Spyder Garage

Default WWII books and videos-what to do?

I have a collection of books and videos from my Dad's estate. I tried Craigslist and was not successful. It's not that i was asking anything close to value, I just wanted someone who would enjoy the history. You will notice an aircraft theme throughout. My Dad was in New Guinea.
    So, what do i do with this collection? Ebay will cost more to ship than i will get for them. It would make a great Spyder road trip to come and get them, but they will exceed the GVWR of your Spyder. What do i do?
    The libraries don't want them. The Bong Museum in Superior doesn't want them.
    I posted here in OTB because it really isn't a FSBO Spyder related.
    Anyone have any ideas?

IMG_3099_1024.jpg

IMG_3102_1024.jpg

thank you
    ba
    2019 F3-T Liquid Titanium

“we are all products of those to whom we have chosen to listen”
    2019 F3T , titanium

Spyder Garage

I sure hope you find a good home for this. It would be a shame to see all that history go to waste. Most all of us owe our very existence, one way or another, to the "Greatest Generation"...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arachnyd View Post
    I have a collection of books and videos from my Dad's estate. I tried Craigslist and was not successful. It's not that i was asking anything close to value, I just wanted someone who would enjoy the history. You will notice an aircraft theme throughout. My Dad was in New Guinea.
    So, what do i do with this collection? Ebay will cost more to ship than i will get for them. It would make a great Spyder road trip to come and get them, but they will exceed the GVWR of your Spyder. What do i do?
    Anyone have any ideas?

IMG_3099_1024.jpg

IMG_3102_1024.jpg

thank you
    ba
    Good luck they are worth having …. PS, the USPS does have a more attractive " Book rate " for shipping them …or at least they used to … Mike

Spyder Garage

Contact the Military Museum at Camp Ripley they may be interested. 320-632-7000.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

I'm going to have breakfast with a friend of mine Sunday morning. He has an extensive private collection of weapons and equipment from the Revolutionary War to present day. I'll show him the pictures. I have a feeling he with snatch them up.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Check with your local V.F.W. post.

Spyder Garage

Donate them to Goodwill; they have book sales. I did that last fall with a bunch of books the library wouldn't take because copyright was more than 10 years old.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I sure hope you find a good home for this. It would be a shame to see all that history go to waste. Most all of us owe our very existence, one way or another, to the "Greatest Generation"...... Jim

Unfortunately, people in this nation don’t care about history anymore. Shame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arachnyd View Post
    Anyone have any ideas?

IMG_3099_1024.jpg

IMG_3102_1024.jpg

thank you
    ba
    You are okay posting here. PS. the suggestion below to try Fort Ripley is also good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

On Facebook, there's a group called WWII PICTURES. Try posting the collection there. Everyone there is a WWII buff.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I'm going to have breakfast with a friend of mine Sunday morning. He has an extensive private collection of weapons and equipment from the Revolutionary War to present day. I'll show him the pictures. I have a feeling he with snatch them up.
    I checked with my friend. He didn't want them either. Sorry.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I would enjoy them, but I would probably never take the time to watch.

However, you mentioned the "Bong Museum in Superior." That hit a sentimental spot.

Richard "Dick" Bong was the first Pacific Theater Ace, if I remember correctly. Why I know about him is because his photo and posters were all over Lockheed's 'Skunk Works' main engineering building in Burbank. He earned that ACE in a P-38 - 'The Forked Tail Devil,' as the enemy called it. He was a Lockheed hero, along with being a U.S. hero.

After he made Ace, the Army Air Corp brought him back to the U.S. They did not want him killed in action.

He was assigned to perform at air shows, etc., to help raise money through 'War Bonds,' I think. Unfortunately, he was killed in an aircraft accident. Here are the facts:

Richard I. Bong

The first of nine children, born in 1920 to a Swedish immigrant father and American-born mother, Dick Bong’s upbringing epitomized the values and expectations of that era – loyalty to his family and a deep sense of patriotism. Like all farm children, he had chores to perform and was expected to drive farm machinery at an early age. He hunted and fished in the surrounding woods and streams, played on his school athletic teams and sang in his church choir; as his 4H project he planted the extensive evergreen windbreak on the family farm, still in the family. At that time he modeled the ideal all-American boy.

Dick became enamored of flying as a small boy, watching planes fly over the farm carrying mail for President Calvin Coolidge’s summer White House in Superior. As a college student he learned to fly in the Civilian Pilot Training program; at the age of 20 he became a flying cadet in the US Army Air Corps, in time for the entry of America into World War II. Dick became America’s all-time Ace of Aces, downing 40 enemy planes in the Pacific theater of the war while flying P-38 fighter planes. His many decorations for outstanding skills and extraordinary courage included the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Dick was ordered home for his safety and married his sweetheart, Marge, in Superior. Six months later he was killed test piloting the first Lockheed jet fighter plane. His death at the age of 24 occured the same day that the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, yet he received banner headlines in the national newspapers.

Thousands attended Dick’s funeral services in Superior, and many more lined the funeral route to the Poplar cemetery, where he was buried in the family plot. In 1955, ten years after his death, a memorial was dedicated to Dick Bong in his hometown of Poplar, Wisconsin.

Ace of Aces

In 1944 Dick Bong was awarded the nation’s highest honor by General Douglas MacArthur, Commander of all U.S. Army units in the Far East, who said: “Major Richard Ira Bong, who has ruled the air from New Guinea to the Philippines, I now induct you into the society of the bravest of brave, the wearers of the Congressional Medal of Honor of the United States.”

Dick Bong, a hero in an era of heroes, represents a generation of young men and women who willingly left their farms, villages, and cities to defend their country’s freedom. They carried out the work that had to be done – and did it well.

Bong was the first fighter pilot handpicked by General George C. Kenney in the fall of 1942 for a P-38 squadron designed to strengthen his Fifth Air Force in Australia and New Guinea. Dick Bong loved flying and the P-38 was the ideal fighting plane for the combat techniques he mastered: swooping down on his targets and blasting them at dangerously close range, then pulling up fast. His own aircraft was damaged in battle in several of his missions, once so badly he had to crash-land.

General Kenney pulled Dick Bong out of combat when his score reached 40 and sent him home to “marry Marjorie and start thinking about raising a lot of towheaded Swedes.” Dick and Marge Vattendahl were married February 10, 1945 in Superior, an event attended by 1,200 guests and covered by the international press.

The couple honeymooned in California for several weeks before reporting to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio, where Dick began training for a new assignment in Burbank, California: testing the plane that would take the Air Force into the jet age – the Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star.

Dick Bong was intrigued by the new jet fighter and enthusiastic about his assignment. On August 6, 1945 (the day the Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima) Dick Bong was killed when the P-80 he was testing stalled and crashed on take-off.

Thanks for the memories - - - -

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gldwnger View Post
    Check with your local V.F.W. post.
    Also the American Legion , soldiers home ,VA hospitals

Spyder Garage

Local library?

Spyder Garage

Any luck on the FB group "WWII PICTURES?"
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

It is frustrating, I have some rare books, limited edition stuff including a numbered court transcript of the trial from the The Battle of Little Big Horn from my parents estate. Unfortunately no one collects books any more and the younger generation other than in class doesn't consume info like that and most things can be found on Youtube. Rare book dealer in town tried to sell it for 3 years. Not one bite.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 03-02-2020 at 06:27 PM.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cattleshow View Post
    Also the American Legion , soldiers home ,VA hospitals
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    I would enjoy them, but I would probably never take the time to watch.

However, you mentioned the "Bong Museum in Superior." That hit a sentimental spot.

Richard "Dick" Bong was the first Pacific Theater Ace, if I remember correctly. Why I know about him is because his photo and posters were all over Lockheed's 'Skunk Works' main engineering building in Burbank. He earned that ACE in a P-38 - 'The Forked Tail Devil,' as the enemy called it. He was a Lockheed hero, along with being a U.S. hero.

Thanks for the memories - - - -

Joe T.
    Thank you Joe. I enjoyed reading that.

In our "projects" room hangs this

IMG_1837_Fotor.jpg

Back in the '60s my Dad built this at work during his lunch hours. It also hangs in my house.

IMG_1856_Fotor.jpg

This is my Dad before "Marge" found a permanent home in Superior.
    Somewhere i have the same picture of him with Marjorie Drucker but i could not find it.

IMG_1857_Fotor.jpg

thank you
    ba

2019 F3T , titanium

Spyder Garage

Not saying they will want them, but consider contacting your local EAA chapter. Many times the members of these Experimental Aircraft Association chapters are retirees, and with that share a passion for all things aviation.

Spyder Garage

Arachnyd, your dad was very creative and a craftsman.

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Not saying they will want them, but consider contacting your local EAA chapter. Many times the members of these Experimental Aircraft Association chapters are retirees, and with that share a passion for all things aviation.
    Good thought! The EAA has a very strong Warbirds contingent. They just might be able to find your historical information a good home.

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Confederate Airforce?
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

after some donation attempts, i ended up taking them to Half Price Books.

Someone will enjoy them. There is a WWII section, they will be organized and displayed for someone who is looking for them.

thanks again for your suggestions.

ba

2019 F3T , titanium

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

List them on eBay for bid plus shipping. List your zipcode and the weight and suggest interested viewers check what the charge would be for media mail. That is about the cheapest way to ship there is. Anything printed or recorded can be shipped as media as long as there is no personally directed enclosures in the package, other than maybe an invoice. USPS price calculator is here. https://postcalc.usps.com/.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)