Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Coronavirus - what have done to prepare for this ???

I'm not a doomsayer, however I am a realist ….. bought a few medical masks today ( for my family ), and checked my foodsupply …. I keep a currant list of everything in my freezer so that was easy …. then checked my pantry, for dry, canned, and what's in jars ( ie tomato & pasta sauces etc. ) … I think I can stay in my home and eat well for about 3 to 3 1/2 months...… I'm considering storing double my supply of gas also..... ( Spyder needs gas )….. Heard on Fox news that almost all anti-biotics are imported from China …. and a good deal of all pharmaceuticals ( this is scary ). I'm not in panic mode, but a little bit of preparedness isn't a bad thing. Most canned goods have TWO year expiration dates. … So stocking up, won't hurt you in the long run...… be safe …. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Currently I have the spydervirus and to date there is no known antidote. So I've stocked up on oil, filters and gas because I don't see any vaccine on the horizon in the near future.

Spyder Garage

The CDC has stated the masks worn by those you see on the news, etc, were not designed to protect against inhalation of the microscopic viral particulates. They're meant to be worn by those suffering a viral infection to reduce the expulsion of cough and sneeze droplets into the atmosphere.

Additionally, antibiotics are not meant for, and are ineffective against, viruses. They are only effective against bacterial infections. Disclaimer - my wife has a degree in microbial virology and I trust her more than Fox news. My two cents only.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Just wait till this virus hits the homeless population is SF and LA. Those folks are sick already and the coronavirus won't be stopped in this group.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    The CDC has stated the masks worn by those you see on the news, etc, were not designed to protect against inhalation of the microscopic viral particulates. They're meant to be worn by those suffering a viral infection to reduce the expulsion of cough and sneeze droplets into the atmosphere.

Additionally, antibiotics are not meant for, and are ineffective against, viruses. They are only effective against bacterial infections. Disclaimer - my wife has a degree in microbial virology and I trust her more than Fox news. My two cents only.
    with NOT ALL medical masks will prevent contamination - and I DIDN'T say so !!!!! …… I also made no claims or assertions that anti-biotics will / can fix any or all medical issues. I think your wife will agree that having China in control of a vast majority of our Pharmaceuticals is NOT a good thing. When folks try and read behind what was actually said, they often come to wrong conclusions. Nothing I just said was meant to offend anyone …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Interesting since the virus supposedly started in China (most do). My son says pilots call it the the Kung-flu.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Is this the cause or the cure ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    That's the cure, but it takes more than one shot.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, I work at home and rarely congregate with other people. Since the flu is killing way more people anyway, I am not too worried. The wife says that I am too mean to be around enough people to get sick anyway.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

It is yet to be proven that this virus will live up to the hype. Not that one should not prepare for the possible. In the fire service we had a saying. 'There is always time to panic later'. I've seen panic do much more harm than the emergency/danger ever had the potential to inflict. Adequate preparation is usually the cure for just about anything.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm all set just washed my hands.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Preparation by having foodstuffs stocked up might be a good idea. Last night, the news said two weeks worth at least.

I was NOT prepared for the earthquake in Anchorage on Nov 30, 2018. It was a lean and mean week for us before things started going back to normal.

I don't know enough to speculate about the "medical" stuff, so will not here.

And...as a moderator, just a reminder to keep this from going political. So far I don't see that.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-28-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am gonna ignore it like I do most of the news media hype. Viruses mutate so fast, it will be something completely different by the time it is wide spread, if it ever is. Swine Flu, Bird Flu, Asian Flu, all the other ones, never did any more harm than the bad habits many people have, and engage in voluntarily. I live in hurricane country and always got plenty of supplies to last several weeks without leaving the farm or having any electricity.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I am gonna ignore it like I do most of the news media hype. Viruses mutate so fast, it will be something completely different by the time it is wide spread, if it ever is. Swine Flu, Bird Flu, Asian Flu, all the other ones, never did any more harm than the bad habits many people have, and engage in voluntarily. I live in hurricane country and always got plenty of supplies to last several weeks without leaving the farm or having any electricity.
    The Spanish flu did a number on the world population. About 50 million dead. No amount of stores would help you through that one. Hope this one isn't like that. So far "rumor" is that corona has a 98% survival rate. hope that's true.

Spyder Garage

is this the cause or the cure ?

both!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    The Spanish flu did a number on the world population. About 50 million dead. No amount of stores would help you through that one. Hope this one isn't like that. So far "rumor" is that corona has a 98% survival rate. hope that's true.
    The Spanish Flu was in 1918, before a lot of innovations in modern medicine and treatments. It was very deadly, but now every time another virus strain comes along the media hypes it like the return of the Black Death. Even if some of the new strains of virus do turn out to be more dangerous, large scale panic is not going to improve the survival rate. No sense getting all bent out of shape about something that may never happen. I have been sent into some backwater countries, when I was in the military that had most every kind of disease known to man, and I have survived so far. I am not gonna worry about it. While people are worrying about the Corona Virus, there could be something even worse that nobody sees coming down the line. The news media does not have an operational crystal ball.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    My paternal Grandmother died on her 34th birthday from the Spanish Flu.

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I switched to Michelob Ultra just to be on the safe side.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The media is there own worst enemy.

All their negativity creates way more hype than it's worth
    Just my 2 cents. I also drink vodka or crown royal

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I switched to Michelob Ultra just to be on the safe side.
    When in doubt have a stout.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    The media is there own worst enemy.

All their negativity creates way more hype than it's worth
    Just my 2 cents. I also drink vodka or crown royal
    Apparently, you also drank the Kool-Aid
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My understanding is that sanitizing (ie; bleach, alcohol) is the most effective way to kill viruses. I know this works because I haven't had the Flu for more than 30 years (true) and I very rarely get a cold (also true). And I never get a Flue Shot. I "sanitize" myself with a couple shots of alcohol (Rum) in the evening. I choose rum because I don't like the taste of bleach or the effects of drinking bleach (death?).
    Seriously. I think it is good to be prepared and I keep a good stock of food and water on hand. Easily 2-3 weeks worth but now I will increase that. Good thoughts about preparation. Thanks Mike..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The mosquito transmitting viruses, may be responsible for killing the greatest number of people around the world. So like canamjhb, will keep myself sanitized with rum also. I'm not taking any unnecessary chances. I'll go down fighting this pandemic to the very last 5th that i can get my hands on.

Spyder Garage

I did buy a new hi viz riding suit ..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I saw an interesting article where the writer made the connection of the treatment regiment for the Spanish Flu apparently may have been the cause of a lot of the death associated with it. Treatment at the time was (allegedly) mass dosing aspirin, which caused blood toxicity (?). I'm seeing so much misinformation about this new one that I don't know who to believe. I know it's misinformation because half are running around with their hair on fire while the other half are saying it's a non-event. The truth is somewhere in between. I've working in bad locations all my adult life, including West Africa with Ebola and all the other nasty stuff, as well as Hurricane Central in the Gulf of Mexico, so prepping is second nature. Clean hands, distance yourself, run away from anyone who looks ill or is hacking, distance is your friend where most emergencies/disasters are concerned. Being prepared isn't hard, do it gradually over time. A clean water supply, food, medicines, that's all standard stuff. You'd be surprised how many people miss medications, important documents, etc. for bug out purposes. This is going to be different than bug out from a hurricane, I don't think the grid will go down, nor the water shut off. More of a hunker down and weather it out if it really gets crazy.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.