the road...fast... they could use a cluster from another bike... I've seen that once or twice.
    welcomeSorry about the bad start with your

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We've heard of many, many people having electrical problems with their spyder & lots of people with no start problems. We love our spyder, but had a very bad dealer, St. Boni Motorsport in St. Bonificius, MN. Mark & his service department ran us thru the ringer, then let it sit about 2 1/2 weeks the first 6 weeks we owned it, with many very bad incidents. It is at another dealer now being checked out for intermittent no start issues & I intend to leave for Sturgis SD bike week August 3rd, hope it is ready by then. Will give you an update on our stressful saga when I return. I hope this will have a happy ending for us all!! Go pay the 135.00 for the shop manual. Hope to see some of you at bike week. I'm on the black & silver 2008 SE5. Studybakerbob

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Mine is in the shop with basically the same problem. I found if you leave the switch on for about a minute, you can hear something click. it is not the relays, seems to be coming from the right side above the engine, when it clicks it will start.

Wayne

Spyder Garage

welcome I would be a little assertive with my dealer if they had my brand new bike that long. But search through this site and you'll soon know more than many dealers about your bike.
    Keep us posted in any event.

Spyder Garage

My dealer pulled an IP from one on the floor, was on the road in about 30 minutes.

john

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 rs since 6/1 - within the first 500 miles i have had it jumped, towed and in the shop 4 times (they had it 25 days total ) It has stalled at stops and in 3 instances cut off / stalled while i was driving in 1st or 2nd gear. Contacted BRP- no help (opened a file). Dealer has replaced the battery - i not convinced - its stalled 2 or 3 times since but i do have 1500 miles on it now -2 or 3 stalls every 1000 miles - i guess i can live with it as long as starts back up. Next up steering recall later this week!

2010 RS-S- Pearl White with Ultrasport Windshield, Matte Black Powder Coated Wheels and Sprocket and Kuryakyn Lizard Lights

Love what LOURACING of PHILLY is doing -very creative- would like to do some additional mods as long as most of the bugs get worked out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by XLT View Post
    I have a 2010 rs since 6/1 - within the first 500 miles i have had it jumped, towed and in the shop 4 times (they had it 25 days total ) It has stalled at stops and in 3 instances cut off / stalled while i was driving in 1st or 2nd gear. Contacted BRP- no help (opened a file). Dealer has replaced the battery - i not convinced - its stalled 2 or 3 times since but i do have 1500 miles on it now -2 or 3 stalls every 1000 miles - i guess i can live with it as long as starts back up. Next up steering recall later this week!

2010 RS-S- Pearl White with Ultrasport Windshield, Matte Black Powder Coated Wheels and Sprocket and Kuryakyn Lizard Lights

Love what LOURACING of PHILLY is doing -very creative- would like to do some additional mods as long as most of the bugs get worked out.
    Did they do the clutch recall yet? If they did, I doubt they did it correctly. Not sure how you contacted BRP, but don't call, use the support email address to initiate contact.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

andwelcome

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses!

I called BRP customer service they took my information and told me that when it goes back in the shop to have the dealer contact the BRP teck people for help- I asked if they could call the dealer based on what I was telling them - she was unsure but would send it to someone at BRP. After it stalled again while driving (slowly) I took it in and let the dealership know what BRP said and again explained the problem. I also let them know that others who have had similar problems said that it may be something with the shift sensor / trans and that I had seen a possible recall listed on the net about this issue with 2010 RT and RS-S.
    The dealer kept the spyder in the shop for 10 days and was unable to reproduce/find the problem. I was told that they did not contact BRP teck for that very reason. The dealer also told me - no recall on 2010 RS-S (BRP would not confirm the recall ether )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by XLT View Post
    Thanks for the responses!

I called BRP customer service they took my information and told me that when it goes back in the shop to have the dealer contact the BRP teck people for help- I asked if they could call the dealer based on what I was telling them - she was unsure but would send it to someone at BRP. After it stalled again while driving (slowly) I took it in and let the dealership know what BRP said and again explained the problem. I also let them know that others who have had similar problems said that it may be something with the shift sensor / trans and that I had seen a possible recall listed on the net about this issue with 2010 RT and RS-S.
    The dealer kept the spyder in the shop for 10 days and was unable to reproduce/find the problem. I was told that they did not contact BRP teck for that very reason. The dealer also told me - no recall on 2010 RS-S (BRP would not confirm the recall ether )
    The information on the clutch recall (NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V2320000) is contained in BRP Warranty Campaign 2010-0005. Your Spyder may not be affected, but some RS Spyders are. If you have a model designation of A2AE, A2AL, A2AV, B1AC, or B1AF it may apply to you. You should have received a recall letter If it does apply, the dealer does not need to reproduce it to authorize repairs. In fact, even if it is not easily reproducible, they have an obligation to repair a safety issue, which stalling is. As I said, you need to contact Customer Support, instead of the tech line. This requires an initial contact by email to spydertechsupport@brp.com, rather than a phone call to their tech line. Lean on your idiot dealer until they make things right! Tell them next time you'll be glad to have your lawyer bring your Spyder in.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

thanks for the info - I'll give it a try.