Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Thinking of buying a Spyder RT

Hello All,
    I am a brand new newbie. A little background, I am 66 years old or young, been riding all kinds of motorcycles since I was about 20. I currently own 2 Goldwings, and a Harley Softail Duece. I am thinking of selling the 2 Wings and purchase a Spyder RT for two up riding. I went to the local dealer here in Daytona, and they have a left over 2019 and of course the 2020. I like the 2020 better, but have not seen a limited chrome, looks like the front wheels are not all chrome, that may be a deal maker for me, or just save $$$ and go dark, LOL. I am scheduled for a test ride during bike week,(next week Now I am thinking of buying a slightly used one and saving lots of money. What should I be looking for. Also I am a big man, 6'3" and about 270 lbs. The 2020fit me better but I think with some aftermarket items a used one would also work. Any input on this is appreciated. I realize there will be a big learning curve going to 3 wheels. Also should I look at the Spyder F3 limited, not sure of all the differences. Like I said I am a newbie, just need educated before I pull the trigger. Thanks, Kim

Spyder Garage

Good Day Kim,

Well, you've offered us a lot to comment on. First, I'm in the same old boat, so to speak. Just turned 75 (still haven't grown up however) and have been riding since the 1960s. I transitioned from large and heavy two wheel tourers (sport tourers really) to a 2015 Spyder RT-S and don't regret the change for a moment. I bought it used with a whopping 436 miles on the odometer and the savings over buying new gave me a great excuse to spend on enhancements. Mine is the dark model and although I wasn't in love with it being all black and black and black, I've added PPA chrome front wheels (with Vrederstein Quatrac 5 tires) and some tasteful (in my opinion) Wrap My Spyder trim pieces and now I do love it.

Even though I'm shorter than you at 5'10" (used to be six feet but gravity gets us all as we age) I found that adding a pair of Lamonster NBV highway pegs afforde a nice "stretch out" alternative. Adding a Show Chrome driver's back rest also allows me to lean back a bit while stretched out and that helps minimize back side discomfort on long trips. Just added an air-cell seat pad and that seems worthwhile as well but it will take a trip longer than local riding to see how well it treats my rear end.

Perhaps we've been lucky but both used Spyders we bought have been reliable as wood stoves. My wife has never been a two up person so when she had the chance to ride my RT-S she decided it was time to have one as well. We sold her Honda CTX-700 and replaced it with a well cared for 2012 RT Limited. What that means is we have one high revving twin and one low revving triple and we like both of them. Don't tell her but I actually enjoy her twin more than mine when riding locally. I've been accustomed to higher revving engines and think the Spyder twin is a hoot. That being said, I do like my triple more on long trips as it's smoother and behaves in a very relaxed manner. Personal opinions and nothing more however.

Regarding the learning curve, the biggies include un-learning counter steering, becoming comfortable with the sensation of being tossed off to the outside of curves, and remembering that one right side brake pedal does all the necessary stopping work. I still on occasion fine myself reaching for the brake lever, mostly I suspect because we keep two light weight motorcycles we ride regularly. The best part of all is that you never have to worry about it falling over if you forget to put a foot down.

There are those who believe a Spyder isn't really a motorcycle but it doesn't matter to us so it's largely irrelevant. They're comfortable, sophisticated, and reliable long distance tourers and we've found we ride more than we used to, especially longer multi-day or multi-week trips. And that's a good thing.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

on finding this site …. Since the arrivals on the new models are here, incredible deals can be had on used low mile Spyders ….. I don't think you will like the RYKER, but take a look at them also …. Currently BRP has two models the F-3 and the RT … both come in different levels of trim … I bought my 2014 RT because of the 1330 engine and transmission ( a semi-auto for me ) …. It was a BASIC model so I saved about $5,000 at the start … I'm a DIY'er so I designed and created many, many Mods … including the Front suspension …. To me the new type radio ( 18-19-20 yrs. ) is something I think are inferior to the 14 to 17 yrs.... my stereo rocks in all aspects …. Having TWO wheel experience could be a real issue for you - it has been for some ….. WHY ?? … because any Spyder Should be driven like your CAR, WHY ??? because it drives and handles like a car not a 2 wheel bike. Best advice I got when I test drove one was " drive it like a car ' … I had zero issues with the change , had a great test drive and traded my 03 Wing on the spot …. there is so much to tell you …. the brakes are very strong test - test - test, they may surprise you. …. also they have POWER STEERING - so a more gentile Grip, and reduced input will work best again test - test - test. Also look on the Home page here for the " do's & dont's " thread lots of really good info for new riders ….. all the best and take it slow they are very different from any motorcycle you have ever driven ….. keep us posted ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

You have come to the right place. Your dilemma is one that many have been facing this year. Bottom line...test drive both and see which one YOU like best.

Other considerations: You will save money on a one year old leftover compared to the "new and best," which "they" are saying is the way to go. It's all about money. You will most likely get a better deal on a new 19 than a new 20. The 20's are hot right now...so that makes for lesser deals.

Since you are new to Spyders, the differences between a 19/20 will not make to much difference in ride ability. The 20's have different styling...but we are still dealing with the same engine and running gear.

You mentioned two up riding. The RT platform is much better for two up. The F3 is very nice...but it shines when being ridden solo. I have owned three RT's but went over to a new F3L 2019 in December. I still have a 2014 RT-S in the stable. In my case...it was also about the $$$. I saved about $3K in the process.

Here is a nice information post about Spyders that I am thinking you will find interesting.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners

Enjoy your hunt, and let us know what you do.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-27-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Coming off a GW, I just bought my first RTL, 2020, Chalk White (dark). I thought the dark would be easier upkeep and looks just as good to me, save a bit on the purchase price and be more durable over the long haul. The white on dark is very cool, just my thoughts. The F3 simply was not a good fit for me or the wife, we are not tall people and the reach is awkward, the RTL is just right. The flat black matte is different, but I purchased the Black Dymond Trim product from Lamonster which will probably work very nicely. I suspect there are other products on the market that are cheaper and work as well, but I'm not chancing it. I was looking at a throttle rocker for the long rides, but I'm gonna work with bare throttle until I ride it a while and figure out if I need it. So far the grips are the right size for me.

Spyder Garage

Bill, use the cruise control! You don’t need a throttle lock! Or a rocker, or a cramp buster. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah Joe, that's my thinking, but having used on for many years, it just felt natural. Not spending any more $ than I have to at this point.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Buying

Well, Welcome to the Forum. READ.....READ......READ. Lots of very good information on this Forum. Just take all the Time You Need to make a good decision. A Spyder is a Fun Toy and therefore it comes with some extra $$$$$ expenses. If you are one of the lucky ones 'DIYer' then you may be ahead of the Toy Games. I Enjoy My Spyder. Good Luck on Your Mission. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

To me, that major difference between the RT and the F3 models is the riding position. The F3 is more like riding a cruiser bike.....bars that come back closer to you but footpegs that have your legs and feet out in front of your butt. The RT is more like riding a standard bike...leaning a bit forward and your feet further back toward you instead of stretched out in front. I rode Sportbikes and standards for years and years and absolutely hated the seating position of the F3. So, I'm picking up my new 2019 RT Limited tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Arion,
    Thanks for the info, sorry for requesting so much. I loved the wood stove comment, so I looked at where you are from, been to Moosehead Lake many times, used to hunt at Lily Bay, actually got lost in the woods up there once, pretty scary when the sun goes down, LOL, I made sure the next time I had a compass. We live in Winthrop Maine in the summer but are selling the house this year and staying down here. Anyway, the 2020 are nicer and roomier than the 2019, so finding a used 2020 and saving money will be impossible, so I think I will bite the Bullitt and buy a new one, in all my motorcycles I have never owned a brand new one, bought a 1980 Yamaha XS Eleven in 1980 with 1500 miles, that's the closest I have come to owning anew one. Just hope the test ride will make me happy. Thanks again for the advice, I have not read the dos and don'ts yet but will this evening. Thanks, Kim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Other considerations: You will save money on a one year old leftover compared to the "new and best," which "they" are saying is the way to go. It's all about money. You will most likely get a better deal on a new 19 than a new 20. The 20's are hot right now...so that makes for lesser deals.
    You'll save even more on a TWO year old leftover if you can find 1. I just picked up my 1st Can Am, a new (demo) 2018 RT Limited (blue/chrome). Welcome!

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good luck with your test ride, are you going to Seminole Powersport? Lot of traffic bike week!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Yeah Joe, that's my thinking, but having used on for many years, it just felt natural. Not spending any more $ than I have to at this point.
    There's no spending for CC. It's standard equipment! I believe that's the case for all Spyders except Rykers.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kimrpaige View Post
    Hello All,
    I am a brand new newbie. A little background, I am 66 years old or young, been riding all kinds of motorcycles since I was about 20. I currently own 2 Goldwings, and a Harley Softail Duece. I am thinking of selling the 2 Wings and purchase a Spyder RT for two up riding. I went to the local dealer here in Daytona, and they have a left over 2019 and of course the 2020. I like the 2020 better, but have not seen a limited chrome, looks like the front wheels are not all chrome, that may be a deal maker for me, or just save $$$ and go dark, LOL. I am scheduled for a test ride during bike week,(next week Now I am thinking of buying a slightly used one and saving lots of money. What should I be looking for. Also I am a big man, 6'3" and about 270 lbs. The 2020fit me better but I think with some aftermarket items a used one would also work. Any input on this is appreciated. I realize there will be a big learning curve going to 3 wheels. Also should I look at the Spyder F3 limited, not sure of all the differences. Like I said I am a newbie, just need educated before I pull the trigger. Thanks, Kim

When you build one of these you can change to several different wheels, I believe there are two styles that are all chrome

Myself I am going with Garmin GPS + tow hitch +heated comfort seats with Back rest, Auxilary light, and vented windshield! And of course limited chrome edition

This is what I am replacing.

and

what I am getting

You are gonna love it!

TicketBait

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Good luck with your test ride, are you going to Seminole Powersport? Lot of traffic bike week!
    Trying to steer him there myself. Daytona Fun Machines was awful! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes Tom, been to Daytona Fun, and it was no fun at all.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are in the market for one new, you will be paying around msrp. But if you are in no rush, you can get the same 2020 RT for about $5000 below sticker in mid September. That is when the new years models come out and the previous year ones are always on sale. As for dark vs chrome, I would definitely go with the dark version this time, and just add aftermarket (or older year model) chrome rims. The ones on the 2020 are not all chrome, and that just doesn't do it for me. Good luck shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Trying to steer him there myself. Daytona Fun Machines was awful! Tom
    I got to stop by there soon to have a look my self! (Seminole Powersport)
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    I got to stop by there soon to have a look my self! (Seminole Powersport)
    Let me know when you go. I will try to meet up with you. Always looking for an excuse to get out. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I am keeping my RS-S. It turned into such a bad ass little strip runner with all the performance mods. This is one of the quickest trips to 100 mph I have ever ridden (car or bike) now and this will be my Saturday Night Special. Which is perfect as I am selling my Triumph Thruxton, and that bike can hit the rev limiters in all 5 gears, I once ran down a Honda CBX on that bike, the rider was not a great rider, but still. Anyway....

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new RT. They took so much of the over accented curves, and what my kids call the "glitzy Foo Foo Level has been appropriately dropped. I like the layout of the LED light (in a line, not all over the front of the hood like you see with some of the new cars), and I LOVE THE FLOORBOARDS.....Finaly you can slide a foot forward and stick your leg into the corner like on a snowmobile and having the full tunnel rail like on the old style ones.

By the way, I made the conscious effort to simply switch to "Snowmobile racing" riding style, and my comfort level on the trike has VASTLY improved. Now the bar kit is in, I can change the bars to be more snowmobile like and that will set me up for good.

But that new RT will be our 2 up machine, I think its the Bees Knees....
    Kraig B. Kumlin, M.M., M.C.P. (Retired)

Only Two States Left to Visit on MC or Trike, RI and CT
    2012 RS-S , Baja Ron Plug Wire Kit and NGK Iridium Plugs Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Let me know when you go. I will try to meet up with you. Always looking for an excuse to get out. Tom
    That or one day when the wife and I go down the Boston Fish house for lunch in your area we can meet. Always nice to meet a fellow Spyderlover!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    You'll save even more on a TWO year old leftover if you can find 1. I just picked up my 1st Can Am, a new (demo) 2018 RT Limited (blue/chrome). Welcome!
    In my case, the 2019 OTD price was similar to the 2018 leftover. BRP had almost a $2K price drop on the 19's. The two dealers I worked with, had a problem losing that $2K on the 18's. I got a 19 for about the same price as the 18.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-29-2020 at 11:40 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hello again,
    I went to Seminole Powersports today and test drove a 2020 RTL Dark in Chalk. What a great dealer especially compared to Daytona Funsports. Coming off a GW and other bikes, actually first time on a 3 wheeler, it was different. I read a lot of posts before I tested also read the do's and don'ts prior. The biggest issue was the lateral movement. I found that if you do not grip the bars so tight it made a world of difference. I am sure after a few hundreds miles I will be much more confident. I am going to pull the trigger, Seminole offers a military discount of 5% off MSRP and 10% off accessories. So roughly $1400 off, basically covers the destination charge and the assembly charge. Also When I take the test ride in Daytona next week I will get a $500 off coupon. Now what color..... I love the Petrol but also want to look at the red in person before I decide. Also they had a beautiful left over 2019 RTL in orange, absolutely fell in love with that one, but at my size it is a no brainer to go with the superior 2020!!! So my wife told me to get the Petrol and have it wrapped in orange, so I may be having a orange 2020 RTL and I am going to find some chrome wheels for it. Not sure when the red ones are due in, another thread says maybe end of March or April, not in a big hurry but I am quite excited, LOL. Thanks everyone especially Tango for the recommendations. I will also say anyone coming down for Bike Week and want to find a great dealership, go to Seminole Powersports and talk to Spyder Dave or any other sales reps, I am impressed!!! Thanks again, Kim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good comment Kim, I too just purchased a 2020 Chalk White RTL Dark from Seminole Power Sports North in Eustis, totally impressed with those folks. I think they 'really care' before and after the sale. As you, I just came of a GW, it served me well for many years, but it was time for a Spyder. Yes, ole Tango Tom has some good tips. :>)

Spyder Garage

Cruise control is standard. No $$$$ to spend