Spyder Garage

Cool Purchasing a 2008 GS SE5

Howdy,
    I am purchasing a 2008 Can Am Spyder GS SE5 this week. It has very low mileage and new tires. I had a few questions I hope you all can answer.
    1) Outside of normal wear and tear are there any major concerns outside of the recalls?
    2) What is the best oil to use?
    3) What is the best grade of octane?
    4) Recommended best tires when I have to replace them?

Thanks for all your help and have a blessed day.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2008 GS and have had it since new
    well almost new it had 600 miles on it...
    I would use the oil BRP uses or Amsoil if I were you.
    I use regular gas 89 on the pump I don't see any difference using ethyl
    I am running Michelin car tires and not the ones that come on them they
    don't seem to last very long.Keep your battery charged when not in use and check air and oil
    you will be fine.... If you ever need any accessories CALL ME
    or email me ...motorcycledave@mac.com (209) 887-3283
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Batoq99 View Post
    Howdy,
    I am purchasing a 2008 Can Am Spyder GS SE5 this week. It has very low mileage and new tires. I had a few questions I hope you all can answer.
    1) Outside of normal wear and tear are there any major concerns outside of the recalls?
    2) What is the best oil to use?
    3) What is the best grade of octane?
    4) Recommended best tires when I have to replace them?

Thanks for all your help and have a blessed day.
    #1. - that year did have some issues if it ran HOT, but removing plastic panels under the oil reservoir did help that issue.... also the vents on the side panels can have ( 4 " alumin. dryer hose added ) to better use the outside air to cool.... annnnnnd small computer fans ( check e-bay for those ) can be added if it's still an issue ……………..#2.- I like Shell Rotella T-6 full synthetic …...…...…..#3. - most folks used 87 octane, using a higher octane only costs more with no real benefit ………..# 4.- currently the best all-around tire for that year is the Vredestein Quatarc 5 …. it comes in a few 14" sizes , which you need for the front …….a 205/60 - 15 works for the rear.... annnnnnnnnnnnnnd & ...… find the " Do's and Dont's " thread lots of great info about Spyder driving there …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Still have my '08 GS, and still using Amsoil, just under 43,000 miles, 89 grade gas, and the Kumho tires.
    Enjoy the ride

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Thank you to everyone who responded. I really appreciate your knowledge.
    Be blessed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Enjoy !!

Spyder Garage

Check the pulley for red dust - should be glossy black. Pulleys go bad, better to find it early. Once they start they go quick.

Be sure it has the BRP grounding wire on the coil pack to the frame. Reduced noise on CanBus communications that can cause bike to stop shifting or get stuck in gear. Basically Transmission computer (TCU) stops. Was an issue with 2008 intro year models. Dealers added this whenever the bike came in the shop, but mine did not have it when I bought it a few years ago.

Learn how to pull codes! Write it down and stick in bike You have to pull code while engine is running, before you shut it off!
    Plenty of YouTube videos on changing oil, I get filters & seals from LaMonster or BajaRon; and stock up on motorcycle oil when on sale.
    A sway bar from BajaRon will completely change how the bike handles in curves, won't dip and rock at all anymore.
    HMF Exhaust is a reasonable cost, nice rumble (not awful loud) addition so ppl can hear you.
    Bump Skid with LED strip will protect you plastic nose and really light up and cut through fog (safety)
    Any LEDs to light up the back end. I got two 6" yellow strips and put on either side of the rear brake on the tupperware, very visible (safety again).
    Download a PDF service manual - plenty of people are sharing them on their Google drives, I can too.
    Inspect the three vacuum lines on the left side going to the MAP sensor - they like to crack. Replace with 3mmID/5mmOD silicon tubing from Amazon (dirt cheap) if needed. Can search this site for more info.
    Consider "canisterectomy" if you smell gas a lot (search here, tons of how to's)
    You WILL find oil in the airbox when you change air filter - it is normal. Wipe it out. The tube from engine is short and over time droplets get up into the airbox. Don't freak out.
    Have extra Torx bolts (6mm thread x 20mm length) & washers. You will loose them over time.
    Get some Torx 30 2" bits for you cordless drill / screwdriver to take off tupperware easier.

THis is just what I thought of off the top of my head LOL!!

I have two 2008 GS's - and have replaced every sensor, plugs & wires, brakes, tires, pulleys, vacuum lines, batteries, etc. etc. over time. Keeps me tinkering!
    Steve

Spyder Garage

Search "tires" on this site - you will find TONS of suggestions. Most (like me) run Kenda on the rear (same size). I looked up the front tire size on Amazon and got the cheap Amazon Choice - they are still fine. Some discussion on handling in rain, but I haven't found any real difference (with the way i drive).
    Oil - Motorcycle JASO MA (look in owners manual). Can be full or partial synthetic. I use whatever is on sale locally - HD brand or Castrol for me.
    Gas - some people argue, but owners manual calls out high octane 91. When I am near a gas station that has NON ethanol (marinas, etc.) I get that. Less Ethanol has to be better