Spyder Garage

Default Can't Open Glove Box

Took my 2012 RT-SE5 to the dealer for tires, oil change, regular annual service, etc. They said the cables to my frunk and seat release should be replaced, but I said no thanks. I open the frunk with the optional dash switch, and I have a wire rigged to open the seat release. Both work just fine.

But...when I got home from the dealer (a 50 mile trip each way), I tried to open the glove box. It wouldn't open. I pushed it, as always...but nothing. I pushed it several more times, and it used to pop right open for me, but now it will not open. Tried with the key on, off, wheels locked and unlocked...still will not open! It feels like a latch is locked, and it never locked before. Is there a way I can get the glove box open without having the dealer replace some expensive cable? It used to pop open with a gentle push, and I want to get back to that, but don't know how to open it. :-) Any suggestions and work-arounds will be appreciated!

Spyder Garage

When you push down on the glove box lid do you feel it give a bit? Mine has gotten a bit balky a couple of times in 65K but it would always pop open after a couple of pushes. A short spritz of WD40 has freed it up both times like once every 18K. The latch is spring loaded mechanism. The BRP fiche 09 - Body and Accessories Console lists s PN 705003425 saying Not Available. Cheap Cycle Parts shows the PN has changed from the above to 705006886, $46.99.

Try raising the seat and blowing a hair dryer on the glove box to see if it gives any; it may pop loose; then you can lubricate the latch.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    When you push down on the glove box lid do you feel it give a bit? Mine has gotten a bit balky a couple of times in 65K but it would always pop open after a couple of pushes. A short spritz of WD40 has freed it up both times like once every 18K. The latch is spring loaded mechanism. The BRP fiche 09 - Body and Accessories Console lists s PN 705003425 saying Not Available. Cheap Cycle Parts shows the PN has changed from the above to 705006886, $46.99.

Try raising the seat and blowing a hair dryer on the glove box to see if it gives any; it may pop loose; then you can lubricate the latch.
    I've had the area around the glove exposed and I never saw any type of cable for the glove box ….. be very careful even with a hair dryer, that door is thin and could WARP ….. then it might be completely ruined …. good luck …. Mike ...……… PS instead of WD 40 ….get some SPAY silicone .Correction, apparently there is a cable, as reported by Capt. jam & IMS ...... thanks .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-02-2020 at 01:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

There is a cable. It causes the glove box to lock when the bars are locked. It is possible that cable has come loose. Remove Tupperware, depress the latch, see what is the problem. Remove both speaker covers, shine a light in, toward the ignition switch. See if that end popped off. Or, broke. Pretty simple job.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    There is a cable. It causes the glove box to lock when the bars are locked. It is possible that cable has come loose. Remove Tupperware, depress the latch, see what is the problem. Remove both speaker covers, shine a light in, toward the ignition switch. See if that end popped off. Or, broke. Pretty simple job.
    From having my RT apart I believe the cable is pulled to lock the lid. I suspect something has the cable pulled tight.

solidgranite, if you remove the upper tupperware on the left side you can see the cable that locks the glovebox. That may show you what the problem is.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I don't have a hair dryer, but I'll try spraying some WD-40 on the latch. It may help! If it doesn't, I may have another possible cause for the problem. When I attached a wire to the seat latch (because the key switch option did not work), it prevented that cable from sliding back and forth. So that cable may be jamming the glove box latch... I'll undo my "fix" and see if the glove box opens. If it does, I'll find another way to "jerry rig" the seat latch that doesn't interfere with the cable. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

The only Tupperware I've ever removed is the panel over the oil filler (left front). :-) I'll have to look up how to remove the other stuff you mentioned. If its too complicated, and if I can't get it done, I may just live without the use of the glove box. LOL Thanks for the suggestions!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    Took my 2012 RT-SE5 to the dealer for tires, oil change, regular annual service, etc. They said the cables to my frunk and seat release should be replaced, but I said no thanks. I open the frunk with the optional dash switch, and I have a wire rigged to open the seat release. Both work just fine.

But...when I got home from the dealer (a 50 mile trip each way), I tried to open the glove box. It wouldn't open. I pushed it, as always...but nothing. I pushed it several more times, and it used to pop right open for me, but now it will not open. Tried with the key on, off, wheels locked and unlocked...still will not open! It feels like a latch is locked, and it never locked before. Is there a way I can get the glove box open without having the dealer replace some expensive cable? It used to pop open with a gentle push, and I want to get back to that, but don't know how to open it. :-) Any suggestions and work-arounds will be appreciated!
    Solidgranite, curious if your dealer told you WHY the cables needed to be replaced. Or...…….does anyone else know of this situation?
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Solidgranite, curious if your dealer told you WHY the cables needed to be replaced. Or...…….does anyone else know of this situation?
    I had one replaced because the nubbin on the ignition end broke.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

The dealer said the cables had "rusted" over the years, and needed to be replaced...for $300. I declined. The frunk switch works fine, and my home-made solution to release the seat works fine also. Because I don't have a garage, the Spyder is outdoors all year. Our winters are mild, sometimes with no snow at all, and the rain doesn't seem to bother the bike at all. :-)

Spyder Garage

If I can get some schematics and see where the cable is routed, I may be able to free it up with a little gentle prying and such. Locking and unlocking the wheels has no effect on the glove box, even though it should open when the wheels are unlocked. Now to locate that pesky cable without taking Tupperware off...LOL

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If I can get some schematics and see where the cable is routed, I may be able to free it up with a little gentle prying and such. Locking and unlocking the wheels has no effect on the glove box, even though it should open when the wheels are unlocked. Now to locate that pesky cable without taking Tupperware off...LOL
    Cheapcycleparts might have a Fiche' ….. if you can figure out which one ….is the right one …. good luck …. Mike …BINGO - FOUND IT .....look at2012 RT SE5 ..." body and accessories CONSOLE " click into the area upper right .... look at parts # 88 - 87 - 86 - 85 & 79 , I think it may be #79 on the left side of the glove box. good luck .... Mike … I just happened to have my Upper piece of Tupperware off ( by the glove box ) … you can see one end of the cable attached to the bottom of the latch … maybe the cable is off ???? again good luck ….. from further examination ,the cable is what the handlebar turning will cause it to LOCK …. Not un-lock …. which leads me to believe spraying the latch with Silicone may solve the issue …..M
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-03-2020 at 06:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

If you go to this web site, https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/shop/...ts-iframe.html, and drill down to your year and model, (your avatar looks like it's a 2012 RT Ltd) and check out 09 - body and accessories console. Look for item #88 in the upper right corner of the fiche and you'll see how it curves around. Follow Joe Meyer's instructions. The only difficult part of removing the Tupperware is the mirrors but there are Youtube videos on how to do it and you won't be able to see the latch without removing the L side panel and L top side panel.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

So my glove box on my 2010, opens and closes without any cables I know of to lock the darn thing. No longer hooked up to the key push down procedure like the front trunk. I can not lock it. But don't keep anything hardly of value. Just store my garage remote and quarters for meters. Can't remember if it was changed when I had the Corbin seat put on. Believe the seat was connected to the locking mechanism, but can't remember, so long ago. When I close the glove lid I do here a spring hooking sound connection. If that makes sense

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    So my glove box on my 2010, opens and closes without any cables I know of to lock the darn thing. No longer hooked up to the key push down procedure like the front trunk. I can not lock it.
    It locks by turning the handlebar all the way to right or left and turning the ignition to the lock position.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Now to locate that pesky cable without taking Tupperware off...LOL
    You won't!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I will definitely take a look! Thanks! If I can see the cable, I can wiggle it with long nose pliers, and maybe get the glove box to pop opem. Then I'll spray the latch with silicone, and see about straightening out the cable. Again...thanks!

Spyder Garage

RESOLVED! I removed the left Tupperware, and saw the offending cable. I jiggled it around with my fingers, and the glove box now pops open with a gentle touch (like it should). I sprayed the latch with WD40. Then opened and closed the glove box a number of times to make sure it was really working right. I put the Tupperware back on, and tried the glove box several more times, and viola! Its back to normal!

My thanks to everyone for their great ideas and input! The members of this site are the greatest asset a Spyder rider can have!