Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Stock Horn Question/Observation

I know the stock horn is rather anemic and I have compared it to the sound of a squeaky toy. In regular city traffic it sucks.

But, has anyone else noticed that animals seem to pay more attention to it than a normal car or truck horn.

A lot of my riding is on back country roads so deer, vulture, crow, dog, etc sightings are common. A quick beep of the horn, at distance, seems to send them on their way. Do the same with a car or truck and it's ignored.

Am I just imagining this or has anyone else noticed it.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

The horn on my 2019 F3-S works better than any oem horn I had on any of my m/c's....

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    I know the stock horn is rather anemic and I have compared it to the sound of a squeaky toy. In regular city traffic it sucks.

But, has anyone else noticed that animals seem to pay more attention to it than a normal car or truck horn.

A lot of my riding is on back country roads so deer, vulture, crow, dog, etc sightings are common. A quick beep of the horn, at distance, seems to send them on their way. Do the same with a car or truck and it's ignored.

Interesting question. I am going to give that a test since that is mostly the roads we are doing at the current time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had SPYDERPOPS put on a Bad Boy Horn and it's pretty loud, but I kinda miss being able to Beep, Beep at kids waving as we go by. I might try to put the beeper back on perhaps with a button on the left floorboard.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Animals are used to cars or trucks sounding their horns at them, not motorcycles. That's as good a guess as i can come up with. They'll get used to us if we keep beeping our horns at them and they'll begin ignoring us too.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Horn

They think we are 'Giant Eagles' and get out of the way.

That being said, l too, have noticed that my OEM Spyder horn seems to make most animals move.
    The horn seems to have little effect on the people driving Cars or Trucks. .... .....

Ryde Safe and Enjoy your Ryde Time......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My experience doesn't line up with the general consensus of how weak the OEM horn is. Several years ago while I still had my 2005 Goldwing I bought a Stebel Nautilus, "the loudest horn you can buy" to put on my GW. Well, I ended up not doing that for two reasons. I couldn't find a good spot to mount it and when I tested it compared to the OEM horn it wasn't any louder, at least not close by. I installed it on my ATV. Fast forward a few years. I decided to compare it to the Spyder horn. I parked the ATV and Spyder side by side and went across the street. Using a decibel meter on my phone I blew both horns. There was no significant difference in loudness.

So when I decided to make my horn louder I mounted two trumpet horns outside of the tupperware and left the OEM horn in place and working. Is this setup twice a loud as the OEM? No, but it is louder. The BRP OEM horn isn't all that bad. The reason it sounds wimpy when you're riding is because it's behind tupperware and the sound is projected forward, away from you.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The reason it sounds wimpy when you're riding is because it's behind tupperware and the sound is projected forward, away from you.
    Now you have me in the wanting to experiment mode. Will have to set aside a little time and get some help and do some testing this spring. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I agree...........

Stebel and the Bad Boy both are about as loud and sound about the same as OEM. Very little difference. Save your money and buy more gas. I will never ware out my horn. i seldom use it. But, it's MHO that if you rely on your horn it will be blaring right until the impact occurs.

Spyder Garage

I fell for the Stebel Bad Boy too. After installing it on my ex bike, and trying out, I found it no louder. Some think it is because it has a high pitch. I removed it and installed a pair of high dB car horns - wow, what a difference. They really got the attention of errant cagers.
    Some think the BRP horn wimpy because it is a single tone, not the dual tone we are accustomed to. I find it more penetrating than dual horns.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Anyone now where the horn is located on a 2019 F3L?
    Has anyone changed their out on a 2019 F3L and if so what did you use?
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Using a powerful flashlight, look behind the suspension for the right front wheel. My horn is red.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Was going to follow up on this a couple days ago but got sidetracked. Not sure if it was a rain event or a series of ruff roads that made the change?

Nice country back road, buzzard way up ahead, honk the horn and out comes this monotone midrange sound and the buzzard pays no attention at all. Somehow I have lost my squeaky toy sound.

Tried several times since, no more squeak. I'm kinda missing it.

Spyder Garage

Wow, this thread makes me rethink the whole bad boy horn idea. It was one of the first mods on my earlier Honda VTX, ironically installed in a “Tupperware” mounted under the bike.
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

When we purchased our 2020 Ford Edge ST in June they had gone from dual horns to a single in 2019. The forums all said order 2018 dual horns and replace the single one. So when we return to Az next fall I will bring that single horn and mount and tie it into the existing horn and play with the adjustment on it if needed to get and good tone out of the two.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Interesting that this thread would pop back up today of all days. Just finished installing the Bad Boy horn. I like it.

Sadly when the squeaky toy sound of my stock horn left, it never returned. Sure did like it on the back roads.

Spyder Garage

Interesting that this thread would pop back up today of all days. Just finished installing the Bad Boy horn. I like it.

Sadly when the squeaky toy sound of my stock horn left, it never returned. Sure did like it on the back roads.
    “Mea culpa” I was researching the options and though I know the bad boy made a real difference on my Honda, I am going to wait before I do it on the Spyder...
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Not liking the high pitched sound of the Wolo Bad Boy alone, I opted for dual, loud car horns. In spite of their location behind the frunk bin, the sound gets out loud and clear. I do have a Wolo on the cage, in addition to its stock horns. It gets attention because the Wolo comes on a split second after the stock horns, giving a bit of a two tone effect.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Double Wolo units, mounted and exposed on the large tube's on either side of the engine on both of our F3s. Driven via a 30 amp relay directly connected to the battery. Definitely louder than stock and gets attention.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    Double Wolo units, mounted and exposed on the large tube's on either side of the engine on both of our F3s. Driven via a 30 amp relay directly connected to the battery. Definitely louder than stock and gets attention.
    Got photos? I'm intrigued.

Spyder Garage

I installed a Denali split airhorn last weekend. Head unit mounts in original spot after bending OEM bracket to 90 degrees. Couldn't find a good hiding place for the compressor so I mounted it in the frunk. It is clearly louder than the better than average 2020 RT horn.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Since I had it off I started playing with the stock horn on the bench. shook it, hit it on the bench, just about everything short of getting out a hammer. No joy, Just the stock horn sound. Guess the squeaky toy sound is gone forever.

Spyder Garage

Since I had it off I started playing with the stock horn on the bench. shook it, hit it on the bench, just about everything short of getting out a hammer. No joy, Just the stock horn sound. Guess the squeaky toy sound is gone forever.
    But did you try pouring water &/or a mud slurry into the 'noise outlet' end of the horn??

That usually changes the 'stock horn sound' a fair bit..... at least until it dries out again!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    But did you try pouring water &/or a mud slurry into the 'noise outlet' end of the horn??

That usually changes the 'stock horn sound' a fair bit..... at least until it dries out again!
    Nope, and I know you said it as a joke, but before I take it apart I may try a squirt of water just to see.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nope, and I know you said it as a joke, but before I take it apart I may try a squirt of water just to see.
    It takes very little dirt to mute a horn! It should be easy to take apart, clean, and put back together.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)