Spyder Garage

Default Securing Freedom Trailer when not connected to Spyder

I will shortly have a Freedom trailer and I was wondering if anyone has recommended products to secure the trailer from theft. In a previous trailer I had a cable and lock and if available at a hotel I would lock it do a post or something solid if possible. While the trailer will typically be locked on the Spyder, I am looking for a reasonable solution that I can use while still paying attention to minimize risk of loss.

Any ideas of what has worked for you and where you got your solution would be appreciated.

Thanks
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Use the same cable and lock. That's what I use.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I use a 5/8" cable and lock and I also have a trailer tire lock use. Nothing will stop them if they really want it, but I do try to slow them down

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

https://www.amazon.com/Trimax-TWL100...2766870&sr=8-4

I use something similar to this. Just make sure to get one with a plate to cover the lug nuts so the wheel can't be removed. If the trailer is not left attached and locked to the truck I also put a ball with the threads cut off in the hitch and lock it in.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Trimax-TWL100...2766870&sr=8-4

I use something similar to this. Just make sure to get one with a plate to cover the lug nuts so the wheel can't be removed. If the trailer is not left attached and locked to the truck I also put a ball with the threads cut off in the hitch and lock it in.
    I like your ideas!

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I appreciate all the feedback. I particularly like the ball with the threads cut off , I had seen that before but forgot about it. Thanks for the Amazon link also.

I will look for a 5/8" cable with lock.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

We lock the safety chains to a pole with a short cable lock. Normally ,locked to the bike.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Lock and Insurance

Well I recommend Insurance and Yes, as many Lock devices that are reasonable to do. The Bad People love to cause all kinds of trouble. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would have my German Shepherd guard it! cueman

Spyder Garage

Lock it to a post or something solid near the Motel/Hotel office. There are many options for coupler locks but a couple of bad guys can hoist an untethered trailer into a truck in the wink of an eye. Then they can work on defeating your locking device in the privacy of their own garage. I used a coupler lock that inserts a ball like device to the trailer in addition to a cable wrapped around a post and always asked the desk manager for the best place to leave the trailer if needed..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Nothing is completely safe. I got a couple of big, plastic coated cables. One I got from a flea market for a couple of dollars, about 6 feet long with a loop on each end. The other one has a loop on one end a big handcuff lock on the other end. It came from Amazon. None of them are perfect. Anybody with a battery operated side grinder can cut a lock or cable in seconds. The best you can hope for is to make it hard on them so they go on to the next target of opportunity. I would usually try to park close to a motel awning post to run the cables through. If there was nothing else to secure to, locking several bikes together through the wheels or around frame parts would have to do. Never lost anything major when I was out on the road. Kept a cover on it at night for out of sight and out of mind.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver