Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default My dilemma with the new 2020 RT

Having looked hard at moving from my 16F3-L to a 20RT-L rather than a 20F3–L, the key RT features which I thought would convince me to swap, actually add very little value to me apart from the Electronic Screen. I stress that this is just for MY particular requirements, and is in no way intending to denigrate the new RT, which I believe is a superb bit of gear. I stress that I have not taken a 20RT for a test ride, so this is based on feedback from riders who have been able to.

The major influencing decisions are -
    Extra 40L of 20RT storage over 20F3 - not required for me.
    LED lighting standard on 20RT..... only needed rural for me...will add LED spotlights to 20F3.
    Extra 25Kg of carrying capacity of 20RT over 20F3 is not required for me.
    Long floorboards/legroom (of 20RT over current RTs) - Still very cramped compared to F3 according to several long inseam riders.
    Stabiliser Bar- not noticeably different to previous RT after test rides....would need upgrading for me.
    Shocks - not noticeably different to previous RT after test rides......would need upgrading for me.
    Quick remove 20RT trunk with LINQ - Already on 20F3.
    Electronic Screen - BONUS.

Looks like I am going to be better off saving the $5k Aussie difference (roughly) between the 20RT and 20F3 and buying aftermarket shocks and stabiliser bar for the 20F3 keeping my Daylong seat, screen and aftermarket boards/ highway pegs, even without taking the new 20RT for a test ride. That way I would still be well in front over just a stock 20RT without even looking at the extra cost of aftermarket shocks, bar, seat, screen, Highway pegs etc.

I will gladly be corrected if I have any of the above screwed up.....and I will still test ride the 20RT when it eventually makes it out to Oz, but I am not as hopeful of a match to this 6’7”, 320lb, 38”inleg body as I was when the model was first released😉.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Good Luck mate!!! Only you can fight this battle!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Ride it. Then decide. Everyone has different criteria. It is very good. Other than a cup holder, it begs for few mods.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like you have a good comfort level with what you have F3L. Its free to test all models first before deciding what you want in advance but giving good thought to what you want first as you are doing is good. Sounds like you want what you have (comfort) but newer (hopefully better improvements). Not sure how it works in OZ but Test them find what you like and wait for end of year for left over for best price. Because you have a great machine you like now you can wait a little. I think there are some changes form the 2017 to the 2020 in the dash and steering. Good Luck Shopping!!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Evaluating your specific needs and applying them to the various model options tends to lead to a much happier customer in the end. Some people get glazed eyes and go for the hype. Only later to discover that all the added features are not as important to them as they thought they would be. For a different customer, the RT might well be the perfect way to go. But when you boil it down. This is exactly why manufacturer's make different models to begin with.

I think you are going to be very happy with your well considered choice.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Let things percolate for awhile; the RT is a new model which the manufacturer and dealers need time to figure out. You’ll get a better and cheaper bike if you wait until later in the year. You forgot about looks and I think hands down the F3 is a great looking bike. The 2020 RT is much improved (looks wise) but I’m still biased towards the F3

Spyder Garage

If you don't need the features that make the RT a better choice for longer trips or the more comfortable seat for a passenger, then I can't see why you wouldn't stick with your F3.

Much of what I like about new RT are those things that make it more like the F3, with more storage for longer trips.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Pete, have you considered moving your Wilbers from the 16 F to the new F 3, they might be the same length ???? …. and IMHO the 16 Radio is a lot better than the newer ones …. good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Yes Peteoz: A dilemma indeed. I was in the pretty much the same place. I know you read my post on comparing the F3L to the RTL. For me, it boiled down to $$$.

Everyone is right on when they suggest giving the RTL a try before making a final decision on which to buy. It is a great decision to have to make. BRP has two machines which are WOW. There are some pictures of the 20 F3L in two different threads now. Give them a look if you have not seen them yet. EDIT: I see you have been there.

And good luck on the hunt. It's going to be fun.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-22-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Yes Peteoz: A dilemma indeed. I was in the pretty much the same place. I know you read my post on comparing the F3L to the RTL. For me, it boiled down to $$$.
    Everyone is right on when they suggest giving the RTL a try before making a final decision on which to buy. It is a great decision to have to make. BRP has two machines which are WOW. There are some pictures of the 20 F3L in two different threads now. Give them a look if you have not seen them yet. EDIT: I see you have been there.
    And good luck on the hunt. It's going to be fun.
    Thanks Everyone........Yeah, it is not a bad dilemma to have, AR, as I like the looks of both models. I’ll just sit back and wait now until they arrive in Oz sometime this year and go for a test ride. For me, it’s more about comfort than our speed these days, so if I fit the RT, and it rides well for me (and it should, with so much more shock travel), I’ll make the final call.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Hi Pete, have you considered moving your Wilbers from the 16 F to the new F 3, they might be the same length ???? …. and IMHO the 16 Radio is a lot better than the newer ones …. good luck …. Mike
    Yeah, I did think about that, Mike......but then I remembered I tossed the old OEM shock as it was looking pretty shoddy after it had me on it for 12 months before I switched to Wilbers. Luckily, I never listen to the radio....

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Pete, I test rode a 2020 RTL back to back with my own 2016 RT, a (very) mile low used 2017 RTL, and a new (left over) 2018 F3L. To me the new RTL rode better in just about every way. I went into the test rides thinking it would all be potato potatoe, but it wasn't. I honestly was a little more excited about the F3L than the 2020 RTL. I had ridden an F3T years ago, but not recently. So it was kind of a clean slate between the models in my mind.

I was truly surprised at how much more competent the 2020 was over the older designs. It rode smoother, handled better, and just took the whole ride experience to the next level. Now, I'm not a bloody huge bloke like you, so that could change the entire deal, but for me it was a game changer. I agree with Joe, hold your water and don't make any assumptions until you ride one, you might be surprised.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Yeah, thanks KX.
    I reckon it will primarily come down to how much legroom the RT has, and to some extent, price difference (The RT will be upward of $40k out here). As you and others have said, wait until a test ride...... I only posted this as I want to make sure I have all my considerations in place prior to that test ride and don’t buy on impulse

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Pete, I test rode a 2020 RTL back to back with my own 2016 RT, a (very) mile low used 2017 RTL, and a new (left over) 2018 F3L. To me the new RTL rode better in just about every way. I went into the test rides thinking it would all be potato potatoe, but it wasn't. I honestly was a little more excited about the F3L than the 2020 RTL. I had ridden an F3T years ago, but not recently. So it was kind of a clean slate between the models in my mind.

I was truly surprised at how much more competent the 2020 was over the older designs. It rode smoother, handled better, and just took the whole ride experience to the next level. Now, I'm not a bloody huge bloke like you, so that could change the entire deal, but for me it was a game changer. I agree with Joe, hold your water and don't make any assumptions until you ride one, you might be surprised.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete, you have some very valid points. I too am long legged and I also have hip issues that make the forward controls on my F3T more comfortable than the mid controls on the RT. I have said this before, if you are very tall or very short the new 2020 may not be the best fit for you, you really need to sit on one and try it out. That said, the 2020 RT is superior to any other year of RT, and I have owned more than one RT in the past so I speak from experience.

To clarify Pete's post, the top box on the 2020 F3Ltd uses the same mounting as the new RT so it is truly easy to remove. The top box on the 17-19 F3Ltd was not easy to remove, or maybe I should say not quickly removed.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Ann, Bill Williams here, I'm the guy that met you and Joe at Homosassa, I'm in talks with the GM at Seminole Power Sports, Eustis FL. Millie and I did a demo ride for about 20 miles or so on Sunday, I was very impressed with the ride as was Millie, not sure where this is going, but Ken seems like a really nice guy, so far so good. Joe said to let him to know if I pulled the trigger, and so, I will.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Pete, you have some very valid points. I too am long legged and I also have hip issues that make the forward controls on my F3T more comfortable than the mid controls on the RT. I have said this before, if you are very tall or very short the new 2020 may not be the best fit for you, you really need to sit on one and try it out. That said, the 2020 RT is superior to any other year of RT, and I have owned more than one RT in the past so I speak from experience.

To clarify Pete's post, the top box on the 2020 F3Ltd uses the same mounting as the new RT so it is truly easy to remove. The top box on the 17-19 F3Ltd was not easy to remove, or maybe I should say not quickly removed.
    Thanks Ann, we are of the same mind (sorry.......didn’t mean to frighten you ).

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Ride it. Then decide. Everyone has different criteria. It is very good. Other than a cup holder, it begs for few mods.
    Cup Holder???? Who needs a stinking cup holder?��
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Everyone!
    Joe Meyer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, gotta have that drink holder, especially for the Mrs.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pete, I don't know how much importance you put on "performance". Just be prepared for that 2020 F3L to be a big step down in performance from your 16 F3L. The new models have the tine rear sprocket just like on the RT and that tends to really tame the beast in the F3. I found the newer F3Ls to be very disappointing with regards to the "fun" factor. Lots more Nanny input really dulls exhilaration. With your height and weight (I am only 5'8" 160) I think that may be an even bigger issue.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Pete,
    Come to Texas! We will have a fantastic test ride, then you can decide! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

Pete,
    And a holiday as well!
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Pete, I don't know how much importance you put on "performance". Just be prepared for that 2020 F3L to be a big step down in performance from your 16 F3L. The new models have the tine rear sprocket just like on the RT and that tends to really tame the beast in the F3. I found the newer F3Ls to be very disappointing with regards to the "fun" factor. Lots more Nanny input really dulls exhilaration. With your height and weight (I am only 5'8" 160) I think that may be an even bigger issue.
    Thanks Pirate.....I didn’t know that.......luckily, sheer performance is no longer the prime consideration for me, although I do enjoy getting the F3 moving on the odd occasion. I imagine Jase from ECU Xtreme will soon have an ECM upgrade available for the 2020 models which will give me enough zip.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Pete,
    That is tempting, Joe.......the only concern is that I have to fly business on a trip that long, for the sake of my legs, I imagine that return trip from Oz would cost nearly as much as the Spyder

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe, you wanted to now if I pulled the trigger, and I did, today. Bought the 2020 Chalk RTL (Dark) at Power Sports in Eustis, FL. Fine folks there and I think they treated me right. Rode it 70 miles, best ride I ever had.
    Bill