Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RTL XM radio?

Just picked up a new 2018 RTL. Loving it so far. Is it possible to add XM to this? I have XM in my car and the XM phone app but it would be nice to play through the bike, if possible. I'm guessing there's no native software for this already on the bike?

HAGO!
    MONK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe if you get the XM music playing, turn the bike on and let the Bluetooth connect then go to music and play what was playing then connect the cable you can have XM. You won't be able to change channels though. I've tried emailing BRPCare and talking to dealers to report this and no response. Hopefully other will help with this. I use the Radio in the Apply music and do something similar.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Just picked up a new 2018 RTL. Loving it so far. Is it possible to add XM to this? I have XM in my car and the XM phone app but it would be nice to play through the bike, if possible. I'm guessing there's no native software for this already on the bike?

HAGO!
    MONK
    I have one in 2014 RT, and I know they changed the radio in 18 so I can't address that ….. however you mey be interested in where I put the XM receiver …. in my glove box …. I have pics in one of my albums on how I did it …… Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I believe if you get the XM music playing, turn the bike on and let the Bluetooth connect then go to music and play what was playing then connect the cable you can have XM. You won't be able to change channels though. I've tried emailing BRPCare and talking to dealers to report this and no response. Hopefully other will help with this. I use the Radio in the Apply music and do something similar.
    I was messing with the BRPConnect after I got my firmware updated this afternoon and somehow got the XM phone app to come through but I lost it and can't figure out how to get it back. Can Am needs to get with the times and offer XM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have one in 2014 RT, and I know they changed the radio in 18 so I can't address that ….. however you mey be interested in where I put the XM receiver …. in my glove box …. I have pics in one of my albums on how I did it …… Mike
    I saw that yesterday. Actually, I saved your page cuz I thought it might be the way I have to go. Grand idea!

Spyder Garage

I posted regarding the installation of the XM "Onyx" radio on my 2018 RT Ltd several months ago. The most time consuming part of the installation was removing plastic body panels to run wiring.

I Velcro mounted the control head in the glove box and mounted the antenna, also with Velcro, to the top of the trunk just behind the passenger back rest.
    I connected the audio output cable on the XM unit to the factory audio accessory cable on the Spyder, located in the frunk. Since the XM audio output cable terminates in a 3mm stereo phone plug, and the Spyder acc. input cable is also A 3mm male plug, you will need a 3mm double female barrel connector (available at Radio Shack) to connect the two cables. I connected the power cord to the empty ignition fuse on the fuse block, in the frunk. (I believe it is the number 6 position fuse). I don't remember where I connected the ground wire. Once the installation is complete, you will need to select "accessory" on the Spyder audio system. On the initial test ride I found the volume too low for highway speeds. After reviewing the Onyx owners manual, I learned the unit has a high volume output setting. With the audio output set on high there is more than enough volume at any speed. The Spyder also has an ambient volume increase feature which automatically increases the volume as the speed increases, which helps. This feature is accessed in the settings menu, if I recall correctly.
    If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Spyder Garage

I had one of those on my '14 when I got it. It was connected to a Sena SM10H. Seemed like an odd way to go, so I pulled the whole mess out. Never use the onboard systems anyway - just stream from the phone straight to the Cardo unit in the helmet.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange