View Poll Results: If you could choose the next generation drivetrain for the Spyder which would it be

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shaft/Increased Engine Displacement/Auto Trans

46 22.44%
  • Shaft/Current Engine Displacement/ Auto Trans

22 10.73%
  • Shaft/Increased Engine Displacement/Semi Auto Trans

80 39.02%
  • Shaft/Current Engine Displacement/Semi Auto Trans

37 18.05%
  • Belt/Increased Engine Displacement/Auto Trans

3 1.46%
  • Belt/Current Engine Displacement/Auto Trans

3 1.46%
  • Belt/Increased Engine Displacement/Semi Auto Trans

7 3.41%
  • Belt/Current Engine Displacement/Semi Auto Trans

7 3.41%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    First 24 hour summary:

* Most Popular setup: Shaft/Increased Engine Displacement/Semi Auto Trans
    * 92% of respondents would like to have shaft drive
    * Riders still like to “go through the gears” with 64% opting for a Semi Auto Trans; although a full Auto Trans has a strong following
    * 71% of respondents would like more HP
    * Surprisingly only 8% want to continue with a belt final drive

Interesting informal stats. I’ll summarize again in a week. BRP are you listening?
    If I understand the Honda DTC transmission with its 2 clutches, it can be used semi-auto or fully auto at the riders discretion. Pitch in Honda DTC riders, let me know. No personal experience with the new stuff.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    If I understand the Honda DTC transmission with its 2 clutches, it can be used semi-auto or fully auto at the riders discretion. Pitch in Honda DTC riders, let me know. No personal experience with the new stuff.
    DCT which started as a curiosity for Honda has turned into a big hit on all its models. I would have it on a bike without hesitation.

Spyder Garage

DCT which started as a curiosity for Honda has turned into a big hit on all its models. I would have it on a bike without hesitation.
    The 1976 Hondamatic 750 had a similar transmission. Just like a car with Drive and Low settings on an automatic. I bought a new one and had it for a couple years. No hand shifting required. Just snick it into D or L, turn the throttle and go.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-28-2020 at 04:31 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    The 1976 Hondamatic 750 had a similar transmission. Just like a car with Drive and Low settings on an automatic. I actually had one of those for a couple years. No hand shifting required. Just snick it into D or L, turn the throttle and go.
    Almost bought one of those a couple months back.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Has anybody here ever had a belt failure ? Is it a Can-Am thing ? Lots of H-D's and Indian/Victory's with years/miles on belts with low failure rates. And, yes, some serious power with built Harley's having no issues with belts...
    59583 miles no bet problems here. (Knocking on wood) shaft would be little more comfort in road work areas with gravel & tar chip.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

As I understand it the Honda DTC has 2 clutches, one for each shaft in the transmission. This allows it to automatically shift up and down. Our Spyders having the one clutch only have half of our shifting available as automatic. At least that's the way the article described it.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Bump..

Spyder Garage

I opted for the current setup. This keeps things easier for the dealership, and the tech only has to be familiar with one basic drivetrain. Tends to help keep costs down. If they went to a shaft drive/bigger engine, then in a few years the technicians will eventually become less familiar with your older bike.

Personally, I think the current engine has more than enough horsepower and grunt.

At my last duty station, I had a GI come back after several consecutive overseas tours. He got his then 20-year-old Yamaha out of long term storage at his parents' house, and took it the local dealer, who wouldn't touch it. No longer had parts in the system for it, and the techs weren't familiar with it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    I opted for the current setup. This keeps things easier for the dealership, and the tech only has to be familiar with one basic drivetrain. Tends to help keep costs down. If they went to a shaft drive/bigger engine, then in a few years the technicians will eventually become less familiar with your older bike.

Personally, I think the current engine has more than enough horsepower and grunt.

At my last duty station, I had a GI come back after several consecutive overseas tours. He got his then 20-year-old Yamaha out of long term storage at his parents' house, and took it the local dealer, who wouldn't touch it. No longer had parts in the system for it, and the techs weren't familiar with it.
    Good points. While buying a Can-Am later this year; my current daily rider is 47 years old- a 1973 Honda Scrambler. I bought from the original owner last year and have been in a continual process of refreshing mechanical items to bring it up to a reliable performance level. So far compression is good in both cylinders so no need for an engine rebuild. Tell your GI friend he’ll need to tap the vintage bike repair network which is alive and robust as us Boomers all want to ride the bikes of our youth and the vintage repair market is happy to accommodate. I have Atlanta Motor Works near by and they do great work on all makes.

7C26A5B9-8F2B-4FA6-BFE8-B3119FA6D12D.jpg

Spyder Garage

ROTAX built their first H2- Elektro snowmobile .. if that technik fits in the Lynx it should be no problem to use it also for a Spyder RT .. maybe thats the next generation !!

https://www.rotax.com/en/news/latest...e-concept.html
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    ROTAX built their first H2- Elektro snowmobile .. if that technik fits in the Lynx it should be no problem to use it also for a Spyder RT .. maybe thats the next generation !!

https://www.rotax.com/en/news/latest...e-concept.html

Very cool. Didn’t know ROTAX was a division of Bombardier just thought BRP used their engines.

Spyder Garage

For the F-3 sport ..a 4 cyl motor....no turbo..a turbo might cause problems in the long term.....horsepower increase to 200
    HP... And a increase in torque to match...maybe increase to an SE-8 speed trans. ....to compete against the the BMW and Honda neo-wing..the Honda is coming ...the belt system is fine for the sport.

Spyder Garage

Has anybody here ever had a belt failure ? Is it a Can-Am thing ? Lots of H-D's and Indian/Victory's with years/miles on belts with low failure rates. And, yes, some serious power with built Harley's having no issues with belts...
    Got through two belts so far, both damaged by stones. A common problem over here because of the chip and tar resurfacing.

Spyder Garage

No one else wants manual trans then?

Spyder Garage

I'd go manual trans before going back to the semi-auto I have now. If I'd have known before I bought...

The Honda DCT has 2 clutches, one for odd gears and one for even. It can be "manually" shifted just like many cars/trucks today. As I recall it also has sport and tour modes.

Honestly, a 4 cyl would be ok, but I've got to say - having owned mostly 4 cylinder bikes, the triple is surprisingly smooth with great torque. If I was going to pick an engine for the next RT, I think I'd go with the V4 from the Honda ST. It would fit between the wheels easily enough, and if oriented front to back, lends itself easily to shaft drive.

I don't mind a belt at all, they're the most efficient of the three drive trains. But, shaft is less worrisome for some.

200HP? Why? People buy horsepower, but they drive torque.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    No one else wants manual trans then?
    I want a manual! I found a used F3-T with a manual this fall and I scooped it up. Last of the T's with a manual. I had a Daytona with a manual, but we ride a lot of 2-up and I wanted the air suspension. Don't know what I'll do when it's time for a change... probably no more Spyder for me.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    I want a manual! I found a used F3-T with a manual this fall and I scooped it up. Last of the T's with a manual. I had a Daytona with a manual, but we ride a lot of 2-up and I wanted the air suspension. Don't know what I'll do when it's time for a change... probably no more Spyder for me.
    Thought I saw on a “Smoaks” video that BRP already has a plan in place to retire the manual trans option. That’s why I didn’t include in the survey.

Spyder Garage

Thought I saw on a “Smoaks” video that BRP already has a plan in place to retire the manual trans option. That’s why I didn’t include in the survey.
    They pretty much already have. The only model with a manual is the F3-S.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 RT Limited now but I had a Goldwing trike before and there is no comparison between the 2 bikes. The wing with shaft drive is so smooth and the Spyder with belt drive cannot compete. Belt is just tooooo long to be as smooth.
    You cannot compare the power between the 2 bikes, the wing has about the same hp but much more torque which really shows when pulling a trailer up in the mountains. The fuel mileage is about the same I get between 38 to 43 riding
    2 up with both bikes and I believe the Wing tank is a little smaller and uses regular gas not high test. The maintenance on the Spyder could be better and less expensive.
    My vote is shaft drive, more cc's with an engine with less noise and runs on regular gas. I like the Spyder and went to it because of arthritis in the hands and like the semi=auto trans.

Spyder Garage

The Honda DCT would be an awesome addition. They really got that one right.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjkweber02 View Post
    The Honda DCT would be an awesome addition. They really got that one right.
    I agree; made Honda’s Africa Twin a top seller.

Spyder Garage

Bump....

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

But do they ride gravel roads or freshly chipped asphalt? That's where the worry is for Spyder ryders. On clean pavement Spyder belts generally last 100k miles plus.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Two belt failures here. One came after exploring a 1 mile gravel road into a camp ground. Picked up a rock chip which caused a crack. Made it home and replaced belt within a week.

Second belt failure was in my driveway. To early in the year...got stuck in the soft gravel, gunned the engine to get out...sproingggggggggggggggg. Not the belt's fault. A great $500 lesson including the tow.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Two belt failures here. One came after exploring a 1 mile gravel road into a camp ground. Picked up a rock chip which caused a crack. Made it home and replaced belt within a week.

Second belt failure was in my driveway. To early in the year...got stuck in the soft gravel, gunned the engine to get out...sproingggggggggggggggg. Not the belt's fault. A great $500 lesson including the tow.
    I have to wonder about a guy who calls a $500 lesson "great".

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)