Thread: What tools

Spyder Garage

Default What tools

If you had space for a medium roll up tool bag what tools would you carry in it road repairs?

Spyder Garage

Appropriate size Torx bits & driver, mini air pump & plug kit, digital tire gauge & flex extension for the rear wheel, appropriate metric box/open end wrenches, a few zip ties of assorted length, some Gorilla tape, a gremlin bell and credit card.

We've taken all this plus other stuff we thought essential in two longish road trips and didn't use any of it. Our Spyders are very reliable or we're lucky or both.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I carry the tool bag that came with the Spyder, a T handle torx, tape, wire, crimp on connectors, a tire plug kit and tire inflator and a Good Sam Premium road service card and a credit card a flexible tire gauge and a flexible adapter for the rear tire.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

This and a tire plug kit.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Key word for a Ryker is "space."

Spyder Garage

Wheel skt / Tommy bar / small ratchet with some torque bits. / wash leather / torch / first aid little driver . I carry these + a small map to back up my sat nav. Regards. Nico 75

Spyder Garage

Tire repair kit, credit card, cell phone. Same stuff I carry in my truck and wives SUV.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tool kit

When I traded in my VSTAR for my 2019 F3Limited I transferred items from the Star to my Spyder. TodayI found in one of my transferred bags a spanner wrench (used to adjust the rear shock, which I never did) and I’m pretty sure it belonged to the VSTAR.

But to be sure, I wanted to check that it doesn’t belong to the spyder (or can even be used on the spyder) before I remove it from the bike. I don’t want to carry a tool around that is not needed.

Thanks
    Poasttown

Spyder Garage

The tool kit, and the "Tool Kit" info (p.43) in the Owners' Manual leave lots to be desired, both in quality and quantity. I'm thankful for this thread and the suggestions herein, however being new to the Spyder (March 2020 RTL) I'm anxious for tons of info on the use and care of "Candy," but as mentioned there's "lots to be desired" when it comes to what services I can do at home or what I should anticipate when out riding? Like - what are the appropriate sizes for Torx bits, what are spanners, or Tommy Bars, or Gremlin Bells? Yes, if I have to ask, then I probably won't know how to use them anyway. Any suggestions about where to go for tutorials on this "tools" subject would be greatly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Lotsa 10mm sockets, 1/4" and 3/8" drive and a ratchet for each, and aforementioned torx bits. And since we all eat at unknown restaurants, toilet paper, ADULT DIAPERS, small squirt bottle for accidents, Pepto tablets, Imodium, Tylenol, Aspirin, First Aid kit with clotting stuff, sutures w/needles, Steri-Strips, blood plasma, transfusion stuff, alcohol wipes, and lotsa drinking alcohol to numb the pain, prescription pain killers w/prescription from Dr. so if you're fuzzed you're covered. and a small trailer to carry all this …,....,.,_ Can you tell my wife is a Nurse Practitioner?
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

All good suggestions. I like Cash. I keep a reasonable amount hidden on the Spyder for an emergency. Never leave home without it!

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

For me, it is a couple credit cards and a mobile phone.

I am not a mechanic...so if do do happens, I am in a bit of trouble.

The Spyder is a bit technical, and most of the hand tools that one would need...are not practical anyway.

Most of the above information is good though, if you bring tools along just in case.

For me, reliability has not been an issue. Now going on 150,000 + Spyder miles.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That answer is best answered by your mechanical ability, If you are a good mechanic
    you will already know what to take but if you are a tinkerer, I would take screw drivers, a small set of metric wrenches,
    plyers, allen and torx wrenches, a tire plug kit, flash light. I am sure some one else will add to this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    That answer is best answered by your mechanical ability...
    Bulls-eye! Speaking for my '14 RT-S and my mechanical ability that far exceeds what I would do to my Spyder on the road, in addition to the OEM tool kit that isn't much use except for the screwdrivers, I carry a 1/4" drive ratchet, long extension, 7 & 10 mm sockets, T25 & T30 Torx bits, 12 mm open end wrench, small crescent wrench that will open to at least 12 mm, Leatherman type tool, and the usual tire plug kit, emergency air compressor and assortment of sip ties, electrical and duct tape. Since my headlights and fog lights are both LED's I carry one spare halogen headlight bulb as that is the most serious problem could I see myself doing on tour other than a tape and patch job 'til I could make it to a dealership.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I carry a lot of the same stuff as most others (but not the adult diaper guy)and also 2 rear axle wrenches so I can adjust that wheel in case the belt decides to start running out of alignment or if I had a blowout.Dont know how id jack it up Im working on that.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

On long road trips, we divvy up what each of us carries so we only need the one 12 volt air compressor, not 10 of them, etc etc..... since most of the other guys are much more proficient mechanics than me (and one is a retired mechanic who also owns a spyder...YIPPEE!!) they have most of the tools, and I pack extra beer

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRUBET View Post
    The tool kit, and the "Tool Kit" info (p.43) in the Owners' Manual leave lots to be desired, both in quality and quantity.
    When I bought my Ryker, I didn't get the screwdriver that was supposed to be the 'tool kit'. So I didn't expect a tool kit on the F3 Ltd; was surprised to see on page 50, mention of the location of the tool kit. So I looked.....yeah, there's a place for one but nothing there. Call to dealer on Tuesday to see what's up.
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!