Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default First impressions on the 2020

I picked up my bike yesterday, trading the 2014. It is a 2020 RT Limited with the front accessory light, heated seat with passenger armrests and driver's backrest, and driver backrest.

Color - BRP calls it chalk, I would call it a creamy light grey. I really like, but I don't think chalk is very descriptive. My daughter said it was the color of freshly poured cement, and that's actually pretty close. I like the dark trim.

Seating - WOW! This is better. I hated the BRP seat on my 2014 and bought an Ultimate seat, but this seat feels really comfortable. Of course, I've only been about 20 miles so far. The rear armrests are much sturdier (mounted on steel posts) that my previous armrests. I have a big problem with stiffness in all my joints, and the 2020 riding position seems very superior for me. The huge floorboards are magnificent.

Fit and finish - I know there have been some QC issues with some of the early ones, but I don't see any issues yet. I have to slam the rear trunk a bit firmly, but I don't think it's a flaw.

Rear trunk and saddlebags - Huge! Although I liked the depth of my 2014 where I kept a bag of tools, this new trunk is wide and deep. Yes, it will easily hold two helmets along with a bunch of other stuff. BIG improvement. The saddlebags are exactly the same size internally, but I preferred have the levers to open them in the rear. I also don't like that I now have to lock the trunk and saddlebags separately rather than having one keylock for all three.

Riding - my first thought was this bike felt more solid and more tightly put together than my 2014. Perhaps the 2014 had loosened up over time, but my 2020 seems very solid and sure - good brakes, tight steering.

Instrumentation - At a glance, there is a lot of available information on the new dashboard. I'm not familiar enough with it yet to be able to easily obtain that information, but I see the potential. It seems that the joystick has a BUNCH of menu options. I notice that the BRP Connect system will work with my phone/FOBO system so I can see tire pressure on the dashboard, and I'm looking forward to getting that set up. I suspect it will be a breeze once I understand it, but I'm not there yet. I've complained about the turn signal switch on my 2014 ever since I bought - very ppor feedback. They've fixed the problem on this bike. I don't like the feel of the keypad that sits in front of the seat.

Miscellaneous - my Can-Am suitcase that came with my 2014 fits perfectly in the 2020, and I'm transplanting my F4 windshield. The mounting hardware is just a bit different, but the holes are in the same place. The glove box is as big as on my 2014, but its configuration makes it a bit less usable. I'm rethinking how I arrange thinks I carry with me, like a glasses case, knife, and some keys I previously carried in the glovebox. On the plus side, it doesn't get hot like the old on did.

I'd love to hear other's impressions.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update. I also like the "chalk" color. IMO...very classy looking.

RE: the seat...let us know how it feels after a 50 - 75 mile ride. That is where I usually ran into rear end fatigue. So far...every OEM on six different spyders, has been replaced. I replaced the seat on my F3L at 500 miles. The cannonball was an improvement.

It would be nice to hear that BRP got the seating right on the 2020's.

The extra room for touring stuff, and the fit on those very expensive luggage bags is also a plus IMO.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-28-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    RE: the seat...let us know how it feels after a 50 - 75 mile ride. That is where I usually ran into rear end fatigue. So far...every OEM on six different spyders, has been replaced. I just replace the seat on my F3L at 500 miles. The cannonball was an improvement.
    I'll give an update after I invest some butt time. If I find the seat fatiguing, I'll put on my AirHawk cushion. If that combination fails, it will be a Russell Day Long.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I'll give an update after I invest some butt time. If I find the seat fatiguing, I'll put on my AirHawk cushion. If that combination fails, it will be a Russell Day Long.
    Actually a very good plan. I still have a AirHawk, but have not needed to use it recently.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update, I have a 2020 Spyder RT Limited but I have not explored the screen system. Waiting for warming weather. I appreciate your comment "I notice that the BRP Connect system will work with my phone/FOBO system so I can see tire pressure on the dashboard, and I'm looking forward to getting that set up." because I found the FOBO system online.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Bought my 2020 RT in Ladson (Charleston) SC. 3 hour ride back to the house. I had no problem with seat comfort. Definitely more cushioning than my 2018 F3 Limited.

Spyder Garage

They had to call it "chalk" because Toyota already uses "cement" as one of their Tacoma colors
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    It would be nice to hear that BRP got the seating right on the 2020's.
    I sat on one at my dealer. Whereas, on my 2014 RT-S, the brake pedal is right next to my foot and easy to activate, on the 2020 the brake pedal is forward and up. I could barely reach it with my toe, sitting all the way back on the new seat. To activate it with my entire foot, I had to scoot forward in the seat a bit. This may affect reaction time. I'm only 5' 7" with a 30" inseam. Women, who generally are smaller than men, may have a similar problem.

I don't care how comfy the seat is, if I can't quickly reach the brake pedal, then that's likely a deal-killer for me.

Maybe Ultimate will make shorty seats for inseam-challenged riders.......

Spyder Garage

2nd round of observations:
    - They still have the rear valve stem between the wheel and sprocket, the worse possible place.
    - The BRP Connect is wonderful and ... takes a lot of getting used to (I know I'm late with this since they've used this for a few years now). I like not having to have the external GPS, but I miss the simplicity.
    - Speaking of BRP Connect: I can back out of all the BRP Connect functions by pressing the joystick straight in and holding it, but that doesn't seem to work for the Genius Maps. How do I back out of that app?
    - All of the new trip computer information is useful and impressive, but seems to take a bit of learning to use easily. I really like the miles to empty display.
    - The new glove box holds the cell phone very well, and very little else.
    - The bike is a real head turner, for Can-Am ryders and just about everyone else.
    - I really like the new LED headlight system.
    - I'm about to open the Tupperware to install a 5-pin wiring harness. No idea what I'll be getting into.
    - The all electronic dash is very bright, no trouble reading it in (moderately) bright sunlight.
    - I think I miss my Baja-Ron swaybar, but it might be my imagination since I know this bike doesn't have one.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

2020 Chalk color, rode 387miles on the weekend. Speeding 70-86mph on hiway 680. So far i love it.

Spyder Garage

Great observations that closely match my early experience with my 2020 RTL. I went with the Asphalt Grey, which I really like.

I believe I now fully understand BRP connect and I use it. IMO BRP claims the screen to be larger than it is as it's really two screens with about 1/2" in between the two. A single larger screen might give greater flexibility in what one sees. I've just ordered a Garmin GPS 595LM because I don't like the limited map view I get with the small screen on the bike, and I want to be able to use touch on the screen as I need to make changes. My intent is to mount it to my Lamonster Spyder Cuff near my right-hand controls.

Overall I really like the bike's ride, looks, and function.

Rob

Spyder Garage

I picked up a blue RTL a few weeks ago. I owned a 2010 RT-S for 10 years and I must say this 2020 has many improvements - bigger brighter screen, light in top box, LED headlights, heated seats, GIANT floorboards, no more hotfoot (yay), more airflow around the windshield, blue tooth, faster starting, bigger engine, six speed automatic transmission (yay). I really love the overall looks of the 2020. I do have a form and fit issue with the saddlebags that BRP knows about and my dealer is addressing.

I agree with Fat Baxter that the brake pedal is too far forward for me (I'm short). The 2010 fit me perfectly, the 2020 does not. I plan to modify the brake by placing some sort of shim between the pedal and the brake arm.

I have not been on a long ride yet, it is still winter in New England. I really hope I get better gas mileage with the 2020, the 2010 was horrible with the 990 engine / 5 speed transmission combo.

I am not a fan of the GPS, either Apple Maps or Genius Maps. The fact that you have to stop, pull out your phone, disconnect the cord, make an entry to the software, plug it back in, wait for it to connect, put the phone back in the glove box, start and connect to BRP connect is poorly designed and big disappointment. I plan to order the factory Garmin and mount, similar to what I had on my 2010.

Does anyone know how to increase the volume for either Apple Maps or Genius Maps? When the GPS is giving an audible instruction, it appears you can change the volume then. This happens so quickly that I cannot change and save the volume. Weird you cannot do this in the software like the Garmin.

More to come after I get some saddle time in.

Bob
    Bob H - Derry, NH
    2020 Spyder RT Limited - Petrol Metallic Blue
    2010 RT622 Trailer and BRP Hitch
    BRP Vented Touring Windshield, BRP Backrest
    Garmin 590 with BRP Mount
    Fobo TPMS for Spyder and Trailer
    Lidlox, Blue Sea Fuse Box for power distribution
    Ram Ball Mounts for Radar Detector, Cup Holder and Phone Holder
    Sena 20S / SL2 Headsets, Foam Grip Covers, Belt Tensioner
    BAJA Ron Sway Bar and Shock Adjusters, Heli Bars

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats ups, I recently purchased my first Spyder, 2020 RTL, lovin' it. I too pondered the GPS, so rather spend my time pondering, I just got an el cheapo, sturdy looking mount from Amazon and will use my iPhone until I figure out something better. I need to get an extension and run it from the 'cubby' in some way to continually charge the phone. I can simply put the phone in the box and blue tooth it and get the gps audio map prompts, but I like to see the map. The mount and iphone works pretty well, I can blue tooth tunes, with voice over for gps audio. I suspect I can get audio books as well which will work nicely on the long journey. If it rains, I can put a sandwich bag over the phone, or put it in the 'cubby'. When the engineers don't quite get it right, adapt is the answer if possible. Cheers!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    2nd round of observations:
    - They still have the rear valve stem between the wheel and sprocket, the worse possible place.
    - The BRP Connect is wonderful and ... takes a lot of getting used to (I know I'm late with this since they've used this for a few years now). I like not having to have the external GPS, but I miss the simplicity.
    - Speaking of BRP Connect: I can back out of all the BRP Connect functions by pressing the joystick straight in and holding it, but that doesn't seem to work for the Genius Maps. How do I back out of that app?
    - All of the new trip computer information is useful and impressive, but seems to take a bit of learning to use easily. I really like the miles to empty display.
    - The new glove box holds the cell phone very well, and very little else.
    - The bike is a real head turner, for Can-Am ryders and just about everyone else.
    - I really like the new LED headlight system.
    - I'm about to open the Tupperware to install a 5-pin wiring harness. No idea what I'll be getting into.
    - The all electronic dash is very bright, no trouble reading it in (moderately) bright sunlight.
    - I think I miss my Baja-Ron swaybar, but it might be my imagination since I know this bike doesn't have one.
    One of my questions is how to get to customer electrical connectors for addons. It would be great if you could post some pictures of your tupperware removal and what you find electrically.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    One of my questions is how to get to customer electrical connectors for addons. It would be great if you could post some pictures of your tupperware removal and what you find electrically.
    This weekend (I hope) I’ll be adding a Big Bike Parts trailer hitch harness. I’ll take some pics.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!