Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Bajaron Sway Bar on 2020 RT

Hubby installed Bajaron’s sway bar and Heim links on my 2020 RTL today. It was windy, drizzly weather out here in California, perfect for a test ride on the farm roads. We ride these roads regularly so I could feel the difference immediately. Bajaron’s sway bar definitely has less “dancing” over the pot holes surface, steering is tighter and front end feels more road planted in the twisty turns. Wind was between 15-25 mph with sideway gusts for 15 miles. Rode through the windy conditions in a mix of wide sweeps, hard turns and straightaways, hardly feeling the gusts.

My first farkle and IMHO, well worth it
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the first report on the 2020 Bajaron sway bar, was wondering if there was an improvement. I have to ride mine some more to figure it out. Was it a difficult install?

Spyder Garage

How high do you have to lift the Spyder to install the new bar ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    How high do you have to lift the Spyder to install the new bar ?
    You still have to get 18" to 22" of lift, depending on how you do it. If you leave the rear wheel on the ground it not only helps stabilize the Spyder, But you need less overall lift because the bar comes out at 90 degrees to the frame. So if the frame is at an angle, you don't need as much lift. Also, you can do 95% of the job with the Spyder at a much lower height. You only need the extra lift to take the bar out and put the new bar in. Which is about a 5 minute job. Before and after this step, you don't need the additional lift.

The 2020 RT is, by far, the easiest bar install of any RT year model. This is because the new 2020 RT is much more along the lines of the F3 (which is also the easiest bar install of any year model).
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Thanks for the first report on the 2020 Baharon sway bar, was wondering if there was an improvement. I have to ride mine some more to figure it out. Was it a difficult install?
    My hubby is a long time motorcycle wrench turner, and he said this job was not that difficult and a little easier than when he put it on my ‘14 RT.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

Can I use the bar I bought for my 2014 RT-S on a 2020 RTL?
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Can I use the bar I bought for my 2014 RT-S on a 2020 RTL?
    Yes. Same bar kit. Different install steps (much less work - Less to take off and put back on). But don't tell anyone! It's hard on sales!

You will be impressed!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You still have to get 18" to 22" of lift, depending on how you do it. If you leave the rear wheel on the ground it not only helps stabilize the Spyder, But you need less overall lift because the bar comes out at 90 degrees to the frame. So if the frame is at an angle, you don't need as much lift. Also, you can do 95% of the job with the Spyder at a much lower height. You only need the extra lift to take the bar out and put the new bar in. Which is about a 5 minute job. Before and after this step, you don't need the additional lift.

The 2020 RT is, by far, the easiest bar install of any RT year model. This is because the new 2020 RT is much more along the lines of the F3 (which is also the easiest bar install of any year model).
    BR, do the 2020s have adjustable shock springs? I put your Spring Adjusters on my '15 and they make a big difference. Will your Adjusters work on a '20?
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info on the sway bar.

Do you know if the shocks are also the same?
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Revalden View Post
    BR, do the 2020s have adjustable shock springs? I put your Spring Adjusters on my '15 and they make a big difference. Will your Adjusters work on a '20?
    It appears that the front shocks are basically the same as previous models. The model I looked at had fixed, non-adjustable shocks. It is likely that my shock adjusters will also work with the 2020 RT non-adjustable shocks. I do need to verify that.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-04-2020 at 04:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

I did the install and Ron is correct, it is easier than previous years (I put one on my old 2014 RT and my 2008 GS). I removed the three plastic splash guards underneath, but I really didn't need to, but it does give easier access to the bolts. Otherwise, you just jack it up and switch them out.

I got mine up about 19" in the air and that was about the minimum height required. I had a little trouble getting the new plastic brackets wedged in between the frame rails, but it wasn't crazy hard, just fiddly.

Upon crawling underneath the bike and removing some of the splash guards I got a pretty good look around, and to me it looks like the design is more of an F3 up front grafted onto the RT swingarm. The swingarms are very different, otherwise it looks like an F3 hybrid.

The front shocks being the main reason for taking a good look around.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

So BRP upgraded the 2020 swaybar but kept the plastic links.
    So my question is what resulted in your improvement? If you had only replaced the links would you be seeing the same difference? For me if I change anything I think I would try the links first?
    If you're only changing the links how much ground clearance do you need?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    So BRP upgraded the 2020 swaybar but kept the plastic links.
    So my question is what resulted in your improvement? If you had only replaced the links would you be seeing the same difference? For me if I change anything I think I would try the links first?
    If you're only changing the links how much ground clearance do you need?
    The fact that BRP is using the same plastic link set on their new 'Upgraded' sway bar pretty much says it all. My bar kits break those links. Of course, putting non-stretching/compressing links on any sway bar will improve function. But you'll only get a small percentage of the improvement that you get with a full bar kit upgrade.

Riders that have installed the BajaRon Sway Bar on their 2020 RT report a great deal of improvement. I have not had time to test the 2020 RT Sway Bar against the earlier versions. But the preliminary information from riders Seat-of-the-Pants is that they cannot really tell any difference.

The new 2020 RT has a lower center of gravity and that will help. But I suspect that the sway bar itself is not significantly stiffer than the previous models.

Spyder Garage

Ron,

The BRP rep that I took my test ride with told me that the sway bar was NOT changed. That the suspension layout was changed resulting in improved performance therefore no need to change the sway bar.

I do not know if this info is correct - only passing on what I was told.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Ron,

The BRP rep that I took my test ride with told me that the sway bar was NOT changed. That the suspension layout was changed resulting in improved performance therefore no need to change the sway bar.

I do not know if this info is correct - only passing on what I was told.
    I believe this is correct information, from my observations.

I compared the Ron bar next to the BRP original and the Ron bar is slightly thicker in diameter. I didn't use a caliper, but if I had to take an educated guess I would say less than a millimeter. However, that doesn't factor in the tensile strength of the steel and other spring properties.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information, my sway bar for the 2020 Spyder RT Limited is ordered. I look forward to seeing if there is a difference.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Would lifting the wheels of F3-S to 18" (rear wheel on the floor) be enough to swap the bars?
    I think I can get some ramps with jacks that can lift the wheels up to that height.

Thanks.
    2018 F3S , Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by will View Post
    Thanks for the information, my sway bar for the 2020 Spyder RT Limited is ordered. I look forward to seeing if there is a difference.
    I have 3 customers that have installed my bar kit on their 2020 RT. All 3 have said there is a great deal of improvement. Their feedback is that they do not think the 2020 RT stock sway bar is any different than the bar that came on earlier RT models that they have owned. I am getting one of the BRP 2020 RT bars in and I will test it against the earlier RT bars. If it is any stiffer, it does not appear that there is enough difference to matter.

Spyder Garage

We installed the Baja Ron bar this week on our 2020 RTL. This is our first Spyder, so still adjusting to how it handles and behaves.

We put about 500 miles on the machine before deciding to install the new bar. 1-up was comfortable, but you could feel the "wishy washy" feeling around tight corners at speed. It was very noticeable 2-up.

I did the install myself 2 days ago. It took about an hour, and was very straight forward with Rons excellent instructions. Used an ATV jack to get the machine up about 17" on some 8x8's and 2x6's to remove the covers and undo everything. Then jacked up again with 3 2x10s to get the extra clearance to remove the old bar and insert the new. Overall very straight forward.

Have since put about 100 miles on the new bar. 1-up and can confirm a noticeable difference. Both at low speed and higher speed. Like everyone says, wheels feel more planted and the machine just grips the road through the curves. Will be 2-up this weekend and see how much of a difference we notice there.

IMG_20200310_090616_MP.jpg IMG_20200310_090603_MP.jpg
    2020 RT Limited , ASPHALT GREY METALLIC - DARK EDITION

Spyder Garage

My calibrated ass with the first 150 miles tells me that the 2020 RTL suspension out of the box handles as well as my 2014 did with the RonBar.
    Out of my 150 miles, I have 100 miles single and 50 miles two up. I'm still breaking the engine in, so I'm not riding very aggressively.
    Right now, I'm inclined to leave things alone for another 1000 miles or so to make a more accurate determination.
    I'll definitely upgrade the links.
    The jury is out on upgrading the bar.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CentralCoastCA View Post
    Hubby installed Bajaron’s sway bar and Heim links on my 2020 RTL today. It was windy, drizzly weather out here in California, perfect for a test ride on the farm roads. We ride these roads regularly so I could feel the difference immediately. Bajaron’s sway bar definitely has less “dancing” over the pot holes surface, steering is tighter and front end feels more road planted in the twisty turns. Wind was between 15-25 mph with sideway gusts for 15 miles. Rode through the windy conditions in a mix of wide sweeps, hard turns and straightaways, hardly feeling the gusts.

My first farkle and IMHO, well worth it
    Hi..Did you use the 8 spacers came with the bar? Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by japs View Post
    Hi..Did you use the 8 spacers came with the bar? Thanks.
    If you don't use the spacers installed as instructed. You are going to have issues with the links. They are not optional.

Spyder Garage

If you don't use the spacers installed as instructed. You are going to have issues with the links. They are not optional.

Thanks Ron...installed 4 spacers on each links. Its an awesome upgrade on 20RTLimited and it bites around the corner. Nice job!

Spyder Garage

How can you leave the rear tire on the ground and lift?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    How can you leave the rear tire on the ground and lift?
    Same way you lift just the front (or rear) of your car! Just chock the rear wheel (to be sure, to be sure!) then put your jack under the most forward bit of frame at the front end; then lift! Front goes up; rear wheel stays on the ground!

When you get it high enough (which might take a bit of supporting in position, releasing & packing under the jack to raise it, & then re-jacking to get it all high enough for the sway bar job!) just make sure you put solid stands of some sort in there to support the weight so it's not all just sitting on the jack. Why not?! Just cos you don't want to be underneath the Spyder if the jack starts giving way!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!