Spyder Garage

Default Stuck in gear...again

Last fall, suddenly my 2013 ST LTD got stuck in 5th gear. Couldn't get into neutral or any other gear. Limped home in 5th but where there was a incline of any kind it was get off and push. Finally got it to the dealer in Spokane (250 miles away-closest dealer) and he claimed to have fixed it. 'A linkage', he said had come loose. Got it back and parked it for the winter. Pulled it out today, 2/28, and rode 100 miles when it got stuck in 4th gear. Either he was a terrible mechanic or it is a design flaw. I have 31000 trouble free miles on the '13 but now this issue. I do not have a shop manual and don't want one but am willing to try to solve this on my own. Any ideas and where under the plastic am I likely to find this "linkage" issue>?

Spyder Garage

You will find the sifter on the left side down low. It sounds to me like your sifter arm has the splines striped out. Since your Spyder is a limited I am assuming it is an SE5 is that right? If so you will need to remove left side plastic. You will see the shifter arm down low on the left side. Remove the 10mm screw from the arm and look at the splines. If they are worn order a new one, they are pretty cheap. Also go to the hardware store and get a longer screw and a nylock nut. That way after you tighten down the bolt on the new arm you can put on the nut to keep the bolt from coming loose and your arm moving on the shift shaft. This is not hard to fix but once the arm starts moving around it doesn't take long to strip the splines. The arm is very soft so that it will wear not the shaft going into the engine. This is what happened to my 2012 RT Limited SE5. OH BTW there is an index mark on the arm and on the shaft. It will be obvious what it is. Just line them up.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 03-03-2020 at 08:06 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Sorry for the poor picture.

If you have not already, look down at your left foot rest and there should be a curved cutout on the black trim piece. You can see the shift linkage and be able to reach up from underneath and see if it is loose or has come off completely, as mine once did.

IMG_5334.jpg
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

I am anxious now to run to the storage unit where I keep the Spyder and visually inspect the shifter linkage. If a simple new nut on a longer bolt is an answer, woo-hoo. If on the other hand, the mechanic simply didn't fix it permanently, then back to the shop it goes and with a little pressure to do the correct work this time for no charge.

Thanks for locating it for me. The picture is very helpful.

I'll repost with the final answer, once it's repaired.

Spyder Garage

This happened to me last summer. Just picked it up from an oil change. Pulled in for fuel 1/2 hour from the dealership and bike would't shift. Had a truck n trailer pick us up and back to dealership. Mechanic found this. 2015 ST L. Can't remember how many kms I had on it then. Not a hell of a lot. I'm thinking this might happen again now after reading your posts.
    20190727_175424.jpg
    Pam

2020 F3 T

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.
    Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.
    Dr. Seuss

2020 F3 T - Liquid Titanium

Previously owned
    - 2015 ST L
    - 1997 Suzuki Marauder VZ 800
    2015 ST L , Denim - matte

Spyder Garage

The reason I went to the longer bolt with a nylok nut is that I had replaced the shifter arm because the splines were worn out from being loose for a while and I didn't want that to happen to me again. If I were you, as this is the second time around, I would replace the shifter arm along with the longer bolt and nut.

Edit: The arm is much softer than the shaft so that the arm will wear out and be replaced (cheap) instead of the shaft (very expensive)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Super picture. I'm not a "wrencher" anymore but your Pic puts me on track to go take a look. Can't be that bad.

Spyder Garage

Looks like frigging pot metal. Quick fix on the road is jam some foil around it and tighten the f out it. Probably get you home!

Spyder Garage

Turns out the first mechanic didn't know what he was doing. The mechanic at the next dealer (Spokane has two Spyder dealers within 25 miles of each other) said the splines were still factory spec and he merely put it back with the bolt sitting in a groove.

NOw I worry about reliability. Wonder if the Yamaha Niken might be a reasonable alternative.

Spyder Garage

Have a look at Tilting Motor works as well. Or the Endeavour Trike.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Neither one appeals to me as the initial cost of buying a motorcycle and then adding another $10K or so to convert it, just doesn't float my boat, especially that it will end up being a motorcycle designed to be a motorcycle and then converted to something else. I like the Spyder because it was designed from the ground up to be a 2 wheel forward machine. It would be great if the dealer network here in Montana hadn't collapsed down to just one Spyder dealer in Billings. Owning a Spyder in Montana requires one to own a trailer because the closest dealer is 250 miles away.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah that bolt when put in correctly will prevent it from walking out of the spline shaft. Also that bolt has to be tight. A bit of blue Loctite on the thread of the bolt will help from loosening up.
    Had that all the time happen on the Harley.

Spyder Garage

This happened to me AGAIN! July 28 / 2019 and May 2 / 2020. 2015 ST L with under 21,000 kms on it.
    The first time the cable fell off they just reattached it I guess.
    My first ride for this season and I was 11.5 kms from home.
    Thankfully both times i was rescued by someone with trucks and trailers.
    Bike is still at the dealership and I want it fixed right this time.
    Hopefully today I'll hear from them on what they will do.
    Makes me nervous about going on a long rise by myself now.
    Pam

2020 F3 T

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.
    Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.
    Dr. Seuss

2020 F3 T - Liquid Titanium

Previously owned
    - 2015 ST L
    - 1997 Suzuki Marauder VZ 800
    2015 ST L , Denim - matte

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

"I have 31000 trouble free miles on the '13 but now this issue."

"NOw I worry about reliability. Wonder if the Yamaha Niken might be a reasonable alternative."

What am I missing? 31000 trouble free miles is what you posted. One bolt comes lose and you cant shift, so now you are worried about reliability and wanting something else?
    Sounds pretty reliable to me.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Niken Suggestion

I have seen some good reviews on line but they are not a Spyder on the design area. They handle like any 2 wheel motorcycle and fall down on the ground if the kick stand is not deployed. Look on You Tube for reviews and see what I am talking about. Their price is arounf $18 to $19K which the reviewers think is a little high for the type of motorcycle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLsKnCd3Dkg
    Another video with better audio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phXUgWJTW2M
    Last edited by Oldtimer51; 05-19-2020 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Spelling errors