Spyder Garage

Default SE5 shifting problem - new flavor

I apologize in advance to the veterans of the forum if this identical issue was posted before. I made a search and looked hard for old threads before posting and could not find the same issue. I never had shifting problem in my SE5 but yesterday, after a scary hard stop from 5th gear (a SVU decided I was not big enough to deserve my right of way) I was only able to downshift to 2nd before the full stop, then, at full stop, the spyder got stuck in second, I rode like that to the side of the road turned it off, waited 2-3 min and restarted, it was back in neutral and worked fine after that. At home, I checked the fuses and they were fine and tight.

I am due for the 600 miles service and recall. My question: is it wise for me to ask for a GPS replacement or I may just open a can of worms since the issue was so unique?

I thank you for any wisdom you are willing to share.

J
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Spyder Garage

Did you manage to force downshift using the padle or did you let it down shift automatically? Not sure if any of that makes a differance however, I am thinking if you had to make an emercency HARD BRAKING possilbe the system didn't have time to register... Thats a good one I'm sure someone will charm in and give you some better advice then what I have to offer.
    Joe

Spyder Garage

Have you had the ground wire update on the coil pack?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Have you had the ground wire update on the coil pack?
    No, I did find that thread but my Spyder was bought in June (it was actually in a crate in June 23rd). So I assumed (yes, I thinking the same thing) that it was an older issue already adressed in new spyders. Do you think is that?

PS: sorry for posting in the general forum, I was 50/50 about where it belonged

PS2 (for xpeschon): I used the paddle but could not get to 1st on time
    Last edited by 3wheeldemon; 07-29-2009 at 09:18 AM.
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack

Spyder Garage

You can pop the left cover off and check real quick.

Spyder Garage

I had the same problem just after my 600 mile check-up and service. I had to turn off the bike and restart to reset it. I was told at the time it was not broken-in yet and to paddle shift down for a while. I didn't buy all that, but after I had the ground wire fix, I have had no more such problems.

Stan
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I will look tonight when II go back home. I will also read that thread again fo figure out what I am looking for!

I know is good to be methodic, but can't figure out how that ground wire problem will only manifest after that specific hard braking event.
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack

Spyder Garage

Sorry Lamont, but i must missed something. This ground wire to coil is "must be" or ???
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My SE5 stuck in 3rd at 1500 miles. I did the coil wires grounding and it has not happened since, and I'm just past 3000 miles. Its so easy to do, I'd call it a "must".
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Yours sounds like a quirk that has been reported before. If stopped real fast the Spyder's auto downshift (or the Ryder) cannot keep up, and will hang in an upper gear. My understanding from previous posts was that stepping on the brake hard and manually upshifting would cause it to resume the normal sequence, but I could have that wrong. Could some of the SE5 owners that have experienced this set us straight on the simpest way to get it back in the correct gear without moving or shutting it off?
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by igor View Post
    Sorry Lamont, but i must missed something. This ground wire to coil is "must be" or ???
    I checked with my "new" dealership (my other one went out of business) today concerning getting the steering recall done on my SM5 and my wife's SE5. After checking the VIN's, they told me my wife's SE5 has two recalls pending, one for the steering fix and one for the ground wires! They have to order the parts for the ground wires so I will wait for them to call and get everything done at once. Hopefully next week.

Spyder Garage

Default Down shifting SE 5

I had a similar problem but I believe that I left some juice on the throttle and caused a higher RPM. I watch it now and make sure that I'm not accidently giving it gas as its down shifting to a stop. Anyway, its been fine since I began paying attention to it.

Spyder Garage

I have had the SE5 tranny upgrade & the coil ground but when I went to an emergency stop, it stalled. Dealer & BRP were surprised until I had the dealer take the bike out and simulate the condition, it stalled. I'm now waiting for a new transmission whioch is on backorder. These SE5's have more of a problem than BRP is publicly acknowledging.

Spyder Garage

Angry Installed ground wire, but not without a sweat...

Lamonster:

Today I decided to install the ground wire to get rid of the shifting issue which is starting to act up on me. Reverse gets stuck once in a while, then an 'E' shows up in the dispaly, and my new SE5 has less than 200 miles under its belly... No dealership in this country, so I am on my own.

Loosening the radiator-side bolt was easy, but the coil one was way too problematic, to say the least. Extremely hard to loosen, even with the right tools.

After changing sockets, swivels, and other paraphernalia, I applied more loosening force and heard something pop. The back nut snapped / broke out of its hold / tack-weld point and turned around loose.

Not much space in the back to hold a retaining tool, so I had to remove the black side panel with the Can-Am lettering to be able to slide down my hand and a nut-holding tool.

Finally completed the chore, but not without sweating it out when tightening the coil-side bolt while holding the back nut with a tool... Its August In Maracaibo, Venezuela, and temps are around 110 F in the shade...

Will ride it tonight or tomorrow to see if there is any change for the better.

Saludos, Pilo

P.S.: Still have not got rid of the gas smell. Will reroute the evap can breather soon. Fuel consumption is way high. A hose might be leaking but could not detect it yet.
    "Limitations only exist in the mind..."