View Poll Results: If you could choose the next generation drivetrain for the Spyder which would it be

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shaft/Increased Engine Displacement/Auto Trans

46 22.44%
  • Shaft/Current Engine Displacement/ Auto Trans

22 10.73%
  • Shaft/Increased Engine Displacement/Semi Auto Trans

80 39.02%
  • Shaft/Current Engine Displacement/Semi Auto Trans

37 18.05%
  • Belt/Increased Engine Displacement/Auto Trans

3 1.46%
  • Belt/Current Engine Displacement/Auto Trans

3 1.46%
  • Belt/Increased Engine Displacement/Semi Auto Trans

7 3.41%
  • Belt/Current Engine Displacement/Semi Auto Trans

7 3.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Next Gen Spyder Drivetrain

If you had a say in the next evolution of the Spyder drivetrain which would you pick?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    If you had a say in the next evolution of the Spyder drivetrain which would you pick?
    That's easy, a Honda flat six with shaft drive
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Drive

A shorter drive belt and or maybe a drive shaft. This would be above my pay grade. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Probably should have included “Electric” options - apologies since I cant seem to edit the poll now.

Administrators- any way to pin the poll up top for a few days? When submitters update the poll it doesn’t send it back up to the top.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

I choose the increased displacement, since one can never have too much power, but even downsizing to the 900cc in a F3 and instead add a turbo would be a pretty interesting option IMO.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greven View Post
    I choose the increased displacement, since one can never have too much power, but even downsizing to the 900cc in a F3 and instead add a turbo would be a pretty interesting option IMO.
    I rode the snowmobile with the 900Ace Turbo last weekend. Wow....excellent power rush right from the crack of the throttle.

Spyder Garage

/I would choose more power,shaft drive,bigger rear tire,handbrake and dual exhaust.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I voted shaft drive, more engine displacement, automatic transmission.

I see you got the information for posting a poll. RE: question about pinning it to the top. I am not sure that is possible. It will go to the top every time someone posts. You can do a self help by posting the word "bump" or similar at the bottom. That will bring it back to the top again.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I voted shaft drive, more engine displacement, automatic transmission.

I see you got the information for posting a poll. RE: question about pinning it to the top. I am not sure that is possible. It will go to the top every time someone posts. You can do a self help by posting the word "bump" or similar at the bottom. That will bring it back to the top again.
    Thanks for the tutelage! I gave up on it last night but tried again this morning after a cup of strong coffee and was successful. Hopefully we’ll see a healthy response rate.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tutelage! I gave up on it last night but tried again this morning after a cup of strong coffee and was successful. Hopefully we’ll see a healthy response rate.
    Good subject, inquiring minds want to know, etc. I think your good here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I think any drive train change that would up the mileage to 35 or 38 mpg (US gallons) would get my vote. The rear tire life is long enough, I feel a belt is ok even though a shaft is superior (which probably would hurt mileage though). And a 6-cyl Honda engine probably would get worse mileage than the current triple.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SCWSpyder View Post
    I think any drive train change that would up the mileage to 35 or 38 mpg (US gallons) would get my vote. The rear tire life is long enough, I feel a belt is ok even though a shaft is superior (which probably would hurt mileage though). And a 6-cyl Honda engine probably would get worse mileage than the current triple.
    I have a Honda F6B with the 6cyl. and I believe it would do much better mpg. Also, it hasn’t been back to the dealerships not once! That’s a big plus with me. cueman

Spyder Garage

Its easy to vote for what we think is the best option but the real question is what are you willing to PAY for a change to what you have now?

I would pay a handsome sum for increased performance. Not so much for shaft drive.
    The belt has given very little problems over the years and shaft drive opens a whole new can for very little benefit.

Now a 4 cyl 1600cc engine or a 1300 turbo.....200hp sounds about right ;-)

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Its easy to vote for what we think is the best option but the real question is what are you willing to PAY for a change to what you have now?

I would pay a handsome sum for increased performance. Not so much for shaft drive.
    The belt has given very little problems over the years and shaft drive opens a whole new can for very little benefit.

Now a 4 cyl 1600cc engine or a 1300 turbo.....200hp sounds about right ;-)
    Hah! You would think its easy - anonymous submittal by clicking a button; yet only approx 17% response rate Still interesting though 89% favor a shaft. I like the shafts ease of maintenance and the ability to travel over non paved roads without worry.

Spyder Garage

Shaft drive. BRP, please contact, look at, reverse engineer the BMW paralever/cardan.
    The R1100RT I rode for years had very smooth manners with almost zero jacking
    The Spyder would seriously benefit from more smooth.
    https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/di...er-cardan.html

Spyder Garage

Kind of like the old Cummins in a Ford truck body thing, my take is a Honda 1800 flat engine with the DTC transmission wedged in this thing with a shaft drive would make an absolutely wonderful ride. No rocks to worry about with the belt either!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I voted same displacement with shaft drive.

Would like to have easier to fill tank to the top feature, better fuel efficiency, no wait time from key on to start button active, more aerodynamic windscreen (would help fuel efficiency), higher quality tires from the factory, good stabilizer bar from the factory, power plug on dash instead of in trunk-DUH

edit: same displacement in a turbo diesel.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I voted same displacement with shaft drive.

Would like to have easier to fill tank to the top feature, better fuel efficiency, no wait time from key on to start button active, more aerodynamic windscreen (would help fuel efficiency), higher quality tires from the factory, good stabilizer bar from the factory, power plug on dash instead of in trunk-DUH

edit: same displacement in a turbo diesel.
    <gulp!> <inhales morning coffee!>
    A Spyder with a DIESEL?
    Makes some sence for a commuter or long distance, where fuel economy is relevant, but personally I would never want any kind of bike (2 or 3 wheel) with a Diesel engine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greven View Post
    <gulp!> <inhales morning coffee!>
    A Spyder with a DIESEL?
    Makes some sence for a commuter or long distance, where fuel economy is relevant, but personally I would never want any kind of bike (2 or 3 wheel) with a Diesel engine.
    yep. we're on our second diesel VW car now and know without doubt a properly built and finely tuned small diesel engine has surprisingly good acceleration. Of course the torque per displacement is unmatched by anything in a gas engine of he same size. Possibly the biggest negative to overcome would be the heat; but with some logical thought, I'm thinking that could be easily managed as well. Then you would have a Spyder capable of 60 to 80mpg.

Spyder Garage

First 24 hour summary:

* Most Popular setup: Shaft/Increased Engine Displacement/Semi Auto Trans
    * 92% of respondents would like to have shaft drive
    * Riders still like to “go through the gears” with 64% opting for a Semi Auto Trans; although a full Auto Trans has a strong following
    * 71% of respondents would like more HP
    * Surprisingly only 8% want to continue with a belt final drive

Interesting informal stats. I’ll summarize again in a week. BRP are you listening?

Spyder Garage

First 24 hour summary:

* Most Popular setup: Shaft/Increased Engine Displacement/Semi Auto Trans
    * 92% of respondents would like to have shaft drive
    * Riders still like to “go through the gears” with 40% opting for a Semi Auto Trans; although a full Auto Trans has a strong following
    * 71% of respondents would like more HP
    * Surprisingly only 8% want to continue with a belt final drive

Interesting informal stats. I’ll summarize again in a week. BRP are you listening?
    . . . I thought you were serious until that last question

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    . . . I thought you were serious until that last question
    I figured they probably have an intern with scrubbing software monitoring the web for their name. Beyond that - no guarantees

Spyder Garage

I don't NEED more power. but I wouldn't mind it.

Belt drive - it's more efficient than shaft and cleaner/quieter than chain so I don't mind it. But alignment and issues with gravel are a tad annoying.

Better mpg? Sure, but my brother's '05 wing gets around the same as my '14 RTS so, we're not far off there, and I have a smaller engine and heavier bike.

transmission - this is my issue. The SE6 feels like a half-way measure, and had I know before hand, I'd have gone for a lower spec RT and added the stuff I wanted. Either let me shift or don't.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLongRider View Post
    That's easy, a Honda flat six with shaft drive
    Yep- I Google Honda Neo Wing and Yamaha Niken every couple weeks to see if those OEMs are taking these platforms to the next level and challenge BRP. Be nice if one of them would buyout Tilting Motor Works so you could feel comfortable giving $30+k to a small manufacturer.

Spyder Garage

Has anybody here ever had a belt failure ? Is it a Can-Am thing ? Lots of H-D's and Indian/Victory's with years/miles on belts with low failure rates. And, yes, some serious power with built Harley's having no issues with belts...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue