Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Miles/Gallon on the 2020 RTL

Anyone have it broken in yet to give a reasonable guess? We're talking 'reasonable, normal' operation without a lot of variables.

Spyder Garage

Great idea...inquiring minds want to know.

I am guessing the following: Taking into consideration "normal" operating conditions...and that definition can go in a lot of directions...Typical first evaluations seem to come in right about 30 mpg. I have found with the 1330...it can take 3,000 + miles before the parts are seated in and you get "optimal" mpg. Easy on the throttle...as in keep it in the 3500 rpm range and you should get around 37 at the first 1000. I get 39 average on the 2014 which is now broke in at 36,000 miles.

The new front end styling may make the aerodynamics better. Hopefully an improvement over current. I still get envious when I hear about GW's getting 40+ mpg...and with a bigger engine.

EDIT: I guess I mis-spoke about the mpg on the GW's. I am sure I heard it somewhere????????

I have adjusted my original statement to 40 +.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-23-2020 at 05:51 PM. Reason: correction on GW mpg

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    ...I have found with the 1330...it can take 3,000 + miles before the parts are seated in and you get "optimal" mpg...
    What he said!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

First 2 tanks, 26+29. I had a GW. 50? No way. Now, my BMW 1250 GS. 52 mpg. every day, all day. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, encouraging info.....Yes, having ridden a GW for over 80K miles, I can tell you, I do not believe there is a GW on the planet that gets 50 mpg. I now have a 2005 GW triked out and rarely do I get 36 mpg on a very good day, I'd say avg of 32 mpg two up. Compared to the 2020, my GW rides like a logging truck and shifts much the same..... Not as bad as a HD, but close. I can also say, I don't think there will ever be a converted 3 wheeler as smooth as one engineered and built from the ground up, as in Spyder. Sure takes a few miles to break that Rotax in as I read the above comments.

Spyder Garage

I have almost 600 miles on my 2020 RTL and I'm at about 36mpg. On my 2015 I was at 40+ and I expect I'll get there on the 2020. I'm easy on it and in ECO mode all of the time.
    Rob

Spyder Garage

I put my first premium gas in today on the 2020 Spyder RTL. It was about 30 mpg. 80% of the time it was 1 up. Not sure how much that matters. Also, I kept it in the economy mode (or whatever it is called) as I am just breaking it in.
    2020 Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have a 2018 GW and it gets close to 50 MPG consistently. The DCT 7 speed sure helps.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by papanorm View Post
    I have a 2018 GW and it gets close to 50 MPG consistently. The DCT 7 speed sure helps.
    Hey papanorm, it's good to see to pop in again. I just looked and your last post was back in September. Did you sell or trade in your F3 and switch to the Goldwing, or do you have them both? I'm guessing the two wheel itch was just great to ignore! How you enjoying your 'wing? Have you seen Joe Meyer's posts. He actually admitted the new 2020 RT is so enjoyable to ride he might consider trading in his Goldwing for one!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Have 2018 GW. TRIKE HAS 700 MILES ON IT NOW GWTTING ABOUT 27 MILES a gallon should get better I hope once broke end

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

The demo bikes, with about 300 miles on them, are getting around 29 mpg. But we are just running around town in stop and go traffic speeds from 30-65 mph.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

On our 2014 and 2015 RTLs last year on a coast to coast 11,000 mile 66 days ride with me pulling my Aspen pop up 410 pound trailer I averaged 34 mpg, my wife pulls a cargo trailer at 280 pounds and averaged 39 mpg, keep in mind we seldom break over 60 mph as we ride ALL back roads if at all possible , riding on day trips Without the trailers we will consistently get 42 mpg, again riding 55-60 mph as soon as I break over 65 mph my mileage drops into the low 30s with or without the trailers.21AB7906-EB9C-4ECB-BA9D-EF4E0922CA84.jpeg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If and when I get my 2020 RTL chalk dark, I'm hoping 37 or 38 mpg, or at least 36, two up after the breaking in period. I will know if am the proud owner if the numbers align with the stars by 1 p.m. Wednesday. I am an easy rider who rarely breaks 60 mph, or 65 on the long ride. It is what it will be and I will be good to go whatever the result.

Spyder Garage

I only checked mine 3 times. 2nd full tank, not broke in yet, got 30mpg. Next Tank got 29 mpg. Now broken in and checked and 33.8mpg. Hoping it gets even better.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    as soon as I break over 65 mph my mileage drops into the low 30s with or without the trailers.
    I can attest to that, even riding one up! I think the majority of my riding is 65+, and the majority of my mpg is 35-. I'm sure my F4 tall and wide windshield has an affect also.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cant say for the 2020 models but I get over 30 consistently until I start pushing over 70 mph. just changed the tires so will see if any increase or decrease in mpg will happen ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks mutha, perhaps I'm being a bit optimistic. Assuming you are filling with the recommended high test fuel.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Thanks mutha, perhaps I'm being a bit optimistic. Assuming you are filling with the recommended high test fuel.
    Don't count on high test giving you better mileage. This has been discussed here many times with conflicting anecdotal experience. Myself, I had the same or slightly better mpg using regular than premium comparing one riding season with the next. See my discussion and poll here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ium-vs-Regular. Interestingly, no one picked the correct choice as to when I used premium.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Idaho, thinking I should use the Spyder 'recommended', I read that maybe bad things happen if ya don't, but seems the electronics would program for whatever was in use. Coming off the GW, buying that high dollar fuel is gonna be different.

Spyder Garage

My 2020 has too few miles to firmly comment. So far it's on par with my old 2014 RT. Maybe a little less, but it's nowhere near broken in yet.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It has really no change in mpg if using higher or lower octane. But less ethanol or ethanol free does help mpg.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Thanks Idaho, thinking I should use the Spyder 'recommended', I read that maybe bad things happen if ya don't, but seems the electronics would program for whatever was in use. Coming off the GW, buying that high dollar fuel is gonna be different.
    What no one has posted are photos of the internals of two engines, one that always ran on regular, and one that always ran premium. Until we see an actual side by side comparison of what happens to the inside of an engine we cannot know what the affect really is of an engine run on regular when premium is recommended.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    It has really no change in mpg if using higher or lower octane. But less ethanol or ethanol free does help mpg.
    My experience is similar to this. MPG's are basically the same whether using 87 octane/10% ethanol or 93 octane/10% ethanol. Always see a small bump of a few MPG's when using 91 octane/ethanol free.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Near me, ethanol free is way more than premium. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

My first tank got 28 mpg , 2 up freeway miles. I don’t know how I could ride one out here at less than 70. Second tank with cruise set at 73 got 32 mpg. Then next tank 29... current tank looking slightly better. Top speed so far: 95 2-up for short blast and it was straight and stable. I broke in an ‘06 Ultra with cruise at 79 and it got 42 mpg. My 2013 GW never came close to the Harley mileage wise. Sooo am hoping Mr Spyder loosens up a bit more so can get a tad more range. And no worries of capsizing a 900# vehicle!