Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Coronavirus contd. - some perspective

I just googled - FLU , in the USA since 2010 the avg. number of deaths per year was between 15 and 80,000 …. in 2019 it was 80,000 DEATHS ….. so to me the Coronavirus has a long way to go to even come remotely close to the danger of getting the FLU …… and in my earlier thread about this subject, I stated what my amount of supplies were …. what I didn't say was - I hadn't stockpiled any of it, this was what I found in my Freezer and cupboard. To me it was just the normal amount of provisions I always have. ….. and I live alone. So no need to panic , just keep in mind if you have little or nothing in the way of supplies, you might want to give it some thought ….. wishing everyone all the best and try and stay healthy ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

But that would be true Mike just as an ordinary everyday precaution. One never knows when something could cause you to have to depend on what you have on hand for a few days/weeks. The hysteria over this virus is getting way out of hand. Use common sense and wash your hands a lot.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I going to take anything from the media with a grain of salt. Too much power there by a certain few to influence what we think and take as “fact”, after all if it’s on tv or the internet it’s got to be true.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Read an interesting article about your "personal space" and how you should keep people back. Transmission of mist while talking , coughing, sneezing etc.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

the only thing about covid19 is it currently has a higher death rate, mostly on the elderly ~ 2% where as the flu has 0.1%. Stupidity kills more then both combined. Just ride with a helmet on & have fun.

Spyder Garage

An overall perspective is good Mike. My perspective, from the news reports and articles I have read. The death rate is about 2%. My guess it is a little lower than that. Maybe as low as 1%. The count of those that have died is likely fairly accurate. But the count of those that have/had the disease is likely low. That is still a lot higher than influenza. 80% will have no to mild symtoms. The big concern is the 20% that are left. How much care will they need? For how long? What pace will the disease spread? Those factors will determine the load on the healthcare system.

A few back of the envelope calculations. Note a lot of assumptions on my part.
    At 50% infection rate and a death rate of 1%. That would make the number of deaths in the US of about 1.6 million. Worldwide that would be about 39 million. Compared to the flu to about 450 thousand, worldwide, a year. Compared to the 1918 FLU. For a long time it was thought to be about 50 million. But it was looked at in recent years and the estimate revised to be about 100 million.

Bottom line is 99% of us are going to survive.
    Last edited by billybovine; 03-02-2020 at 10:20 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

One caveat to that we're all OK thing. Every health reporting agency is spewing the litany of it killing the old and infirm, especially those with underlying conditions. Care to venture a guess about how many of us fit that demographic that are on this site? I am one of those warned, and personally my death would disappoint me greatly by messing up my riding season!

As an aside, it's funny that one of the first people to die was the medical person that blew the whistle on the whole mess, and he was 34 years old, without any visible infirmities. I just wonder how valid a lot of this stuff is? We will know beyond any doubt in about 3 to 6 months one way or the other.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

One thing the CV panic has accomplished is to hurt the stock market. For the last week, I have lost a thousand dollars a day from my 401K. This morning, they say the market is on the rise again. Hope they are right.

I follow the end of day closing numbers on my 401K.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Remember the Swine Flu, back in 2009? It is an interesting study to compare these 2 events and the differences in response. (Flu is a Virus so they are comparable at least in this aspect)

Swine Flu discovered and identified as a probable Pandemic, April 2009.
    Corona Virus discovered and identified as a probable Pandemic, January 7th, 2020

Public Health Emergency declared and travel restrictions implemented for Swine Flu, October 2009. (6 month lag)
    Public Health Emergency declared and travel restrictions implemented for Corona Virus, January 31, 2020 (24 day lag)

Conditions (United States Only) when Emergency actions were Implemented - Swine Flu
    Several Million Infections
    More than 20,000 had been hospitalized
    More than 1,000 confirmed deaths

Conditions (United States Only) when Emergency actions were implemented - Corona Virus
    Number of infections - 7
    Number hospitalized (have not been able to find this number. But maximum would have been 7)
    Number of deaths - 0

It appears that the response to this pandemic has been much more aggressive than the response to the Swine Flu pandemic. I, for one, am glad to see it. Hopefully, the results will equal the effort.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-02-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    One thing the CV panic has accomplished is to hurt the stock market. For the last week, I have lost a thousand dollars a day from my 401K. This morning, they say the market is on the rise again. Hope they are right.

The Dow is up 3% at 12:40 PM. Could be just a dead cat bounce. Too soon to tell. Need to wait a couple days. The market was overvalued and needed to correct anyway. It just needed an excuse to do it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Sit tight grasshopper. I have been afraid to look. It will rise once again. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Yep the market ( so far ) is making a come-back ( and I was pretty sure it would ) ….. the only effect of stock market losses is ….IF YOU HAD TO SELL …… I didn't ( thank God) so it was only mildly interesting …… good luck … Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Sit tight grasshopper. I have been afraid to look. It will rise once again. Tom
    " don't bother looking " …. it should rise after all the hoopla is over …...Mike

Spyder Garage

looks like about 6 deaths so far
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    looks like about 6 deaths so far
    This is the chart I have been following. This one is managed by John Hopkins University. Seems to be living up to the reputation of this institution for honest and accuracy.
    https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

It is updated live 24 hours a day. You can see when it was last updated and has been as current and accurate as anything I've looked at. Very interactive. You can click on each location/nation listed on the left and get specific numbers. And it gives a good, overall tracking of Cases/Recovered/Deaths on the right. Things have been accelerating in the US if you go with percentages. But numbers are still low.

I agree with billybovine on the stock market angle. It needed an adjustment and now it's found an anchor to throw overboard. But there isn't, yet, any real reason for the current drop in stock prices. And if the Corona Virus turns out to be anything less than the doom and gloom hype it's been getting. I'd say your stock prices will go through the roof. If you don't need that money in the next several months. I think you'll do just fine.

You only lock in your losses when you sell....

Of course, my opinion is probably not worth what it is costing you!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-02-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Great website! Thanks!
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

Spyder Garage

Can't hurt to prepare for the worst with the virus.If it doesn't get you (and plenty are saying it's inevitable everyone will contract it at some point) the supply chain disruption will.
    Picture a shutdown of business big enough to tip the over leveraged financial system into the toilet and lockup of the banking system.How do you pay for anything with no card ?
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

After looking at the statistics sounds like the Caribbean is the place to go LOL!!!!

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just remember, if you take enough letters out of pandemic, you get panic!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Can't hurt to prepare for the worst with the virus.If it doesn't get you (and plenty are saying it's inevitable everyone will contract it at some point) the supply chain disruption will.
    Picture a shutdown of business big enough to tip the over leveraged financial system into the toilet and lockup of the banking system.How do you pay for anything with no card ?
    You should start an academy for motivational visionaries!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You should start an academy for motivational visionaries!
    Great idea Ron, sign up here, classes starting soon:-

Sheeple Academy
    Mainstream Avenue
    Derivativesville 2020

Only requirments are……
    Ability to separate from flock
    Basic grip of off button on television
    Willingness to repay 240 trillion dollars before borrowing again

Course completion provides a solid grounding in how you can't buy your way out of debt and an insight into how a virus can take the blame away from the banksters.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Back to OP topic please!
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light

Spyder Garage

Tick...tick...tick...

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

BajaRon, I found your recommended web site to be very informative. Real-time data that appears to be accurate. I bookmarked it. Will be interesting to follow the numbers of new cases and recoveries over the next few weeks..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

BlueKnight has also requested this thread be closed because of the hijacks.

Site rule #7 applies, IMO.

The moderators are NOT here to censor, but to enforce the site rules.

2020 F3L , Magma Red