Spyder Garage

Default VSS Fault/Limp Home Mode

After 5280 miles with no problems, I got these messages yesterday when I headed out for a ride on my 900 Ryker. The engine symbol was on also. Only recourse according to the manual is to get it to the dealer ASAP. The dealer is 8-9 miles away, closed today (naturally!). Anyone with a similar problem and what was the correction. Thanks in advance. By the way, I had just finished installing the Slingmods front fender running lights/sequential turn signals kit. Could this have caused a problem?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rakerrykerrider View Post
    After 5280 miles with no problems, I got these messages yesterday when I headed out for a ride on my 900 Ryker. The engine symbol was on also. Only recourse according to the manual is to get it to the dealer ASAP. The dealer is 8-9 miles away, closed today (naturally!). Anyone with a similar problem and what was the correction. Thanks in advance. By the way, I had just finished installing the Slingmods front fender running lights/sequential turn signals kitd. Could this have caused a problem?
    All signs point to "most likely".

Check all of your electrical plug connections that were disconnected when adding the new lights. If it was me, I would disconnect the new fender running lights and go back to stock to see if it goes away.

Spyder Garage

Agree with what Markubis suggested. The Ryker is finicky about it's wiring. The one time I got VSS Fault was after riding several miles in the mud (dirt roads after rain) and it cleared up just by washing the mud off! I assume I had mud caked on one of the sensors.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

The only electrical connection involved in the installation is the wire to the white LED on the front of the fender. All other connections feed off of this one. However, after viewing the digital manual, I traced the right front wheel sensor wire and discovered it had gotten pinched when the fender was remounted. Luckily, I was able to splice the two wires and that solved the problem. Saved a trip to the dealer! Thanks for the suggestions, it got me looking and finding the problem. Going for a ride!!

Spyder Garage

My wife had the same problem but within days of picking it up from the dealer (about an hour away). She was about 20 min from home when it happened, so she parked it at work and got a ride home. Long story short we got it to a local dealer and they ended up changing out the spark plug. According to them the spark plug installed by the factory or original dealer was trashed (not sure what that means)..been running smooth since then.