Spyder Garage

Default 2019 RT-L temp gauge

I’m a newbie to Can-Am so this is likely a dumb question, but here goes. The temperature gauge on my 2019 RT-L varies between 57 and 62 degrees. I thought this was an ambient temperature, but they don’t agree with what the air temperature is. Can somebody set me straight on this?

Spyder Garage

If you're going down the road, the temp will read 6-7 degrees higher than the actual air temperature just due to where the sensor is located under the bodywork. Sitting or in the sun,,,, it could be anything...
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

That Temperature Indicator on the dash is really a fairly lame attempt to try & kid people into thinking they've got something of benefit. It's not a true 'ambient air temp' indicator, but it does sorta maybe get somewhere close..... some of the time!!

The reason for the vagueness in the indicated temp is that the sensor IS mounted under all the tupperware & partly above the engine, where the sun shining on the tupperwareheats up the box its all encased inside & the heat percolating up from the engine will (usually) get trapped in the same box & make the display read somewhat higher than ambient temps - but it is in an area that gets a fair bit of air flow so the cooling effect from that will come into play too. Regardless, it is what it is, and for most, having some idea of the temperature, albeit most likely a bit high, seems to be more comforting than just ignoring the temperature entirely.... at least until said temp, be it hot or cold, has an adverse impact on your ryding!

So juuust Ride More, Worry Less - if your knees are in the breeze and they're not being burnt or frozen off, does the specific temperature really matter?!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the help. This is pretty much what I thought. Just needed some verification.

Spyder Garage

That's just so that you can tell the Mrs it's not really hot out here, see the nanny says it's at least 20deg cooler than what she thinks it is. That nanny is sly.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The temp sensor in the Goldwings is in the air filter housing and was very accurate. As long as there is air flow it will read more accurate than when the bike is sitting. Mine is much more accurate than the 2013 St I had.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Another card on the pile for "ambient" temperature will fluctuate from accurate. It will warm up 20 degrees or more if you park in the sun and let it sit awhile. It takes about 5 miles of driving in the breeze to bring it back down to actual.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I haven’t seen it very close to accurate yet. Used to ride an ‘03 Goldwing and the temp gauge on that one must have spoiled me.

Spyder Garage

Ambient temperature and poor radio operation are two that most people complain about.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Robhub View Post
    I haven’t seen it very close to accurate yet. Used to ride an ‘03 Goldwing and the temp gauge on that one must have spoiled me.
    That's probably because your Goldwing's 'Ambient Temperature Display' was actually just that, with it's very own sensor that's placed somewhere to give a fairly accurate reading; and it was probably always designed & intended to be used as just that.... ie. a display that shows you, the operator, the ambient temperature!! And I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the electrickery that controls the Goldwing engine, there's a completely different sensor that tells the Computers what the air intake temp is.

The display on our Spyder Dash takes its temperature reading from the sensor that, at least initially, was simply meant to provide the controlling Computers with info on the air intake temp for the engine; only someone (in marketing probably ) thought it'd be a good idea to copy those other 'well designed & thought out' driver aids, only do it on the cheap.... So the temperature that we get to see on the dash is showing us info that's been cribbed from that sensor & displayed to the operator as an after-thought.

Which means that when it comes to the dash temp display on our Spyders, no matter how hard BRP might try to convince the gullible amongst us otherwise, it's NOT REALLY an 'Ambient Temperature Display'!! So at best, it's an ill-advised mistake to treat it as such!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't remember exactly what I did, but I either enlarged the hole between the sensor and the right side air duct, or moved the sensor more into the air stream going through the duct. It reads quite close to what my GW riding friends report over the CB and close to time/temp signs, of the ones that can be somewhat trusted which ain't very many!.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That's probably because your Goldwing's 'Ambient Temperature Display' was actually just that, with it's very own sensor that's placed somewhere to give a fairly accurate reading; and it was probably always designed & intended to be used as just that.... ie. a display that shows you, the operator, the ambient temperature!! And I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the electrickery that controls the Goldwing engine, there's a completely different sensor that tells the Computers what the air intake temp is.

The display on our Spyder Dash takes its temperature reading from the sensor that, at least initially, was simply meant to provide the controlling Computers with info on the air intake temp for the engine; only someone (in marketing probably ) thought it'd be a good idea to copy those other 'well designed & thought out' driver aids, only do it on the cheap.... So the temperature that we get to see on the dash is showing us info that's been cribbed from that sensor & displayed to the operator as an after-thought.

Which means that when it comes to the dash temp display on our Spyders, no matter how hard BRP might try to convince the gullible amongst us otherwise, it's NOT REALLY an 'Ambient Temperature Display'!! So at best, it's an ill-advised mistake to treat it as such!
    "Pretty sure"???? Prove it! I have had 5 Goldwings 1-1100, 3-1500's and 1-1800 and serviced the last 4. I don't know any other temp gauge other than the one in the air filter housing. Also, to get an accurate temperature there has to be air flow. (Worked for Davis Inst.)
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    .... I don't know any other temp gauge other than the one in the air filter housing....
    Dunno what you're on about, I only know of the one Temp GAUGE on GoldWings too, but AFAIK it's not in the air filter housing, I'm pretty sure it's on the dash!!

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-27-2020 at 11:26 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Dunno what you're on about, I only know of the one Temp GAUGE on GoldWings too...

But if you want to get all aggressive & accusatory about my supposition, surely the onus of PROOF is on you?!
    So you can't be "Pretty Sure"??? All you can do is correct a typo? I don't need to prove anything as I am sure, not "Pretty sure". The device that tells the temperature is in the air filter.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Temp gauge/sensor in Goldwing air filter housing. As the placement of this item is what we're talking about because of the weird readings, we get and wondering how accurate they are.

CB00C7BE-135F-4782-A136-6529FE93B612_1_201_a.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Jeez Louise Flamewinger I made a supposition, & you got your knickers in a twist and want to argue about it... I don't! If you want anyone to PROVE anything, then I'm happy for you to go right ahead, that's your choice - and I'll stand corrected if you can actually prove that there is and only ever has been just the one temperature sensor on Goldwings!

But for now, as far as I'm concerned, the entirety of my 'probable supposition' statement in that post is still valid, and I for one ain't gonna lose any sleep or waste any more time over any/all of your Goldwing temp gauges that have somehow managed to accurately report the correct ambient temp regardless of where they get that info from, nor will I worry any more about the Spyders temp gauges that have, ever since waaaay back when they first hit the streets, never been all that accurate and have only ever reflected the generally somewhat higher 'under the tupperware on top of the engine in the already pre-heated air flow in the intake' temperature.

I might even just go for a ryde.

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When someone says they don't believe you it does tend to ruffle feathers. The part of the gauge that is the subject of this discussion is the accuracy of the gauge reading and the position of the part of the gauge that is also known as a sensor makes a big deal on how accurate the readings are. Air flow gives a more accurate reading than sitting in the hot sun.

The newer Spyders have more accurate readings.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red