Spyder Garage

Default Should I worry about Spyder Battery discharge when using USB to charge phone?

I want to mount a USB charger in one of the empty slots on my 2019 RT for charging my phone. Where is the best/easiest place to get power from. Do not want to get directly from battery as don't want to worry about battery drain if I forget to disconnect phone when I turn bike off. I have a 2 port USB that fits in the empty slot already.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get an extension cable and route it up to the top of the dash thru the middle windshield mount, and get power from the USB in the front truck. Then you can have power AND a data connection to the dash for music and GPS.

If, for some reason, you need a phone on the handlebars check Youtube for videos on how to install a USB outlet.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jklundry View Post
    I want to mount a USB charger in one of the empty slots on my 2019 RT for charging my phone. Where is the best/easiest place to get power from. Do not want to get directly from battery as don't want to worry about battery drain if I forget to disconnect phone when I turn bike off. I have a 2 port USB that fits in the empty slot already.
    Go to canamspydersaccessories.com and watch Pierre's how-to video regarding installation of a USB charger in the center of the rocker switch panel. Very detailed and easy to follow switched power wiring.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I watched Pierre however that video was for 2017 spyder and earlier. 2018 and 2019 dash and wiring is different and need to find another power source.

Spyder Garage

I'm took the easy way out. I bought an emergency cellphone charger battery that can charge my iphone up to three times. I put it in the small Hopnel tank bag I have that fits over the glove box. My iphone is on a center-mount X-grip. If my phone starts running low, I just run the charging cord a short distance from the battery in the tank bag to the bottom of the phone. I have taken all day rides using the Google Maps/Driving Directions function a lot...and haven't come close to running out of iphone battery power. After the ride, I just plug the emergency charger battery it into a wall socket and it takes about 1.5 hrs to charge. Just an idea.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use a fuse block to power any accessories. I routed wires to the dash and power the USB from that. The fuse block is under the left black cover under the frunk lid. (opposite the coolant cover).

It requires removing the mirrors, side panels and 4 bolts that the glove box is mounted with. Then you can pull the glove box away and get at the underside to install the USB and route wires.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red