Thread: Genius Maps

Spyder Garage

Default Genius Maps

In addition to being able to use Genius maps on your Spyder when you download it to your phone, can you also use your phone and Genius Maps as a gps when not on your Spyder, I.e. in your car, etc.

Poasttown

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Same thing with Sygic, Rever and the other tracking apps. I make my routes on the phone as it's easier than trying to do it in the dash. Changing the route is the same as in Google Maps.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Short answer, YES you can use it on your phone at any time. Hooking it up to your Spyder just puts in on the instrument panel display and thru your speakers, but you can use it any time, even riding a bicycle
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Answer is yes to Sygic also. The maps are loaded into the phone also so you don't need cell tower.

Spyder Garage

I have not found Sygic to be a decent GPS. It has a tendency to not find places that other apps do.

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do my searching in google Maps and then find it in Sygic and select that as destination then modify to ride it the may I want.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Please allow me to take this discussion one step further. The reason you can use genius maps anywhere, even without cell service, is because it uses the phones internal tracking capability which is completely different from cell service? I’ve never checked but if this is true then the built-in iPhone maps app. must also work without cell service.

Thanks
    Poasttown
    2019 F3L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    Please allow me to take this discussion one step further. The reason you can use genius maps anywhere, even without cell service, is because it uses the phones internal tracking capability which is completely different from cell service? I’ve never checked but if this is true then the built-in iPhone maps app. must also work without cell service.

Thanks
    Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    I have found that having several types of Gps Apps is the best thing,sometimes I need quick and easy gas station or restaurant info without messing with my phone.I use the Factory Zumo for that.I keep Waze going on my phone that I hear in helmet.My wife keeps Google Maps or iPhone Maps open on her phone.This works good if youre in a rural area but sometimes when youre near a city it can get confusing bc the different Apps dont always take you on the same roads so you have to rely on just one.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    Smartphone have Cell, WiFi and GPS antennas. Never heard of "internal tracking capability". Can't even think of how that would work. The phone knowing where it is? Can't happen. Since the iPhone 3G smartphone have had GPS just the same as a Garmin or TomTom. Many GPS devices/apps use other info to help when in trees or cities with tall buildings. It's the downloaded map data that makes Sygic and Genius work with no cell service, unlike Waze and Google which needs it to get the map data.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I have not found Sygic to be a decent GPS. It has a tendency to not find places that other apps do.
    I have never used any of the apps mentioned, but <my> idea of a "GPS" is a device that locates where you are, as in Global Positioning System.

The fact that somebody has taken the time to compile and load a list of Points of Interest along with their locations merely adds to the convenience of the GPS. Finding those locations is not the job of the GPS, it's the job of the app you are trying to use. The GPS really only tells you where YOU are.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I think some of that has to do with their search algorithm. I doesn't do a super job of finding stuff when what you enter deviates from the accepted spelling or nomenclature.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I have been using a Garmin for the past seven years and because the gps was part of my previous bike dash/instrument configuration it went with the bike when I traded for the Spyder. So now my decision is to either purchase a separate gps or to make better use of my almost new cell phone. I’ve pretty much decided to give Genius maps a try.

Thanks again

Poasttown